• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

The leverage for 1000 contracts is about $60M. If you are trading $10-15m, it would be 5-6x leverage. It means, you may get about $1M drawdown on 2% gap move either way and 2% gaps can happen or 10-12% drawdowns per trade. We had days where the market constantly gapped up and down 1% without a trend. This would be devestating for a stops-based trading system, while a system with proper hedging would not show such drawdowns. I tend to set it up and let the trades go until the market resolves in the desired direction.

#22 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:53 PM

The leverage for 1000 contracts is about $60M. If you are trading $10-15m, it would be 5-6x leverage. It means, you may get about $1M drawdown on 2% gap move either way and 2% gaps can happen or 10-12% drawdowns per trade. We had days where the market constantly gapped up and down 1% without a trend. This would be devestating for a stops-based trading system, while a system with proper hedging would not show such drawdowns. I tend to set it up and let the trades go until the market resolves in the desired direction.

It doesn't mean that every gap was a loser ;) But I see your point.

#23 rotrot

rotrot

• Traders-Talk User
  • 556 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:35 AM

looks very similar to the system developed by the Foundation for the Study of Cycles...B)

Z Signal - Foundation for the Study of Cycles

#24 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:00 AM

looks very similar to the system developed by the Foundation for the Study of Cycles...B)

Z Signal - Foundation for the Study of Cycles

Looks like they have more bad entries (lower % profitable ) but they cut losses fast and ride the profits well, ( good profit factor )

But its long only.

What does the equity curve look like ?