2015 a report from state tv about a virus created in laboratory

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 K Wave

K Wave

• Traders-Talk User
  • 25,937 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:25 PM

I don't have a dog in the fight either way....just saying it looks like it can be done.

The strength of Government lies in the people's ignorance, and the Government knows this, and will therefore always oppose true enlightenment. - Leo Tolstoy

#12 andr99

andr99

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,389 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:58 AM

in 2015 they created a lethal virus in laboratory and they informed the world, who can exclude they have repeated the experiment this time with a bat and another animal that westerners haven' t been able to identify so far ? What are the probabilities that in nature a bat gets in contact with a rat and a new virus emerges from these two species ? Just in laboratory probably. What if that thing has been repeated ? The thing that is worrysome is the location where the epidemic has arised : Wuhan.......the chinese center for bacteriologic researches. 

Edited by andr99, 26 March 2020 - 04:00 AM.

forever and only a V-E-N-E-T-K-E-N - langbard

#13 jacek

jacek

• Traders-Talk User
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:23 AM

"What are the probabilities that in nature a bat gets in contact with a rat and a new virus emerges from these two species ? Just in laboratory probably. What if that thing has been repeated"

Precisely.

May I ask, as a biologist, what is the rational fact-based basis for your above judgement?

I'm amused how the power of natural Darwinian selection working through thousands of years by trial and error  (where errors are never seen), through back and forth zoonotic transmissions is not appreciated by some in this forum. Human inventiveness and ingenuity are far from beating the powers of nature in this particular department. Do you really think that HIV, Ebola, SARS and bunch of others are also human inventions. Such conspiracy theories really make me chuckle. But everybody is entitled to having own fact-based, or not, opinion. That I do respect.

Edited by jacek, 26 March 2020 - 06:31 AM.

#14 cycletimer

cycletimer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:18 AM

My co-worker whose from South Korea with family still over there told me that it was a lab bat, escaped from laboratory in question, eaten by a snake, the snake caught by professional snake hunters (whose vocation is catching snakes in the wild and selling to the Wuhan market) and sold to the market, which was purchased and consumed by a human.  This all seems very far-fetched I know.  But it’ll all seem more believable if you’ll simply rewatch the film, “Contagion” which chronicles a similar chain of events, p,us it’s pure entertainment.  One hell of a great flick!

#15 andr99

andr99

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,389 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:20 AM

"What are the probabilities that in nature a bat gets in contact with a rat and a new virus emerges from these two species ? Just in laboratory probably. What if that thing has been repeated"

Precisely.

May I ask, as a biologist, what is the rational fact-based basis for your above judgement?

I'm amused how the power of natural Darwinian selection working through thousands of years by trial and error  (where errors are never seen), through back and forth zoonotic transmissions is not appreciated by some in this forum. Human inventiveness and ingenuity are far from beating the powers of nature in this particular department. Do you really think that HIV, Ebola, SARS and bunch of others are also human inventions. Such conspiracy theories really make me chuckle. But everybody is entitled to having own fact-based, or not, opinion. That I do respect.

as a biologist are you aware that man can create in laboratory what nature would take centuries to create ?  The base which I talk from is years spent to study equations, phisics, idraulics, etc.etc. Depending on me  I would insert a few tests of mathematics and phisics also for those studying medicine.......it would make a harder darwinian selection based on smartness than it currently is without the implementation of such tests at least in italy where more or less everybody can get a degree in medicine. That said I've come to know Darwin's work when I was little more than a kid. By the way I think I know enough about two other viruses you mentioned that I don' t need any lessons. Nobody in the world can exclude that this mess may have get out of a laboratory by error. Then you can believe what you want, both that it is natural born or whatever you want....but please reserve your ingenuity judgment  to others, not to  myself.  

Edited by andr99, 26 March 2020 - 07:24 AM.

#16 jacek

jacek

• Traders-Talk User
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:31 AM

I didn't mean to offend anybody. I apologize if I did. The fact is though that the nature has always been first regarding genetic experiments. Even GMO is a late application of horizontal gene transfer that nature has been practicing through millenia. And as I stated above I do respect all opinions both fact based and not. Though I tend to agree rather with those with those based on facts rather than those based on beliefs. And yes, anything, however unlikely, can happen. Again, sorry, wasn't meant to be personal. Best.  

#17 andr99

andr99

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,389 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:05 AM

jacek......no problem......no need to apologize. Best to you as well.