HGNSI Market Watch

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 SilentOne

SilentOne

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:38 AM

Don't worry about runaway bull markets or major bottoms in gold. That is off down the road somewhere. I'll trade it where I can, otherwise I'm not an investor here. We are likely just in a large "B" wave bear rally.

http://www.marketwat...printMidSection

MARK HULBERT

Bulls still stubborn when it comes to gold
Commentary: Their intransigence calls current rally into question
By Mark Hulbert, MarketWatch

Last update: 10:14 p.m. EST Nov. 25, 2008ANNANDALE, Va. (MarketWatch)

-- When I last wrote about gold market sentiment, some six weeks ago, I reported that "there's been an excess of bullish sentiment in recent weeks and months, in effect forming the veritable golden slope of hope that makes it easier for the market to decline than advance."
In the subsequent couple of weeks, gold bullion dropped by nearly $100 per ounce, with the December COMEX gold contract hitting a low of $699 per ounce on Nov. 13. In the two weeks since, bullion has recovered a significant chunk of what it lost during October and early November.
And, yet, the editors of gold timing newsletters are just as bullish today as they were in early October, when bullion was markedly higher than where it stands today. As a result, it's difficult to see how contrarians can reach any less bearish a forecast today than then. See Oct. 16 column
Consider the current level of the Hulbert Gold Newsletter Sentiment Index (HGNSI), which represents the average recommended gold market exposure among a subset of short-term gold-timing newsletters tracked by the Hulbert Financial Digest. As of Monday night, the HGNSI stood at 30.7%.

That turns out to be the same level at which the HGNSI stood on Oct. 9, when bullion was trading around $890 per ounce, some $70 per ounce more than where it closed on Monday. That's not an encouraging development, since the usual pattern is for timers to become more bearish as the market declines. It must mean that there is a significant amount of stubbornly held bullishness among the editors of gold-timing newsletters, which is a bad omen. Major market bottoms typically are accompanied by stubbornly-held bearishness, not stubbornly held bullishness.

Another data point that also does not point to a sustainable rally is that the HGNSI never fell into negative territory in mid-November. In fact, the lowest to which this sentiment index fell was 2.1%. That means that, even when gold's prospects appeared bleakest in mid-November, the editor of the average gold timing newsletter still was not betting on additional declines.

The bottom line?

The gold market's correction of recent months failed to persuade enough of the gold bulls that they should throw in the towel. As a result, the sentiment winds continue not to blow in the gold market's sails.
This in turn makes it unlikely that gold's current two-week-old rally will meet any better fate than other rallies of recent months.
Mark Hulbert is the founder of Hulbert Financial Digest in Annandale, Va. He has been tracking the advice of more than 160 financial newsletters since 1980.

P.S. I find it incredible given the scale of this selloff. The $XAU hits 63.5 in October and retests it again in Nov. without huge bearish sentiment? What will it take here. I demand to know. :P

cheers,

john

Edited by SilentOne, 02 December 2008 - 11:43 AM.

"By the Law of Periodical Repetition, everything which has happened once must happen again and again and again-and not capriciously, but at regular periods, and each thing in its own period, not another's, and each obeying its own law ..." - Mark Twain

#2 dougie

dougie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:38 PM

i really wonder how reliable this sentiment is

#3 tradesurfer

tradesurfer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:18 PM

yea i would rather trust the commercials who are net long and putting on real money in the market..

#4 SilentOne

SilentOne

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:25 PM

i really wonder how reliable this sentiment is

You guys never learn ...
"By the Law of Periodical Repetition, everything which has happened once must happen again and again and again-and not capriciously, but at regular periods, and each thing in its own period, not another's, and each obeying its own law ..." - Mark Twain

#5 dougie

dougie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:08 PM

i know this has been discussed John, but tell me: have you plotted Hulberts sentiment measure against HUI? care to do so and enlighten me?

#6 dougie

dougie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:33 PM

IMO John: i would watch this" US Treasury 10-yr CDS hits record high By Emelia Sithole-Matarise Dec 1, 2008 6:19am EST LONDON (Reuters) - The spread or risk premium on 10-year U.S. Treasury credit default swaps hit a record high on Monday, extending a recent trend as market participants continued to fret about the scale of the government's financial rescue programmes. Ten-year U.S. Treasury CDS widened to 68.4 basis points from Friday's close of 60 basis points, according to credit data company CMA DataVision. Five-year Treasury CDS widened to 52.5 basis points from 46 basis points at Friday's close, it said.) " more than Hulbert.

#7 cgnx

cgnx

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 05:39 PM

Hulbert is such the guru. LOL Anyway, gold bulls should be bullish. Sentiment for gold needs to be bullish for gold to go. Look how long sentiment for stocks had to be bullish for them to run like crazy in the 1990's. Sentiment will continue to build over the next years. So sentiment has no real value as far as timing goes especially for gold. Some day Alice, Bang zoom, to da moon. As soon as I start listening to Hulbert, just shoot me.
If it can be cornered, it will.

#8 jack

jack

• Traders-Talk User
  • 907 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:55 PM

yea i would rather trust the commercials who are net long and putting on real money in the market..

comex gold commercials are very net short (-6,600,000oz), as usual. metals OI sag relentlessly.
Have I missed something? To which market do you refer?

#9 tradesurfer

tradesurfer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:06 PM

well according to this chart commercials are net long and small specs are net short ord_3_0.png

#10 jack

jack

• Traders-Talk User
  • 907 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:47 PM

well according to this chart commercials are net long and small specs are net short

ord_3_0.png

The chart you have shown is a month old, and near as I can see showing
comms net short, but I cant see the scale well enogh to see how short.

The 66000 contracts short for comms I gave is as of last Tue. (Options not included)