Cigarette salesman dies...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:34 AM

Alan Landers , the handsome model who posed for Winston cigarette ads and later sued the tobacco industry over his health claims, died Friday at his south Florida home while undergoing treatment for throat cancer. He was 68.
Posted Image
Landers, whose legal name was Allan Levine, started smoking as a child and wrote on his Web site that he was required to smoke on the sets for advertisements, posing for billboards and magazine ads as the self-proclaimed "Winston Man."
Landers was diagnosed with lung cancer in 1987, and had two cancerous lobes removed from his right lung. In 1993, doctors found cancer in his left lung. An emphysema diagnosis followed, and in 1996 he began having chest pains at a Senate hearing on smoking. Landers then underwent a double-bypass to repair two blocked arteries.

#2 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,025 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:58 AM

I don't know if he had a legitimate claim, unless they got him started as a kid (possible), but he sure as heck made an object example of why we shouldn't every smoke. I am SO glad I quit. I'm so glad my wife quit. I'm so glad my sister quit. I'm so glad my mother and father quit. I'm so glad they invented Nicoderm CQ.

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#3 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:21 AM

I'm so glad they invented Nicoderm CQ.

Is everybody still on Nicoderm CQ. ?? If so, the ONLY thing you have changed is the intake of tar. ;)

mss
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#4 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,025 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:01 PM

Broke the psychological habit.

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#5 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

i
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#6 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:44 PM

I have never signed a death certificate for someone on the Nicotine patch. I have never treated a patient who was on a nicotine patch for any medical problems. On the other hand, probably 1/2 of the patients we see have cigarette related problems. The number of patients in any hospital at any given time due to cigarettes is even higher. On a typical night at the large teaching hospital where I do some teaching the ER is mostly filled with gasping smokers, newly ex-smokers and, sadly, smokers who quit years ago but quit too late. They are there for trouble breathing, chest pain, bladder cancer with bloody urines, peptic ulcers and cancer-related issues, including lung, throat, breast. Not a pretty site. Nicotine gum? Nictoine patch? So what. Quitting is the smartest thing a smoker can do. mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#7 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,025 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

ANYTHING you can do to quit is OK. It IS addictive and it is an anti-depressant. If you keep those things in mind when you decide to be a non-smoker it'll make it a bit more effective. Remember, you don't "try to quit". Smokers who are "trying to quit" are smokers. You need to become a Non-Smoker in your own head. Then you are going to have to make sure to remember that smoking/nicotine will be trying to make you her biatch again for the next year or two, with ever decreasing frequency and power. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#8 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

ANYTHING you can do to quit is OK.

Remember, you don't "try to quit".

Smokers who are "trying to quit" are smokers.

You need to become a Non-Smoker in your own head.

Mark

You can do this without a Nicotine patch or gum or any other physical intake.

You can do this by going to the most powerful source in the Universe.

mss
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#9 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,025 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:03 AM

The evidence suggests that while you can, you're not any more likely to succeed than using any of a number of other methods. [shug] But as I said, ANYTHING you do to quit is OK. It's only important that you do. You gotta find your own way. M

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#10 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:41 AM

Marlboro's home state, Virginia, set to ban smoking
By Associated Press
3/9/2009
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — The home state of Marlboro and the world's largest cigarette factory is set to ban most smoking in restaurants and bars.
Gov. Tim Kaine plans to sign legislation on Monday in Virginia Beach that takes effect Dec. 1.
Kaine worked for years for a total ban on smoking in all restaurants. The bill that lawmakers passed last month falls short of that but generally restricts smoking to separate rooms that have their own ventilation.
Virginia has grown tobacco for 400 years. Philip Morris churns out Marlboros and Virginia Slims at the world's largest cigarette factory in Richmond.
Richmond-based Philip Morris USA is a unit of Altria Group Inc.
LINK