Seven Sentinels Sell Signal

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 IYB

IYB

• TT Patron+
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 04:38 PM

The seven dropped into sell territory Wednesday, then Friday, then today put an exclamation mark behind the signal. Pretty clear cut signal. The market doesn't care a whit what I thought or expected. The market calls the shots, and I can only obey listen and obey. Pardon me if I don't answer queries today. I'm fresh out of insight at the moment, and not really in the mood to try to discuss anything. ;)
“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one.” Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

#2 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

Bull markets create alot of whipsaw because of the slowness of the move up. Most of the move happens in the first few days or week then mostly rolls sideways with an upward bias. When NYSI rolled over in 03 the market dipped for a couple days then continued the slooooow move back up. Very frustrating market for position trading. I guess I'll have to go back to scalping because I see alot more of the same chop until the daily oscilators get back to oversold territory. NYMO is already down to buy levels, so a bounce is due. Good trading.

#3 tuffy88

tuffy88

• Traders-Talk User
  • 797 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:30 PM

A really tough market Don, You might be interested to know that IBD in The Big Picture colume in tomorrow's edition will make the call "market in correction". Today was the 5th distibution day in last 4 weeks for the S&P500. And it was a distribution day that was made with conviction. It could not be mistaken. It was decisive. Still the call was unusual for IBD. The call went directly from "market in uptrend", to "market in correction". It is usually from "market in uptrend" to "market under pressure". Then after another decisive distribution day the call moves to "market in correction". The 5th distribution day today was so decisive they skipped the "market under pressure" and went directly to "market in correction". I will be exiting my trading position tomorrow morning. On the open if the furures are in deep trouble. Later in the day if the market is in any kind of rally. That said I still have no prediction as to how long it will be to the next accumulation day. It wil come when it comes. Good trading. And I say again tough market. Charles

#4 Slothrop

Slothrop

• TT Member
  • 625 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:36 PM

Trading's tough. The market eventually finds your weakness and then exploits it. This applies to everyone -- me too. All you can do is manage risk and take a breath and find your confidence. Thanks for your work, Don.

#5 viccarter

viccarter

TRIN_Rida

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:08 PM

The seven dropped into sell territory Wednesday, then Friday, then today put an exclamation mark behind the signal. Pretty clear cut signal. The market doesn't care a whit what I thought or expected. The market calls the shots, and I can only obey listen and obey. Pardon me if I don't answer queries today. I'm fresh out of insight at the moment, and not really in the mood to try to discuss anything. ;)

Appreciate the post and the insight. Don, you are a class act and a gentleman. Thanks for the analysis.

Vic

#6 cp1

cp1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 387 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:36 PM

[/quote] Appreciate the post and the insight. Don, you are a class act and a gentleman. Thanks for the analysis. Vic [/quote] Absolutely agree. Learned a lot from you Don. CP1

#7 inamosa

inamosa

Patterns-based Trader and Investor in ETFs and Futures

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:38 PM

Yep, me too Things get tough for even the best of us sometimes Keep that head up, Don
"Our job is not to predict where the market will go, but to interpret daily price and volume action to ascertain the facts of the current environment and make decisions based on that interpretation."
-Scott O'Neil (son of William O'Neil), Portfolio Manager at O’Neil Data Systems, when asked where the Dow would go in the coming months

#8 NAV

NAV

• Traders-Talk User
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:02 PM

Appreciate the post and the insight. Don, you are a class act and a gentleman. Thanks for the analysis.

Vic

I second that. Thanks for all your efforts here.

"It's not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing"

https://twitter.com/Trader_NAV

#9 rkd80

rkd80

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:03 PM

Don, what can I say? Other than IBD, every system and analysis has been trashed for the past several months. Virtually everything I presented ended up being 'wrong' and I am equally shocked to see the SS get whipsawed like they have. As Nav pointed out and as I maintain, we are still not out of the bear market woods just yet although there are so many compelling signs that we might be. I think its best to simply go with the flow and as you have already mastered, manage your capital. I myself got trashed badly capital-wise, thinking that the past few short opportunities were going to be the big money maker...lost my savings on that one. Down to trading amateur little positions. Atilla and Sol have had one of their deepest losing streaks ever, with Sol publicly admitting to "defeat". What can I conclude? With so many intelligent bears down for the count, it seems like the time is pretty darn ripe for what the people least expect. Attached is the one possible explanation I can come up with, for why nothing appears to be working. If that is the case, then the next few months should see bulls slaughtered at record pace. DJIA_W1.gif
“be right and sit tight”

#10 skott

skott

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:01 PM

thanks Don. You have not done badly at all. we should all do as well as you.