Walmart Shrugs

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:17 AM

Why not increase it to $25 and give a real boost!

Then the price of bread, milk etc would go up. :o

Yup, sure would. At the "living wage" level, about 46 cents per shopping trip, approximately $12.49 per year for the average consumer. :lol:

Living Wage Policies and Big-Box Retail

IMPACT ON CONSUMERS

Even if Walmart were to pass 100 percent of the wage increase on to consumers, the average impact
on a Walmart shopper would be quite small: 1.1 percent of prices, well below Walmart's estimated
savings to consumers. This works out to $0.46 per shopping trip, or $12.49 per year, for the average
consumer who spends approximately $1,187 per year at Walmart. This is the most extreme estimate,
as portions of the raise could be absorbed through other mechanisms, including increased produc-
tivity or lower profit margins.

While Walmart shoppers are disproportionately middle- and lower-income, the customers who
spend the most at the store are somewhat less likely to come from poor and low-income families. We
find that 28.1 percent of the total price increase would be borne by consumers in families below 200
percent FPL. In comparison, 41.4 percent of the benefits would go to Walmart workers in families
below 200 percent FPL.

In summary, we find that a Big Box Ordinance or similar legislation that raises wages would provide
significant, concentrated benefits to workers, almost half of them in poor or near-poor families, while
the costs would be dispersed in small amounts among many consumers across the income
spectrum. In net, a wage increase for Walmart workers represents a transfer of income to poor and
low-income families. Low-income Walmart workers would see a raise of $1,670 to $6,500 per year,
while the average Walmart shopper would spend an additional $12.49 per year. Both the benefits to
workers and the costs to consumers would be smaller in higher wage states and metropolitan areas.

Edited by diogenes227, 17 July 2013 - 09:18 AM.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#12 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:17 AM

Why not increase it to $25 and give a real boost!

Excellent idea! It's been tried before and worked great!

Henry Ford's Five-Dollar Day

In 1914, Henry Ford started an industrial revolution by more than doubling wages to $5 a day—a move that helped build the U.S. middle class and the modern economy.

The sad part is unless you read the full article and understand the reason this was possible it becomes the liberals
reasoning of - "pay more so they can buy more and pay more tax" - and not work more or produce something more or better.

NOTHING IS FREE. A law of physics states that nothing new can be created, just old stuff can be changed.

Lets change the total cost of the council to half of the current outflow, and redirect it to the tax payers in D C, then everybody gets a raise who produces something.

This would exclude the council, of course as they don't produce anything. :lol:

Edited by mss, 17 July 2013 - 09:18 AM.

WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#13 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

a stimulus that won't be able to be bled off by usual big-box cut-rate cutthroat.

D.C. Council salaries are second-highest among big U.S. cities
WHO'S THE CUTTHROAT? Excessive wages paid to wasteful, anti freedom government elitists at the expense of taxpayers is not CUTTHROAT?

All the while YOU happily would eliminate the freedom and choice of other people.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 17 July 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#14 AChartist

AChartist

Tim

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

Not exactly related but in line with global communist cabal depopulation agenda. I am aware of this story in Ukraine. Many of these folks have paid flats passed down, and their farming property from soviet era. Old have pensions and most are dirt poor. For reference energy for the flat is $9 a month, internet is $9, food might be $1000 a year per head. Most garden and farm and trade at the bazzare., the young tend not to farm and live off mom and pop, a lazy and alchoholic lot. I have a crib there and will be looking into buying up some farming land from these new age demon youth who squander inherited property. So, the town where this story goes, has two new big box corporate groceries. Security forces then went into the bazarres where they trade for their food and wares and broke them up. City statue then reorganized and legalized the bazzare at high space rental rates so the bazzare is mostly empty now. The people of no income have no where to get food. It is on.

"marxism-lennonism-communism always fails and never worked, because I know

some of them, and they don't work"  M.Jordan

#15 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

"in line with global communist cabal depopulation agenda" Well said!

"Why not increase it to $25 and give a real boost!"
"Excellent idea! It's been tried before and worked great!"

Until you price yourself out of the free market.

Detroit files largest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history
Detroit's bankruptcy follows decades of decay

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome.
Detroit, Cuba and East Berlin are lessons lost on the collectivist worshipers.

Detroit supports the fine arts!
Posted Image

East Berlin bread lines were an excellent way to meet new poor people.
Posted Image

And Cuba has free emergency room visits!
Posted Image

Edited by Rogerdodger, 18 July 2013 - 07:04 PM.

#16 diogenes227

diogenes227

• TT Patron+
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

Does Walmart create jobs?

EVILMART'S BIG LIE

Research shows that destroying jobs is an essential component of the retail giant’s anti-worker business model

First, let’s look at the impact of Walmart on local labor markets. The largest, most rigorous study conducted on the subject is this peer-reviewed article from 2008. Its lead author is economist David Neumark, who is no wild-eyed liberal. (See, for example, this anti-minimum wage op-ed he wrote for the Wall Street Journal).

Earlier studies did not adequately deal with selection bias: i.e., the problem that when and where Walmart chooses to open new stores is not random, but tends to be correlated with other variables. Those confounding variables make it difficult to determine whether local employment outcomes are causally related to Walmart‘s entry, or to something else. I’ll skip the technical details, but suffice it to say Neumark and his co-authors devised a sophisticated methodology that accounts for the selection bias. Using data from over 3,000 counties, their results show that when a Walmart store opens, it kills an average 150 retail jobs at the county level, with each Walmart worker replacing about 1.4 retail workers. These results are robust under a variety of models and tests.

None of these findings should be surprising, least of all to Walmart’s free market cheerleaders. If they understood Walmart’s anti-worker business model, they would grasp that cutting labor costs is the bedrock of its strategy. Unlike other retailers such as Costco and Trader Joe’s, which invest in their workers, Walmart’s policy is to pay wages so miserably low that it forces many of its workers onto public assistance. The other way Walmart reduces labor costs is by doing business in a way that eliminates as many jobs as possible.

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me because I'd like to hear it again," Groucho Marx (on market history?).

“I've learned in options trading simple is best and the obvious is often the most elusive to recognize.”

"The god of trading rewards persistence, experience and discipline, and absolutely nothing else."

#17 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,878 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

Efficiency in markets eliminates the inefficient business model and frees up it's workers to do more productive work, all the while while lowering costs to the consumer. Detroit and it's union requirements violated that law and reaped the consequences. A single backhoe/loader and it's operator reduces the need for a half dozen or more ditch diggers. Should we ban the backhoe?

Edited by Rogerdodger, 05 August 2013 - 03:44 PM.