etfs or individual stocks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 traderx

traderx

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:10 PM

I have been doing great with both. I am thinking of just doing ETFS because less work involved and the strong correlation of all. But individual stocks have given much more zip and profits. I know about risk and reward. Appreciate any comments!

#2 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

I have been doing great with both.
I am thinking of just doing ETFS because less work involved and the strong correlation of all.
But individual stocks have given much more zip and profits.
I know about risk and reward.

Appreciate any comments!

Stick with growth issues/baskets as they continue to lead higher...have been for some time now.

On separate note, it now looks like the 4 month transition of rising equity prices based on excess liquidity is now compete and good old fashion earnings growth will be the driving force for higher prices for the next several months.

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#3 TradeXTC

TradeXTC

• Traders-Talk User
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:48 AM

I am thinking of just doing ETFS because less work involved and the strong correlation of all.

Appreciate any comments!

Stick with growth issues/baskets as they continue to lead higher...have been for some time now.

On separate note, it now looks like the 4 month transition of rising equity prices based on excess liquidity is now compete and good old fashion earnings growth will be the driving force for higher prices for the next several months.

Fib

Are you implying that QE just won't matter anymore... back to individual stock picking... ?
Don't wait for conditions to be perfect to begin. Beginning makes the conditions perfect.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:10 AM

Appreciate any comments!

Fib

Are you implying that QE just won't matter anymore... back to individual stock picking... ?

Not at all...only that we have transitioned from a market environment in which past monetary stimulus has now done enough of a job to where the economy can actually expand (and why longer term rates have been rising) and company earnings will now be the main focus of investors and traders.

It's very important to understand that QE3 is only now lapping at the shores of the equity markets as has been the forecast for many months now...the full force of which will continue to be felt going into the end of the year. But it's also good to remember that the actual overall direct impact of this same QE3 liquidity pool will be no where the levels seen with QE1 and QE2 based on gold's price performance over the last 18 months.

Fib

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

#5 risk_management

risk_management

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

Appreciate any comments!

Fib

Not at all...only that we have transitioned from a market environment in which past monetary stimulus has now done enough of a job to where the economy can actually expand (and why longer term rates have been rising) and company earnings will now be the main focus of investors and traders.

It's very important to understand that QE3 is only now lapping at the shores of the equity markets as has been the forecast for many months now...the full force of which will continue to be felt going into the end of the year. But it's also good to remember that the actual overall direct impact of this same QE3 liquidity pool will be no where the levels seen with QE1 and QE2 based on gold's price performance over the last 18 months.

Fib

What are your thoughts on 10 year yield going forward? TIA

Edited by risk_management, 10 September 2013 - 08:16 AM.

#6 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

What are your thoughts on 10 year yield going forward? TIA

The trend in rates remains higher, but we're getting very close to an exhaustion point...maybe by next week if breadth in the Bond CEF's is any indication.

Downside target will be around 2.625% before the next attempt to rally early next year.

Fib