11 replies to this topic

#11 inamosa

inamosa

Patterns-based Trader and Investor in ETFs and Futures

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:13 AM

By the way, arbman, I want to just mention regarding your statement:

We may have a year to top the bull market too like you said, I have a strong(er) rally from the end of September...

Let's be clear: I didn't say where the SPX is headed. This quote from a recent CNBC interview with William O'Neil's son should clarify:

"We're not in the predicting business, we're in the interpretation business."
-Scott O'Neil (son of William O'Neil), Portfolio Manager at O’Neil Data Systems (someone who says a cyclical bear market seems to have begun, which I disagree with...but that doesn't mean I don't respect him)

I prefer to interpret market actions as they happen and consider what they have led to in the past, rather than try to forecast where precisely the market is headed. It's fine to consider potential future scenarios, but I think it's best to avoid forecasting what's going to happen a year from now when it doesn't seem to help anyone (including the forecaster).

I realize that this is contrary to the premise of a board called "Fearless Forecasters," which makes me think I should not be posting much on this board (if at all).

Edited by alysomji, 02 July 2011 - 03:15 AM.

"Our job is not to predict where the market will go, but to interpret daily price and volume action to ascertain the facts of the current environment and make decisions based on that interpretation."
-Scott O'Neil (son of William O'Neil), Portfolio Manager at O’Neil Data Systems, when asked where the Dow would go in the coming months

#12 Om_Namah_Shivay

Om_Namah_Shivay

• Traders-Talk User
  • 596 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:44 AM

By the way, arbman, I want to just mention regarding your statement:

We may have a year to top the bull market too like you said, I have a strong(er) rally from the end of September...

Let's be clear: I didn't say where the SPX is headed. This quote from a recent CNBC interview with William O'Neil's son should clarify:

"We're not in the predicting business, we're in the interpretation business."
-Scott O'Neil (son of William O'Neil), Portfolio Manager at O’Neil Data Systems (someone who says a cyclical bear market seems to have begun, which I disagree with...but that doesn't mean I don't respect him)

I prefer to interpret market actions as they happen and consider what they have led to in the past, rather than try to forecast where precisely the market is headed. It's fine to consider potential future scenarios, but I think it's best to avoid forecasting what's going to happen a year from now when it doesn't seem to help anyone (including the forecaster).

I realize that this is contrary to the premise of a board called "Fearless Forecasters," which makes me think I should not be posting much on this board (if at all).

Hi ALysomji,

Please don't dare to not post here...because fearless forecaster means precisely what you are doing. you are not forecasting but your interpretation of present based on past helps alot of us forecasters.....i would soon start contributing my own proprietary signals.....let every1 be on their own but lets not stop sharing
Know the DIFFERENCE between WINNING and WINNINGS; One is KARMA and One is EGO!!!

www.bubbleshort.blogspot.in My Blog with focus on markets and "Act" of trading