• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:50 PM

Plenty of experience on this board and many disagreements ... which keeps things fun and interesting. BUT, if you had to share just ONE very important thing you've learned about trading, what would it be? ONE LINERS preferred :)

For me, it's risk management ... never risk what you can't comfortably lose.

#2 proformano

proformano

• Traders-Talk User
  • 204 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:57 PM

Never fall in love with a stock.

#3 A-ha

A-ha

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,875 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:00 PM

Plenty of experience on this board and many disagreements ... which keeps things fun and interesting.  BUT, if you had to share just ONE very important thing you've learned about trading, what would it be?  ONE LINERS preferred   :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be succesfull in trading; study, understand and practice trends. The rest is easier.

Edited by xD&Cox, 07 July 2005 - 03:01 PM.

#4 norton

norton

• TT Member
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:02 PM

Always start by assuming your analysis is WRONG and that people much smarter and with more recent information are already positioned opposite you.
Please, help stamp out vibration.

#5 U.F.O.

U.F.O.

U.F.O.

• TT Patron+
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:14 PM

Never take on a position larger than your comfort zone. (Don't overtrade) If you can't sleep at night from worry....pare down. Bad decisions are made under duress. U.F.O. edit: Sorry CC. I basically repeated what you said. (Great minds?) :P

Edited by U.F.O., 07 July 2005 - 03:18 PM.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
~Benjamin Franklin~

#6 ed rader

ed rader

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:26 PM

patience. never chase a stock. something i am finally getting better at (i think) ;) . ed rader

"Everybody's got plans... until they get hit."

-- Mike Tyson

http://erader.zenfolio.com/

#7 EntropyModel

EntropyModel

• TT Member*
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:29 PM

Before entering the trade very think carefully what will make you wrong, write it down clearly and put it infront of you where you trade, and when your wrong get out happy you've followed your trading discipline.
Question everything, especially what you believe you know. The foundation of science is questioning the data, not trusting the data. I only trust fully falsified, non vested interest 'data', which is extremely rare in our world of paid framing narratives 'psy ops'. Market Comments https://markdavidson.substack.com/?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLznkbTx_dpw_-Y9bBN3QR-tiNSsFsSojB

#8 PorkLoin

PorkLoin

• TT Member*
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:33 PM

Buy strength, sell weakness. Most traders are essentially counter-trend; most traders lose. Doug

#9 ZIDANE

ZIDANE

• Traders-Talk User
  • 739 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:37 PM

Plenty of experience on this board and many disagreements ... which keeps things fun and interesting.  BUT, if you had to share just ONE very important thing you've learned about trading, what would it be?  ONE LINERS preferred  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One can never go broke taking a profit!

BUY FEAR SELL GREED!!!!

ZZ

#10 securelstmile

securelstmile

• Banned
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:46 PM

Stocks are like men never chase them, be selective, look for quality rather than quantity, one good man or stock are worth a dozen ok ones, sometimes you have to kiss alot of them to find one good one but that is ok as long as you know to get rid of the rotten ones. Once you find a good one, hang on unless of course they do you wrong. If that happens don't worry because like men and buses there will be another one to come along in about 15 minutes. :lol:
The harder I work, the luckier I get.