• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,025 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:55 PM

Actually, here's the article summarizing the paper along with some commentary.

http://wattsupwithth...stations-paper/

Pilke is a luke warmer. As I would be if I had not been so thoroughly disgusted by the shenanigans and sloppiness these folks have engaged in.

M

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#12 Trendy

Trendy

• Traders-Talk User
  • 400 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 01:53 PM

Its about this... people who feel bad about themselves and guilty for whatever reason want to be a part of something big. These people in my opinion and from my experience whom usually reject submission to "the higher power". So, they pick an advocacy theme for self-redemption. Global warming is just one of many such self-redemption themes. Theme adherence then becomes a religion to them with emotional driven devotion. They rationalize that through their works of penance (paying cap and trade taxes) they are redeemed and superior to others over time which gives them the right to forcefully shove the theme down others throats by godvernment coercion. Lenin was one of these people and said: ""I am a bad, wicked man, but I am practicing moral self-purification; I don't eat meat any more, I now eat rice cutlets."

Edited by Trendy, 16 June 2011 - 01:55 PM.

#13 salsabob

salsabob

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:47 PM

Its about this... people who feel bad about themselves and guilty for whatever reason want to be a part of something big. These people in my opinion and from my experience whom usually reject submission to "the higher power". So, they pick an advocacy theme for self-redemption. Global warming is just one of many such self-redemption themes. Theme adherence then becomes a religion to them with emotional driven devotion. They rationalize that through their works of penance (paying cap and trade taxes) they are redeemed and superior to others over time which gives them the right to forcefully shove the theme down others throats by godvernment coercion.

Lenin was one of these people and said: ""I am a bad, wicked man, but I am practicing moral self-purification; I don't eat meat any more, I now eat rice cutlets."

Perhaps, but it also could simply be one credential scientist confirming the earlier results of a set of other credential scientists.

It simply could be -

Q: So is the United States getting warmer?

A: Yes ...

and maybe a little of this -

...consistent with previously documented changes associated with the widespread conversion to electronic sensors in the USHCN ...

You know that whole Occam's Razor thing?

But of course, where would the fun be in that compared to playing scientists and now psychologists? :rolleyes:
John Galt shrugged, outsourced to Red China and opened a hedge fund for unregulated securitized credit derivatives.

If the world didn't suck, wouldn't we all just fly off?

#14 MaryAM

MaryAM

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:59 AM

Earth may be headed into a mini Ice Age within a decade
'Physicists say sunspot cycle is 'going into hibernation'

http://www.theregist.../06/14/ice_age/

#15 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:42 PM

Oh, it's politics, alright...and the perversion of what's left of the mainstream media.

Big Media follows a left wing narrative by ignoring stories they don’t want their readers to become aware of & demonizing their opponents.
Is this the "Alinsky" method?

If you don’t notice it, its because you are on their side.

Edited by stocks, 17 June 2011 - 12:46 PM.

-- -
Defenders of the status quo are always stronger than reformers seeking change, 
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#16 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:49 PM

Come on Mary.
The Sun has nothing to do with the earth's temperature.

;)

Earth may be headed into a mini Ice Age within a decade
'Physicists say sunspot cycle is 'going into hibernation'

http://www.theregist.../06/14/ice_age/

#17 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:08 PM

More Data Fudging Discovered.
At least there is no political agenda:

REPORT: Climate change 'researchers' caught padding sea level data...

Changing Tides: Research Center Under Fire for 'Adjusted' Sea-Level Data

Is climate change raising sea levels, as Al Gore has argued -- or are climate scientists doctoring the data?

The University of Colorado’s Sea Level Research Group decided in May to add 0.3 millimeters -- or about the thickness of a fingernail -- every year to its actual measurements of sea levels, sparking criticism from experts who called it an attempt to exaggerate the effects of global warming.

"Gatekeepers of our sea level data are manufacturing a fictitious sea level rise that is not occurring," said James M. Taylor, a lawyer who focuses on environmental issues for the Heartland Institute.

Steve Nerem, the director of the widely relied-upon research center, said that his group added the 0.3 millimeters per year to the actual sea level measurements because land masses, still rebounding from the ice age, are rising and increasing the amount of water that oceans can hold.

"We have to account for the fact that the ocean basins are actually getting slightly bigger... water volume is expanding," he said, a phenomenon they call glacial isostatic adjustment (GIA).

Taylor calls it tomfoolery.
"There really is no reason to do this other than to advance a political agenda," he said.

"For the layperson, this correction is a non-issue and certainly not newsworthy… [The] effect is tiny -- only 1 inch over 100 years, whereas we expect sea level to rise 2-4 feet."

But Taylor said that the correction seemed bigger when compared with actual sea level increases.

"We’ve seen only 7 inches of sea level rise in the past century and it hasn’t sped up this century. Compared to that, this would add nearly 20 percent to the sea level rise. That's not insignificant," he said.

Nerem said that the research center is considering compromising on the adjustment.
"We are considering putting both data sets on our website -- a GIA-corrected dataset, as well as one without the GIA correction," he said.

Christy said that would be a welcome change.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 17 June 2011 - 10:18 PM.

#18 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:22 PM

Oh, it's politics, alright...and the perversion of what's left of the mainstream media.

Big Media follows a left wing narrative by ignoring stories they don’t want their readers to become aware of & demonizing their opponents.
Is this the "Alinsky" method?

If you don’t notice it, its because you are on their side.

What's the Narrative?

As Pulitzer Prize-winner Stephen Hunter explained in a recent novel:

"The narrative is the set of assumptions the press believes in, possibly without even knowing that it believes in them. It's so powerful because it's unconscious. It's not like they get together every morning and decide 'These are the lies we tell today.' No, that would be too crude and honest. Rather, it's a set of casual, nonrigorous assumptions about a reality they've never really experienced that's arranged in such a way as to reinforce their best and most ideal presumptions about themselves and their importance to the system and the way they have chosen to live their lives."
-- -
UNTIL the status quo self-destructs from its own corruption, and the reformers are free to build on its ashes.

#19 stocks

stocks

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:37 AM

Global Warming Epitaph -- A Rant

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
H. L. Mencken

The Man Made Global Warming industry is a crock, a scam on an epic scale, fed by the world’s biggest outbreak of mass hysteria, stoked by politicians dying for an excuse to impose more tax and regulation on us while being seen to “care” about an issue of pressing urgency, fuelled by the shrill lies and tear-jerking propaganda of activists possessed of no understanding of the real world other than a chippy instinctive hatred of capitalism, given a veneer of scientific respectability by post-normal scientists who believe their job is to behave like politicians rather than dispassionate seekers-after-truth, cheered on by rent-seeking businesses, financed by the EU, the UN and the charitable foundations of the guilt-ridden rich, and promoted at every turn by schoolteachers, college lecturers, organic muesli packets, Walkers crisps, the BBC, CNBC, Al Gore, the Prince Of Wales, David Suzuki, the British Antarctic Survey, ... and Knut – the late, dyslexic-challenging, baby polar bear, formerly of Berlin Zoo.

Rant
-- -

#20 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:06 AM

Just when we were told that pollution causes global warming, now this:
'Asia pollution' blamed for halt in warming...

This was the cry in the 1970's when the claim was that we were headed into an ICE AGE if we didn't raise taxes. :lol:

Smoke belching from Asia's rapidly growing economies is largely responsible for a halt in global warming in the decade after 1998 because of sulphur's cooling effect, even though greenhouse gas emissions soared, a U.S. study said on Monday.
The paper raised the prospect of more rapid, pent-up climate change when emerging economies eventually crack down on pollution.
World temperatures did not rise from 1998 to 2008, while manmade emissions of carbon dioxide from burning fossil fuel grew by nearly a third, various data show.

Several studies show that CO2 levels in the past do not cause warming, but may in fact be caused BY natural warming cycles.

World expert in analysis of stochastic and hydrological processes, professor Demetris Koutsoyiannis, has shown that the models have made no valid predictions during the last 20 years; McKitrick, McIntyre and Herman have shown the model predictions of temperature exceed the observable trends by as much as 300%. Ferenc Miskolczi's 3 papers, in 2004, 2007 and 2010 show that the greenhouse effect has not changed in the last 61 years, therefore proving that the slight heating which has occurred over the 20thC has not been due to greenhouse gases such as CO2.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 05 July 2011 - 09:12 AM.