"History, history! We fools, what do we know or care"

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#11 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:52 PM

Sometimes it hard to see if the glass is half full or half empty.

So going with half full for now. Holding partial position on NYSI Sep 1 buy-- TNA up 13 percent and making no progress. :o

Don't know if StockCharts will show it on the chart above, but I have the NYMO in TradeStation on an uptick, and prices have upticked some on the major indices, which hints we may have another up monster Monday. Was tempted to add on more TNA or UPRO but held off because the NYMO often likes to lick the zero line in this time frame before resuming the rally.

Will try to jump all over it if it break across the highs of this week. Play defense and day trade otherwise.

Have a good weekend, everyone. :)

Jumped on the cross over last week's highs. The glass is full. :)

Taking some profits on today's long into this squeeze. Wildly overbought intraday. Looks like a bear capitulation. Will be paying close attention to the open tomorrow.

Call the glass three-quarters full. :)

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#12 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:58 PM

Taking profits on the rest of yesterday's buy. About 7 percent on TNA.

Holding a half position on the Sept. 1 NYSI buy -- currently up 22 percent.

When the NYSI trade concludes or is stopped out, it will be posted here:

SWING WAVES BIG MAC ATTACK

Good trading to everyone. :)

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#13 StillLearnin

StillLearnin

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:55 PM

Diogenes227, I have loosely followed your posts on TT and at a quick glance you seem to do well trading by using the NYSI and NYMO Osc. However for fear of letting other readers think you can trade alone by using the rising/following NYSI i present the data below.. Since 7/15/02 (I have ADV/DEC data back to 5/15/02) Same day returns buying 10k SPY on all days....ie Baseline...buy close sell next days close. Avg Profit/Trade $2.02 Avg Position Size $9,941.03 Avg % Gain/Trade 0.020% Avg % Gain/Bar ??? Gross profit $4,165.56 Maximum Drawdown $983.00 Commissions $0.00 Average Drawdown $43.72 Net Profit $4,165.56 Ratio Avg Win/Avg Loss 0.88 Total # Of Trades 2063 Percent Profitable 54% Winning Trades 1115 Losing Trades 939 Largest Winning Trade $1,439.20 Largest Losing Trade $983.00 Average Winning Trade $84.62 Average Losing Trade $96.05 Max Consec. Winners 14 Max Consec. Losers 8 Avg # Bars In Winners 0 Avg # Bars In Losers 0 Now when NYSI is rising Avg Profit/Trade $1.96 Avg Position Size $9,940.75 Avg % Gain/Trade 0.020% Avg % Gain/Bar ??? Gross profit $2,199.36 Maximum Drawdown $885.78 Commissions $0.00 Average Drawdown $37.84 Net Profit $2,199.36 Ratio Avg Win/Avg Loss 0.90 Total # Of Trades 1120 Percent Profitable 53% Winning Trades 601 Losing Trades 516 Largest Winning Trade $716.30 Largest Losing Trade $885.78 Average Winning Trade $74.18 Average Losing Trade $82.13 Max Consec. Winners 14 Max Consec. Losers 8 Avg # Bars In Winners 0 Avg # Bars In Losers 0 When it is falling Avg Profit/Trade $2.08 Avg Position Size $9,941.35 Avg % Gain/Trade 0.021% Avg % Gain/Bar ??? Gross profit $1,958.37 Maximum Drawdown $983.00 Commissions $0.00 Average Drawdown $50.70 Net Profit $1,958.37 Ratio Avg Win/Avg Loss 0.86 Total # Of Trades 943 Percent Profitable 54% Winning Trades 514 Losing Trades 423 Largest Winning Trade $1,439.20 Largest Losing Trade $983.00 Average Winning Trade $96.83 Average Losing Trade $113.03 Max Consec. Winners 11 Max Consec. Losers 7 Avg # Bars In Winners 0 Avg # Bars In Losers 0 Unless im looking at it wrong i see little value in using a rising/following NYSI by itself. I realize you use other tools as well but reading this thread you would not expect to find the results i show for trading NYSI alone. SL PS Sorry everyone the tables showed up nicely before i hit submit You can probably still make out the data enough to get the pt.

Edited by StillLearnin, 21 September 2010 - 02:56 PM.

#14 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 04:51 PM

StillLearnin, Thanks for this post. Shows you still learning and and thinking critically. "Unless i'm looking at it wrong i see little value in using a rising/following NYSI by itself. I realize you use other tools as well but reading this thread you would not expect to find the results i show for trading NYSI alone." Let me address that conclusion from your post. First I have to say I've said over and over again that the NYSI is context for which side of the market to be on. You want the NYSI on your side whenever you trade, period. I would contend following the NYSI in that context is of great value. They may not want to admit it but ask anyone who has been short for or during the past 14 days. I would also contend the NYSI by itself may be of "less value" but not necessarily of "little value." Second, you are looking at what to trade wrong. Do not trade SPY. I never have. And don't trade QQQQ, or even IWM. In my postings I've always cited 3X and sometimes 2X ETFs as the trading vehicles (and maybe mentioned SPX for comparison). You want as much leverage as you can get. Before the 3X ETFs were created, I traded baskets (still do sometimes) of high-high-beta stocks (the most dangerously volatile stocks I could find) on full margin to get the results 2X and 3X ETFs can now give automatically. You want trading vehicles that outperform any move in the market because you are only going to own it while the market is going up. We are swing trading here. A couple of quick examples -- if you bought $1 million worth of SPY on every trade during the past year whenever the NYSI turned up and sold it every time the NYSI turned down, you would be up $12,000 at the moment on 20 trades, or 1.2 percent, so that is of "little value." If you traded TNA on the same 20 turns in the NYSI you would be up $170,000, 17 percent at this moment. Not all that fantastic but that's better than IBD signals and in the world of big hedge funds, that number year after year could make you a legend. That's only one year since TNA is not that old. Let me give you the example of some stocks. If you trade $1 million (no compounding) on every trade for the past eight years (that's back to 2002) in SPY, you would be down $80,000 -- DOWN! In AAPL the same $1 million on every turn in the NYSI would have you UP $1.9 million, up 190 percent. AMZN up $723 thousand. CAT up $1 million. Of course, picking the right stocks is an art onto itself (INTC would have you down nearly 100 percent). But picking them in context with the NYSI is of great value. Stocks that are bullish are more bullish with the market, measured by the NYSI, on their side (if any stock you pick that won't move with the market, when is it going to move?). Let's go back to the index ETFs. As I've said again and again the NYSI lags -- it lags the upturns and lags the downturns. Given that, it is still context for trading with the NYMO. The NYMO can beat the lag on the NYSI -- go study the lows above lows (sometimes as divergences, and I've talked about them a lot) that come before the NYSI turns up and conversely the highs below highs before the NYSI downturns. TNA since the last low above a low before the NYSI turn (Aug 31, see the chart) is up more than 33 percent on the close today. And don't be afraid of taking a fantastic profit. You'll notice in my threads I often mention something like TNA is up 22 percent since the NYSI buy 14 days ago (I think I did say that today). If you have that 14-day profit, you might was to take it and wipe out your SPY test for the last...what...eight years? There, I hope that clears up a lot, and helps. I would agree that the NYSI is of "less value" unto itself -- but, I repeat, of great value as context, and in context with the NYMO, it can be of fantastic value. Keep testing and good trading to you. :)

#15 alexthered

alexthered

• Traders-Talk User
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:40 AM

You only know NYSI is rising or falling after the fact though. The first couple of days "dots", how do you know to get out of longs and short?

Thank you.

After the fact?

The NYSI is all context but I use the NYMO to fine tune the turns since the NYSI tends to lag (the NYMO lows above lows preceding the NYSI turn on the chart above as an example).

However, for simplicity's sake, buy the first "dot" up on the NYSI. Buy as much leverage as you can stand. This is swing trading. UPRO is up nearly 13 percent since that first "dot" up and probably going higher still. TNA (my favorite) is up 11.7 percent since that Sept 1 turn on the NYSI. That's ten trading days ago.

Ten days. :)

There is no after the fact here. Only what you're willing to believe.

OK yesterday the first "dot" drop on the NYSI. So this morning, I shorted by buying TZA at the open at 28.34.

#16 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:32 AM

alex,

There is a discussion of today's action here well as on Swing Waves yesterday:

MONSTER FRIDAY

You've taken the correct trade so far even if it's a loser at the moment. In the context of a down NYSI from yesterday, you shorted a rally on the open today. The day is not done and the little loser you're looking at now may be a winner on the close. However, if this rally holds to the close, the NYSI will likely be up so stop it out, or if you prefer, stop it out on Monday's open, or stop it at whatever is your personal risk tolerance. No indicator is perfect, so always use stops you are comfortable with. There are always other trades to take as long as you don't take yourself out of the game.

Good trading to you.

#17 alexthered

alexthered

• Traders-Talk User
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:40 AM

I sold my TZA at 26.68, a loss from the 28.34 that I paid, about 6%. I bought TNA due to Friday's closing "up" dot in summation index and paid 46.07.

#18 alexthered

alexthered

• Traders-Talk User
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:50 PM

Summation index "down" dot today. I will flip back short tomorrow at the open. This constant flipping back-and-forth could be indicating a change in trend.

#19 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:24 AM

Summation index "down" dot today. I will flip back short tomorrow at the open. This constant flipping back-and-forth could be indicating a change in trend.

I just went out and saw that StockCharts actually has the NYSI down 1 point. I have it up 6 pts in TradeStation. The NASI is up 15 points on StockCharts, and the Russell version of the summation index is up 17 in TradeStation.

This is confounding because there are variances in the advance/decline numbers used in McClellan calculations. So is it really down? I'm sure tomorrow will the tell. Regardless, there is another high below a high in the NYMO which is ominous. I update the charts on Swing Waves to show that.

The way I'm going to play this is to tighten my stops. I basically want the market go straight up tomorrow or I'll go to the sidelines to see how it plays and then try to get back with it, long or short, when it more clearly shows its hand..

And yes, these kind of whipsaws do often foretell a change of trend. They are an obvious track of uncertainty in market direction.

Sorry you're getting caught in this whipsaw apparently right off the bat. They comes sometimes, not all that frequently but they are truly painful.

#20 alexthered

alexthered

• Traders-Talk User
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:55 AM

Sold TNA at 45.96 at the open. Bought TZA at same time 26.70. Great trade so far.