Watch VIX

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 redfoliage2

redfoliage2

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,943 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:56 PM

Today the stock market was up over 10% but VIX still closed the in positive.........

Edited by redfoliage2, 24 March 2020 - 07:56 PM.

#2 Iblayz

Iblayz

• TT Patron+
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:13 PM

What? Not a single thread about "The Bottom is in!" Not one declaring it has to be.....because of the incredible AD numbers or the incredible up volume or what seemed like it had to be yet another breadth thrust event that signifies the inevitable. I figured for sure that the bulls would be peeing in their pants by now and announcing the death of all things bearish. No? So what, the VIX is still over 60 and yes it closed HIGHER than yesterday. But a high VIX can mean volatility both ways, can't it? Something is ROTTEN, and it ain't in Denmark.

#3 Dex

Dex

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:30 PM

What? Not a single thread about "The Bottom is in!" 

I did last week.

"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. "
17_16

#4 tommyt

tommyt

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 09:22 PM

Breadth thrusts are generated after the bottoming process is complete, not during the bottoming process.

#5 gm_general

gm_general

• TT Member+
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 10:49 PM

BTW did you see the VIX low of 36.24? I thought that was strange as the Yahoo day chart only graphed down to 50. When was it 36?

#6 nimblebear

nimblebear

Welcome to the Dark Side !

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,062 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 10:59 PM

This is comical to watch. Not one soul has a clue that we are in a severe bear market, and everyone is going to watch these bounces, and the next cascade down, all the way to Dow 2000. Everybody is watching every possible indicator, and are missing the forest for the trees. People even believe that the stimulus package, or Fed's infinite "QE" is the only thing that is needed to do a simple stick save of the markets. The stock market rallied today with greatest percentage since the great depression.  It matched the percentage right smack dab in the middle of the great depression.  Nobody is able to even recognize we are already in the teeth of a great depression, with even our POTUS talking about new 'highs' while he 'high fived' Powell this week, and even made mention of the 'great job' Powell was doing.  The cluelessness is what is setting records these days. 

OTIS.

#7 redfoliage2

redfoliage2

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,943 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:39 PM

BTW did you see the VIX low of 36.24? I thought that was strange as the Yahoo day chart only graphed down to 50. When was it 36?

On Stockcharts.com chart it touched 36.24 at the open and then reversed up in no time, forming a very long lower shadow and closed at the high.  I see tomorrow is likely a down day .......................................

Edited by redfoliage2, 24 March 2020 - 11:43 PM.

#8 K Wave

K Wave

• Traders-Talk User
  • 25,937 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:58 PM

Breadth thrusts are generated after the bottoming process is complete, not during the bottoming process.

This was the first one, probably sellable tomorrow sometime

If we get a retest of the low area, and then get a 2nd 90/10, then time to ride the bull for a while....

The strength of Government lies in the people's ignorance, and the Government knows this, and will therefore always oppose true enlightenment. - Leo Tolstoy

#9 LMF

LMF

• Traders-Talk User
  • 801 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:59 PM

On Stockcharts.com chart it touched 36.24 at the open and then reversed up in no time, forming a very long lower shadow and closed at the high.  I see tomorrow is likely a down day .......................................

On the think swim platform......it looked like a data spike in the pre-market around 5am pacific time. From about 55 down to the 36 level. The VIX is one of the crazy things where it reflects the premarket data on a daily chart somehow, both StockCharts and the TOS platform.

Edited by LMF, 25 March 2020 - 12:03 AM.

#10 K Wave

K Wave

• Traders-Talk User
  • 25,937 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:03 AM

On the think swim platform......it looked like a data spike in the pre-market around 5am pacific time. From about 55 down to the 36 level.

Didn't happen....low was a hair above 52

The strength of Government lies in the people's ignorance, and the Government knows this, and will therefore always oppose true enlightenment. - Leo Tolstoy