• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,014 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:12 PM

The Median NAAIM pollee is FLAT. Zero long exposure.

This is how the market looked the last time we saw these readings.

Posted Image

Current chart:

NAAIMCurrentSentimet_4776_image001.gif

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#2 senorBS

senorBS

• TT Member+
  • 10,935 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:34 PM

Posted Image

Gracias Mark, and it only took a 20% or so decline in the indices to get it there, rather hard to believe

Senor

#3 Dex

Dex

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:03 PM

At what point/date on the chart should I be looking at for the NAAIM being flat?
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. "
17_16

#4 senorBS

senorBS

• TT Member+
  • 10,935 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:21 PM

At what point/date on the chart should I be looking at for the NAAIM being flat?

I assume it's the lower bars at the zero level

Senor

#5 TechMan

TechMan

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:45 PM

Posted Image

#6 DrSP

DrSP

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:24 PM

Mark, I definitely see your point. It means we could see a waterfall decline any day while we are happily sleeping. Ofcourse, the NAAIM measures weeks and months as very narrow period. So, the "day" could be today or next week ....I reckon we should always have a VXX pill in the body of our portfolio so we can sleep somewhat peacefully. :huh:

Many of us are comparing the current fractals to Jan. 2008 - April 2008. Here is the NAAIM for that period.

Posted Image

We can see there were above 20% of the managers being bullish during the first 1/2 of 2008 and that was the low. From that standpoint, I doubt we can compare that period to that of now. <_<

Edited by DrSP, 29 September 2011 - 08:25 PM.

You could be a billionaire or an industrial worker or a teacher or a moderator of a forum - Hold a good conscience because that is what matters.

#7 voecklen

voecklen

• Traders-Talk User
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:33 PM

DrSP, You better check that chart again if you think it indicates a waterfall. It could just as easily mean a skyrocket. Look more closely. Sort of a rorschach test.

#8 DrSP

DrSP

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:55 PM

voecklen, I understood the chart and commented on it. The small blocks constitute actually 1 - 2 months = 8 weeks = 40 days. In all cases when sentiment was close to 0, you first saw a 20% decline before you saw a rally. Did we see that now? You know. We may decline as well as rally anytime within the next 1 - 2 months, yes. But, would the rally come just tomorrow? This time could be different. We could see a rally first starting tomorrow but that would mean that Ben is flying by himself without his helicopter. Like pig.

Here are the current blocks:

http://www.johnrothe...agers-thinking/
You could be a billionaire or an industrial worker or a teacher or a moderator of a forum - Hold a good conscience because that is what matters.

#9 voecklen

voecklen

• Traders-Talk User
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:00 PM

I'm glad I don't have money invested with you.

#10 DrSP

DrSP

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:04 PM

Thank you, voecklen. I encourage such comments.

Of note, we find that this study does not imply some inherent failure of active investment management. In fact, exposure levels often indicated managers were well positioned during extended market moves. Since managers are not typically very short-term traders, one cannot conclude anything about active investment management from very short-term adverse moves, other than such are part and parcel of investing in equity markets.

http://www.traders-t...howtopic=116382