it doesnt stop

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 dasein

dasein

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:24 AM

2011-04-11 08:16:13 UPDATED: (Mw 7.1) EASTERN HONSHU, JAPAN 37.0 140.5 and a 6.1 quake in Kyushu (southern Island)
best,
klh

#2 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:26 AM

it doesn't stop

No, it doesn't as we live on a planet of molten rock. The crust moves (earthquakes) constantly. After shocks from the initial break in the plate will go on for years as the plates settle in their new positions.

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#3 milbank

milbank

• TT Patron+
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:22 AM

it doesn't stop

No, it doesn't as we live on a planet of molten rock. The crust moves (earthquakes) constantly. After shocks from the initial break in the plate will go on for years as the plates settle in their new positions.

Fib

Wasn't it you fib that said the whole island moved 13 feet east after the initial 9.0?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
--George Bernard Shaw

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free."
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

#4 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:51 AM

Maybe the reactors should have been built on floating mobile homes. :o

#5 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:54 AM

Wasn't it you fib that said the whole island moved 13 feet east after the initial 9.0?

Yes..Japan is now 13 feet closer to the United States.

It also speed up the rotation of the planet by a few milliseconds AND tilted the earth on its axis.

Fib

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

#6 dasein

dasein

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:19 AM

Fib -

you are not reporting the whole story - as per the USGS:

"At this point, we know that one GPS station moved 2.4 meters (8 feet), and we have seen a map from GSI (Geospatial Information Authority) in Japan showing the pattern of shift over a large area is consistent with about that much shift of the land mass," said Kenneth Hudnut, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).

and

"Global positioning stations closest to the epicenter jumped eastward by up to 13 feet.

Japan is “wider than it was before,” said Ross Stein, a geophysicist at the United States Geological Survey.

Meanwhile, NASA scientists calculated that the redistribution of mass by the earthquake might have shortened the day by a couple of millionths of a second and tilted the Earth’s axis slightly.

Not all of Japan jumped 13 feet closer to the United States, said Kenneth W. Hudnut, a geophysicist with the United States Geological Survey. The shifts occurred mostly in the area closest to the epicenter, and stations farther away reported much less movement.

That part of Asia, to the surprise of many who look at the geological map, sits on the North American tectonic plate, which wraps up and around the Pacific plate and extends a tentacle southward that part of Japan sits atop. The Pacific plate is moving about 3.5 inches a year in a west-northwest direction, and in that collision — what geologists call a subduction zone — the Pacific plate dives under the North American plate.

In the same way, the North American plate buckles, and the eastern part of Japan is slowly pushed to the west. But when the earthquake, which occurred offshore, released the tension, the land jumped back to the east.

As it unbuckled, a 250-mile-long coastal section of Japan dropped in altitude by two feet, which allowed the tsunami to travel farther and faster onto land, Dr. Stein said.

On a larger scale, the unbuckling and shifting moved the planet’s mass, on average, closer to its center, and just as a figure skater who spins faster when drawing the arms closer, the Earth’s rotation speeds up. Richard S. Gross, a scientist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, calculated that the length of the day was shortened by 1.8 millionths of a second.

The earthquake also shifted the so-called figure axis of the Earth, which is the axis that the Earth’s mass is balanced around. Dr. Gross said his calculations indicated a shift of 6.5 inches in where the figure axis intersects the surface of the planet. That figure axis is near, but does not quite align with, the rotational axis that the Earth spins around.

Earlier great earthquakes also changed the axis and shortened the day. The magnitude-8.8 earthquake in Chile last year shortened the day by 1.26 millionths of a second and moved the axis by about three inches, while the Sumatra earthquake in 2004 shortened the day by 6.8 millionths of a second, Dr. Gross said.

Such changes are not unusual, and even without earthquakes, changes in ocean currents and atmospheric conditions usually have even greater effects. “The Earth is always wobbling, and the length of the day is always changing,” Dr. Gross said....."

A version of this article appeared in print on March 14, 2011, on page A8 of the New York edition.
best,
klh

#7 dasein

dasein

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:32 AM

but the real prize is for your smug but misleading "out of contexting" is "No, it doesn't as we live on a planet of molten rock." your comment only sets this well-known truism into an incompatable context - as such, your "No" in no causal way relates to the length and size of the aftershocks of the March quake - in particular that of 7.1 magnitude that was being discussed here - such an "aftershock" is very unusual, e.g. in a "typical" earthquake, and even last years Chile quake, aftershocks of this magnitude would have already stopped. In this case they have not. In both cases we still live on a planet of molten rock. a little bit of knowlege is a dangerous thing, so rather, I will look forward to your postings of market charts instead.
best,
klh

#8 milbank

milbank

• TT Patron+
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:39 AM

It also speed up the rotation of the planet by a few milliseconds AND tilted the earth on its axis.

Fib

Reminds me of an interlude I had with a certain lady I once knew.

Edited by milbank, 11 April 2011 - 10:45 AM.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
--George Bernard Shaw

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free."
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

#9 andr99

andr99

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,448 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:56 AM

it doesn't stop

...............................as the plates settle in their new positions.
Fib

Fib, the conclusion I get to reading your comment is that you don' t have the poorest idea of what an earthquake is. I could try to explain the whole thing to you but 1) I have no time and will 2) It's needed a much more elaborated English than mine to do that and given that I express myself in English like a 10 years old american.................... or even worse...............I can' t explain to you anything

Edited by andr99, 11 April 2011 - 10:57 AM.

forever and only a V-E-N-E-T-K-E-N - langbard

#10 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:58 AM

"No, it doesn't as we live on a planet of molten rock." your comment only sets this well-known truism into an incompatable context - as such, your "No" in no causal way relates to the length and size of the aftershocks of the March quake - in particular that of 7.1 magnitude that was being discussed here - such an "aftershock" is very unusual, e.g. in a "typical" earthquake, and even last years Chile quake, aftershocks of this magnitude would have already stopped. In this case they have not. In both cases we still live on a planet of molten rock.

Absolutely not true, but you go on believing what you wish.

Now...you go and have a wonderful and exciting day!

Fib