Entire Pacific Basin Under Tsunami Warning

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 IYB

IYB

• TT Patron+
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:52 AM

Hawaii is under a tsunami warning following a massive earthquake that struck central Chile. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center also said a tsunami advisory was in effect for the coast of California and an Alaskan coastal island area from Kodiak to Attu. The center says a tsunami has been generated that could cause damage along coastlines of all islands in the Hawaii. It said a tsunami in California and Alaska was possible. The Ewa (EH-vah) Beach, Hawaii-based tsunami center says the first waves are expected to arrive at 11:19 a.m. Saturday (4:19 p.m. EST). The center called for "urgent action to protect lives and property" in Hawaii, which is among 53 nations and territories subject to tsunami warnings. The largest earthquake ever recorded struck the same area of Chile in 1960. The deadly wave that it caused raced across the Pacific and hit the Hilo area of the Big Island, where 61 people were killed. Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one.” Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

#2 IYB

IYB

• TT Patron+
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:14 AM

Oops - sorry about copyright violation. Just saw that. Adm. can remove post if they wish...

links

Edited by IYB, 27 February 2010 - 07:21 AM.

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one.” Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

#3 SixSigma

SixSigma

• Traders-Talk User
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:31 AM

Oops - sorry about copyright violation. Just saw that. Adm. can remove post if they wish...

links

Lets hope that Hilo doesn't get hit.

Did you ever walk into the old Huki-Lau in Reed's Bay and look at the wave height markers on the windows?

It could unfortunately be a test of the breakwall that was built after that Tsunami - to date as of yet untested.

Scary stuff indeed - guess the surfers will be out in droves though...

Edited by reddybuild, 27 February 2010 - 07:32 AM.

#4 IYB

IYB

• TT Patron+
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:47 AM

Did you ever walk into the old Huki-Lau in Reed's Bay and look at the wave height markers on the windows?

It could unfortunately be a test of the breakwall that was built after that Tsunami - to date as of yet untested.

No- but I was just reading about it. 63 killed. :o 460 buildings destroyed. Assuming I survive this one, I'll have to go take a look at the markers when I get a chance. Meantime the history of tsunamis in Hawaii shows more destructive activity than I'd realized. :huh:

>>>The record shows that damaging tsunamis from distant earthquakes reached Hawaii these years: 1837, 1841, 1868, 1869, 1877, 1883, 1906, 1918, 1923, 1933, 1946, 1957, and 1960. Other smaller tsunamis that caused no significant damage in Hawaii were generated by distant earthquakes in 1896, 1901, 1906, 1919, 1922, 1923, two in 1927, 1928, 1929, 1931, 1938, 1944, 1952, and 1964. In a period of 157 years, a damaging or destructive tsunami struck the Hawaiian Islands on the average of once in every twelve years.<<<

Just got word that at 6 AM local time, the evacuation sirens will be sounded here. It's 2:45 AM right now. D

Edited by IYB, 27 February 2010 - 07:49 AM.

#5 SixSigma

SixSigma

• Traders-Talk User
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:12 AM

No- but I was just reading about it. 63 killed. :o 460 buildings destroyed. Assuming I survive this one, I'll have to go take a look at the markers when I get a chance. Meantime the history of tsunamis in Hawaii shows more destructive activity than I'd realized. :huh:

>>>The record shows that damaging tsunamis from distant earthquakes reached Hawaii these years: 1837, 1841, 1868, 1869, 1877, 1883, 1906, 1918, 1923, 1933, 1946, 1957, and 1960. Other smaller tsunamis that caused no significant damage in Hawaii were generated by distant earthquakes in 1896, 1901, 1906, 1919, 1922, 1923, two in 1927, 1928, 1929, 1931, 1938, 1944, 1952, and 1964. In a period of 157 years, a damaging or destructive tsunami struck the Hawaiian Islands on the average of once in every twelve years.<<<

Just got word that at 6 AM local time, the evacuation sirens will be sounded here. It's 2:45 AM right now. D

Rumor has it that before that Tsunami struck that Hilo Bay was virtually emptied, and people were running into the bay picking up floundering fish - yikes. :o

Then the water came in....Hilo was built much closer to the water at that time and there was of course no buoy system as of yet. Kind of crazy because in all

likelihood it will by all appearance look just like another day in Paradise later today until the water starts to rise. Be safe.

Edited by reddybuild, 27 February 2010 - 08:18 AM.

#6 selecto

selecto

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,871 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:20 AM

Hilo Bay Webcam.
(still dark)

#7 SixSigma

SixSigma

• Traders-Talk User
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:29 AM

Hilo Bay Webcam.
(still dark)

I know just where that museum is, and the street it is overlooking.

Part of the downtown section leading towards the Hamakua coast.

If we start seeing water from that vantage view it will not be good.

#8 IYB

IYB

• TT Patron+
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:38 AM

Hilo Bay Webcam.
(still dark)

I know just where that museum is, and the street it is overlooking.

Part of the downtown section leading towards the Hamakua coast.

If we start seeing water from that vantage view it will not be good.

We are still almost 8 hours from expected impact. The estimated size of the waves is actually known by authorities but they are saying they do not want to release that info because they don't want people to either panic or the opposite, to minimize the danger. They are only saying that the waves are expected to be "more than ten feet in some areas". I am in an area that can be considered "safe", by the way. Wasn't serious about "assuming we survive". ;) Meantime, though, evacuation is being planned and coordinated, at least for now.

#9 teknobucks

teknobucks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 297 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:55 AM

there will be a decent set of waves from this.....if you have a boat in the harbor Don pull it outta the water ASAP or go offshore a couple of miles with her and hope there is a harbor left to recover in. even western harbors like kona will be a bad place 2 be with a surge. good luck with this thing..;)

#10 IYB

IYB

• TT Patron+
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:07 AM

there will be a decent set of waves from this.....if you have a boat in the harbor Don pull it outta the water ASAP or go offshore a couple of miles with her and hope there is a harbor left to recover in.

Thanks, Tekno. I don't, but interestingly, I am hearing advise right now on a local TV station that the very best thing you can do to protect your boat is to simply take it out to sea and wait it out there. When you are 1/4 to 1/2 mile out or more, you don't even feel the tsunami when it passes under you.....