• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 viccarter

viccarter

TRIN_Rida

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:40 AM

I had a crossover to exit shorts or stalk longs VST on Oct. 9, 2013 on the bar that closed at 1:00 pm CST. We all know what happened Thursday and Friday. I certainly noted it, but didn't change my course and was relieved of my profits the next way. This morning at 10:00 CST, I had the signal to exit longs/stalk shorts VST. These are not entry/exit rules. They are simply "safety is off" and you may fire according to your entry rules VST if triggered. Typically, what I will look for is a slight bounce, which we just got, to make the short term entry. The expectation now is to have price targets at least somewhat lower than what they were at 10:00 this morning. Of course this has to be managed via exit rules. This system, will typically keep you out of trouble even when you are clueless about real direction. To be honest, I was angered by some of the comments here from last Thursday. I didn't think certain things were very genuine, but not to rehash, it's in the past. I do want to congratulate Fib and Chief for really being in front of the big long trade, that is not what I am talking about. Remember that big swoons down are always low probability. When you have VIX spikes that close the daily bar up beyond +3 or so sigma, you have an 80% so chance of a reversal snapback. There are times when you have to hold these low probability events if you want the monster trade, and what I can say is that anyone that makes a habit of buying those chart patterns from last Wed, will get a big surprise one of those times. Conversely, you cannot hold short on 20+ up days. Yes, I had all of my short profits taken from me last Thursday, and I knew immediately that it wouldn't stop until there were no more shorts, but know that I had plenty of profits to take, and I didn't flinch on this because I knew it would just get worse before better. And here I am short again. BTW, those Wed, Thurs, Friday, days were to the SKY with distribution, not that it matters :) I don't have any expectations here one way or the other; we closed that bar at 9:45 this morning at cash RUT 1085.7 or so just looking for something lower or any clues to get a stronger hand.

#2 q4wer

q4wer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

I don't see much downside today or tomorrow because people have hope that white house will announce a deal. simply cannot short for this announcement that could happen any minute.