Entire Pacific Basin Under Tsunami Warning

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 denmo83

denmo83

• Traders-Talk User
  • 300 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:28 AM

there will be a decent set of waves from this.....if you have a boat in the harbor Don pull it outta the water ASAP or go offshore a couple of miles with her and hope there is a harbor left to recover in.

Thanks, Tekno. I don't, but interestingly, I am hearing advise right now on a local TV station that the very best thing you can do to protect your boat is to simply take it out to sea and wait it out there. When you are 1/4 to 1/2 mile out or more, you don't even feel the tsunami when it passes under you.....

Take care out there IYB.

#12 milbank

milbank

• TT Patron+
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:16 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with you Don.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
--George Bernard Shaw

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free."
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

#13 cgnx

cgnx

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:27 PM

It should be a non event. Expected wave is only about 10 foot or possibly 15 ft. Doesnt Hawaii get waves that high ussually? They said the one back when was a 30 ft wave. Caused by a much larger quake. But you never know. So be prepared.
If it can be cornered, it will.

#14 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,886 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:14 PM

Isn't that "10 foot wave" more like a 10 foot swell of massive amounts of water, far different than a 10 foot wind-driven wave?

Hang loose Don.

James O. Berkland is a Glen Ellen, California-based geologist and editor of Syzygy—An Earthquake Newsletter. He believes the gravitational tugs of the moon, sun, and other planets can influence earthquake activity. Berkland said he has accurately predicted tremors based on factors such as syzygy.

"Syzygy" refers to the alignment of three celestial objects. Syzygy of the sun, Earth, and moon occur twice a month, at the full and new moons. At such times, gravitational forces are at a maximum, especially when the bodies are close together, Berkland said.

But Bellini, the U.S. Geological Survey geophysicist, said, "There is still no known observation of an effect related to the moon and seismicity."
LINK

#15 IYB

IYB

• TT Patron+
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:18 PM

Isn't that "10 foot wave" more like a 10 foot swell of massive amounts of water, far different than a 10 foot wind-driven wave?

Hang loose Don.

James O. Berkland is a Glen Ellen, California-based geologist and editor of Syzygy—An Earthquake Newsletter. He believes the gravitational tugs of the moon, sun, and other planets can influence earthquake activity. Berkland said he has accurately predicted tremors based on factors such as syzygy.

"Syzygy" refers to the alignment of three celestial objects. Syzygy of the sun, Earth, and moon occur twice a month, at the full and new moons. At such times, gravitational forces are at a maximum, especially when the bodies are close together, Berkland said.

But Bellini, the U.S. Geological Survey geophysicist, said, "There is still no known observation of an effect related to the moon and seismicity."
LINK

Yes - it's really like the tide taking the entire water level ten feet higher than normal, which can bring the water inland a long way. Put another way, if you are at an elevation of 9 feet and anywhere near the shore, you are gonna get flooded. ;)

Thanks for the well wishes all.

Sirens going off here every hour as we wait.....Should hit Hilo Bay first at 4:19 PM EST (11:19 AM Local Time). We expect to loose some utilities, but I'm in a safe place with wife and puppy, and adequate emergency supplies. :) D
“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one.” Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

#16 TechMan

TechMan

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:53 PM

What!? And, this is happening to Hi, my favorite place in the world right now!? I haven't even turned on the news yet. My best wishes to you and the beautiful people on the islands. Be safe...

#17 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,886 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:33 PM

"11:19 AM Local Time" With a full moon that will be nearing high tide.

At least there is plenty of warning, unlike 2004.
Posted Image

#18 capgain55

capgain55

• Traders-Talk User
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:40 PM

"11:19 AM Local Time" With a full moon that will be nearing high tide.

At least there is plenty of warning, unlike 2004.
Posted Image

Glad to hear you're in a safe place Don. I don't think anyone knows what it will be really like, until it gets there.

cap.

#19 milbank

milbank

• TT Patron+
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:43 PM

Live video of Waikiki beach. . .

http://www.honolulua...emplate=mogulus

Fortunately, it doesn't look bad at all.

Edited by milbank, 27 February 2010 - 05:45 PM.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
--George Bernard Shaw

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free."
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

#20 IYB

IYB

• TT Patron+
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:57 PM

I'm watching from a very high vantage point, and it's actually pretty spectacular to watch big reefs become exposed as the water draws out... then the water flow reverses and washes back inward over the reefs and they disappear before your eyes - all in a 10 minute time frame. It appears that the size has been limited to only about a meter - so far at least....but it is for real. Meantime, btw, hundreds of boats all headed out to sea - looks like a gigantic regatta. So most likely (unless there's more to come) all this was was a dress rehearsal for a "killer tsunami" which may come some time down the road, months, years, who knows? But it's good to see that all of the warning systems and emergency plans "work" as they should. No harm done, and its a great show. :)

Edited by IYB, 27 February 2010 - 06:01 PM.

“Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one.” Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds