13 replies to this topic

#1 K Wave

K Wave

• Traders-Talk User
  • 26,861 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 09:29 AM

https://www.medrxiv....v1.article-info

From the PDF

The main finding of this study is that after adjusting for the timing of zinc therapy, we found that the addition of zinc sulfate to hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin was found to associate with a decrease in mortality or transition to hospice among patients who did not require ICU level of care, but this association was not significant in patients who were treated in the ICU.

Zinc may have a role in preventing the virus from progressing to severe disease, but once the aberrant production of systemic immune mediators is initiated, known as the cytokine storm, the addition of zinc may no longer be effective. Our findings suggest a potential therapeutic synergistic mechanism of zinc sulfate with hydroxychloroquine, if used early on in presentation with COVID-19. However, our findings do not suggest a prophylactic benefit of zinc sulfate in the absence of a zinc ionophore, despite interest in this therapy for prevention. A prophylactic strategy of zinc sulfate should be evaluated to help answer this question.

From the tables in the PDF

H+A+Z reduced need to be admitted to ICU by 41% vs H+A only

H+A+Z reduced need for ventilator by 51% vs H+A only

These were people already admitted to hospital.

As Dr Zelenko has stated to many times to count, the earlier this protocol is started, the more beneficial effect it has.

The entire idea of the protocol is to keep you OUT of the hospital in the first place.

As viral buildup continues, as was also noted above, even the addition of Zinc no longer worked once admitted to ICU.

Edited by K Wave, 09 May 2020 - 09:30 AM.

The strength of Government lies in the people's ignorance, and the Government knows this, and will therefore always oppose true enlightenment. - Leo Tolstoy

#2 dwnowhere1

dwnowhere1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 10:10 AM

The world is working overtime to try and come up with:

1)  Valid quick tests

-- still appears to be long way off because of false positives and negatives.

2)  Drug that will mitigate symptoms

-- lot of possibilities, no viable solutions.

3)  Vaccine for a long term solution.

Heard a  virology "expert" yesterday on Amanpour & Co. 

Gave a wake up call that the fastest development ever for a vaccine was 4 years and very few -- because of the side effects -- make it to market.

Even worse is the curve to get enough supply manufactured and distributed to treat most everyone (world around 7.5 billion people).

===============

Back to:  Is the glass half full or half empty?

My Take:

A viable solution will be a long time coming.

However this has no relationship to the market.

As I see it the boys with the money who initially got caught naked are pushing the market back up to try and recover some of those losses.

How hard and far they can push it is ???

Edited by dwnowhere1, 09 May 2020 - 10:19 AM.

#3 K Wave

K Wave

• Traders-Talk User
  • 26,861 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 11:31 AM

The BEST thing you can do is get outside and get some sunlight...Vitamin D can likely prevent you from ever needing a "cure" of any kind.

Now that winter is gone, sitting inside worrying is probably the WORST thing you can do to yourself.

https://drmalcolmken...s-on-vitamin-d/

"Perhaps more importantly, if you do get infected with influenza, vitamin D (especially D3) has a potent effect on protecting endothelial cells. And damage to endothelial cells appears to be a key mechanism by which COVID creates the most severe, and potentially fatal, symptoms. Here is a section from the paper ‘Dietary Vitamin D and Its Metabolites Non-Genomically Stabilize the Endothelium.

‘Vitamin D is a known modulator of inflammation. Native dietary vitamin D3 is thought to be bio-inactive, and beneficial vitamin D3 effects are thought to be largely mediated by the metabolite 1,25(OH)2D3…

Our data suggests the presence of an alternative signaling modality by which D3 acts directly on endothelial cells to prevent vascular leak. The finding that D3 and its metabolites modulate endothelial stability may help explain the clinical correlations between low serum vitamin D levels and the many human diseases with well-described vascular dysfunction phenotypes.’ 2

In short, it seems Vitamin D stops you from getting infected with viruses and, even if you do get infected, it helps to mitigate the worst effects."

And someone actually bothering to check Vitamin D levels vs Covid. Pretty stunning numbers in these 212 patients.

If Serum D was above 30, almost no severe disease...Below that and things head south in a hurry

https://papers.ssrn....ract_id=3571484

vitd3.png

The strength of Government lies in the people's ignorance, and the Government knows this, and will therefore always oppose true enlightenment. - Leo Tolstoy

#4 K Wave

K Wave

• Traders-Talk User
  • 26,861 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 12:06 PM

And another one making the point I have been making about warmer countries and mortality and possible sunshine linkage.

https://onlinelibrar....1111/apt.15777

It can be seen that mortality is relatively low at latitudes less than 35 degrees North, the point below which adequate sunlight is likely to have been received to maintain vitamin D levels during the winter. Correlation between mortality and latitude r = 0.53, P < 0.0001 by Spearman's rank correlation

When mortality per million is plotted against latitude, it can be seen that all countries that lie below 35 degrees North have relatively low mortality. Thirty‐five degrees North also happens to be the latitude above which people do not receive sufficient sunlight to retain adequate vitamin D levels during winter. This suggests a possible role for vitamin D in determining outcomes from COVID‐19. There are outliers of course—mortality is relatively low in Nordic countries—but there vitamin D deficiency is relatively uncommon, probably due to widespread use of supplements. Italy and Spain, perhaps surprisingly, have relatively high prevalences of vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D deficiency has also been shown to correlate with hypertension, diabetes, obesity and ethnicity—all features associated with increased risk of severe COVID‐19.

Research is urgently needed to assess whether there may be a correlation between vitamin D status and severity of COVID‐19 disease. Meanwhile, the evidence supporting a protective effect of vitamin D against severe COVID‐19 disease is very suggestive, a substantial proportion of the population in the Northern Hemisphere will currently be vitamin D deficient, and supplements, for example, 1000 international units (25 micrograms) per day are very safe. It is time for governments to strengthen recommendations for vitamin D intake and supplementation, particularly when under lock‐down.

In any event, If I were a seriously at risk person for these types of diseases, I would get the heck outta Dodge for a warmer climate if I lived in a northern latitude, or supplement heavily...

Edited by K Wave, 09 May 2020 - 12:12 PM.

#5 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 12:32 PM

"The BEST thing you can do is get outside and get some sunlight...Vitamin D can likely prevent you from ever needing a "cure" of any kind."

Great suggestion, K Wave!

Testing is only good until you  are exposed to the next positive person, so any time you visit the grocery store or pick up items at delivery window, you can be infected again. So testing is not a panacea for covid-19.

​Instead work on PREVENTION by getting exercise, sunshine, vitamin-D, oxygenate the lungs, eat nutritious food, don't smoke, avoid alcohol, and you  will be OK. 

I have been fast walking outside for 1.5 miles every morning, and I feel good all day after that, with all the excess oxygen intake in lungs, workout for the heart, and the beautiful Florida sunshine. No symptoms in this 80 year body so far, knock on wood.

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#6 K Wave

K Wave

• Traders-Talk User
  • 26,861 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 12:45 PM

"The BEST thing you can do is get outside and get some sunlight...Vitamin D can likely prevent you from ever needing a "cure" of any kind."

Testing is only good until you  are exposed to the next positive person, so any time you visit the grocery store or pick up items at delivery window, you can be infected again. So testing is not a panacea for covid-19.

​Instead work on PREVENTION by getting exercise, sunshine, vitamin-D, oxygenate the lungs, eat nutritious food, don't smoke, avoid alcohol, and you  will be OK. 

I have been fast walking outside for 1.5 miles every morning, and I feel good all day after that, with all the excess oxygen intake in lungs, workout for the heart, and the beautiful Florida sunshine. No symptoms in this 80 year body so far, knock on wood.

slide-1_1296x.png

#7 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,021 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 12:55 PM

You lost me at avoiding alcohol!

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#8 Douglas

Douglas

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 01:18 PM

OEXCHAOS, I agree.  I spent half my life drinking, carousing and chasing wayward women.  The other half I completely wasted.

Regards,

Douglas

#9 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 02:38 PM

You lost me at avoiding alcohol!

LOL Avoid is NOT the same as ABSTAIN!! There is a subtle difference there lighten.gif

Moderate drinking is fine so long as you are exercising (paramount importance for people over 60) and eating nutritious food. 

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#10 dwnowhere1

dwnowhere1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 175 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 06:17 PM

Douglas:

I spent half my life drinking, carousing and chasing wayward women.  The other half I completely wasted.

If I recall correctly that's an old WC Fields joke but always good LOL.

KWave:

Re: Sunshine

I'm in  Southern Arizona -- 100 to 106 this week and plenty of sunshine.   Wish it were true.  Have a number of cases in AZ.

Lowest in the States I believe is Wyoming (burr!).

IMHO more to do with contact between people and those having consideration toward others.

Edited by dwnowhere1, 09 May 2020 - 06:20 PM.