Photo

THE PRIMARY WAVE THREE thread and finding the Intermediate wave TWO corrective low

• Please log in to reply
2512 replies to this topic

#2371 jabat

jabat

• Traders-Talk User
  • 606 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 08:56 AM

By Avi

GDX and GDXJ are at their respective resistances.  If we break out directly, then I will stop out of the remaining hedges that I still have.  And, I will not hedge unless we break out and fail by dropping back below the box.  I still much prefer a pullback in the complex, but will not fight price.  But, I also do not have a set up within which I have enough confidence to trade the upside with aggressive positions (options or 3X ETF's).   But, this is simply part of my own rules based upon my experience.  Others may clearly differ, and that is ok.  As long as you understand the parameters - - breaking out of the box sets support at the bottom of the box.

#2372 senorBS

senorBS

• TT Member+
  • 10,962 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 11:24 AM

IMO AEM headed to 200-day MA near 61, also really like the upside here as AEM/Gold ratio looks like it is now just starting to move higher from a rather deeply oversold key bigger picture low area (double bottom). This ratio looks like it is beginning an intermediate term rally leg, this for me is "technical backup" for my and others thoughts on the powerhouse AEM/KL will become IMO assuming the merger goes thru. In general miner action today's action looks like a high level consolidation within a large wave 3 advance, I don't expect much downside, as always DYODD

Senor

#2373 senorBS

senorBS

• TT Member+
  • 10,962 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 01:44 PM

IMO AEM headed to 200-day MA near 61, also really like the upside here as AEM/Gold ratio looks like it is now just starting to move higher from a rather deeply oversold key bigger picture low area (double bottom). This ratio looks like it is beginning an intermediate term rally leg, this for me is "technical backup" for my and others thoughts on the powerhouse AEM/KL will become IMO assuming the merger goes thru. In general miner action today's action looks like a high level consolidation within a large wave 3 advance, I don't expect much downside, as always DYODD

Senor

should have been "headed to 50-day MA near 61"m looks like a solid close to a great week for gold/silver/miners, hope everyone's participating! yes.gif

Senor

#2374 jabat

jabat

• Traders-Talk User
  • 606 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 09:24 AM

Welcoming The Bull Back To The Metals

By Avi

If you have been reading carefully over the last several weeks, I have had questions as to whether the bull market was going to resume in the metals complex.  The structures we were seeing across quite a number of charts did not provide us with initial 5-wave rallies, whereas others were not terribly clear in their initial 5 wave structures off the lows.  In fact, most charts I was tracking had at least one issue.

The action this past week has resolved many of those issues.  First, the GDXJ not only completed the clearest 5 wave rally off the recent lows, which I have been outlining over the last few weeks, but it also invalidated a setup for a lower low in a bigger 4th wave when it broke over the top of its prior 5-wave high.  As soon as I saw this, I sent an alert our to our membership to explain that this was a major signal in the market to me, and it began to turn the probabilities towards the resumption of the bull market sooner rather than later.

Thereafter, both silver and gold both completed a potential 5th wave high off the recent lows, which further solidified the potential that the metals complex was moving back into its next bull trend.  And, it was at this point that I began to more confidently view the metals complex as entering our next bull market phase where one can more confidently buy pullbacks.  

Now, I want to explain that there is a big difference – at least to me – between riding long positions in a bull trend and having a set up to place an aggressive trade.  Since we began buying individual mining stocks back in the last quarter of 2015, when everyone else thought we were crazy for doing so, I have been trading around my core position and attempting to hedge my long positions when I saw potential for pullbacks to begin.   So, at this time, I am looking to sell the remaining hedges I hold on the next pullback or on a break out of resistance I have been noting on GDXJ and GDX.  

But, in order for me to take an aggressive long position using leverage (options or 3X ETF’s), I must have a tight set up for risk management purposes.  For if an aggressive long position turns on your when your risk parameters are too great, it can cause a lot of un-needed pain to your portfolio simply because you were being too greedy.  Therefore, I always look for a series of 1’s and 2’s to suggest that the heart of a 3rd wave is about to take hold before I am willing to take an aggressive posture.  Moreover, when you have a 1-2, i-ii structure in place, it provides you with a tighter risk management posture so that you minimize any losses if the 3rd wave does not trigger.

And, due to the ugly structures we have been seeing in many of the charts we track, and while there is potential for a sizeable rally in the metals complex to be seen as we look towards 2022, I have learned from experience that I am must follow my rules in order to avoid the pain of a failure of pattern.  So, I am going to be waiting for the standard 1-2 structure to take shape I want to see in the various charts I track before I begin buying aggressive long positions.

Starting with silver, although it counts best as a leading diagonal, we now have 5 waves off the recent lows.   Moreover, we are also striking the ideal target for a 5th wave in a leading diagonal.  This leads me to begin looking for a wave [2] pullback as long as we do not break back over 25.87.  And, as you look at the bigger picture on the SLV weekly chart, I believe this should begin our rally to at least the 34 region in SLV as we look towards 2022.

GC has also completed 5 waves up, and I am “reasonably” looking for a wave [ii] pullback in the coming days.  But, when I step back on the daily GLD chart, it suggests that GLD may actually be several wave degrees ahead of silver at this point in time.  So, I have taken the liberty of adding a 60-minute GLD chart this week so you can see the micro-picture a bit better in GLD, and why it may be ahead of the other charts.  

In fact, once we break out over the pivot, that pivot will then become our main support, with an ultimate target of at least the 217.50 region.  Normally, 5th waves target the 2.00 extension of the first two waves.  However, in metals and most commodities, we usually look for at least the 2.618 extension, and oftentimes even higher.  For now, I will use the 2.618 extension as my minimum target for this next run in the gold market.

While some of you may ask why I have not presented this picture to you before, my answer is simply that when you have retracements in excess of .764 twice in a row (waves [ii] and 2), it is an extremely rare occurrence that it will retain a bullish structure.   For this reason, I have discounted this potential as a high probability wave count until now.

As far as GDX and GDXJ are concerned, I still like the high we just struck as a b-wave within a 2nd wave in GDXJ, and a potential wave i in GDX, but it can also be a higher b-wave.  The structure is certainly not a clear 5 wave rally.  But, both suggest we “should” see an imminent start to a pullback.

Of course, if they break out directly from their respective resistances, then I would have view us as begin in the heart of a 3rd wave, with the bottom of their respective pivot boxes becoming near term support of importance.

In summary, the best path from a structure standpoint is to see the market “rest” after this run up, and provide us with more of a pullback before we continue higher.  Ultimately, I think we have now moved to a point where pullbacks in the metals complex can be buying opportunities at this time, at least for the coming several months.   But, unless I see an appropriate set up, I will simply ride my long positions without any additional leveraged positions.   Should the market provide us with the pullback I want to see right here, then I will provide an outline as to how one can move into aggressive long positions within a tight framework for risk management purposes.

#2375 gannman

gannman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 09:55 AM

good stuff what he says is reasonable i am convinced we are in bull mode fwiw

feeling mellow with the yellow metal

#2376 senorBS

senorBS

• TT Member+
  • 10,962 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 11:41 AM

I wanted to comment on AEM/KL, I own almost no AEM and am significantly long KL (largest position). The reason is just in case there is another bid for KL I want to own KL and not AEM "at this time". Since they will become the same entity IF the merger goes thru, and I want to own them if they merge, this to me makes the most sense. Miners look to be undergoing a high leel consolidation, I don't see any significant downside at this time, as always DYODD

Senor

#2377 Chilidawgz

Chilidawgz

A fool and his money... (the second mousie gets the cheese)

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 07:36 PM

I trade this in a tax sheltered account so there are no taxes...yet.

gdxtwo.jpg

Edited by Chilidawgz, 15 November 2021 - 07:38 PM.

Anything can happen...what's happening now?
No one can forecast the future. No one.

All stocks (ETF's) are BAD...unless they go up - William O'Neil
When The Time Comes To Buy or Sell, You Won't Want To - Walter Deemer

#2378 gannman

gannman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 07:52 PM

if you look at the gold sector you can see all these head and shoulder bottoms

they are kind of offset but they are there . bottom line this sector is going a lot higher

feeling mellow with the yellow metal

#2379 tradesurfer

tradesurfer

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 08:21 PM

Yikes  I dont like the look of this at all.   Not saying that a 5.5 month bearish gartley means we must go down from here... but it is at least a potential concern.

https://www.tradingv...com/x/HVTLEX6G/

that being said, when these patterns are rejected it can lead to violent upside price action

Edited by tradesurfer, 15 November 2021 - 08:22 PM.

#2380 senorBS

senorBS

• TT Member+
  • 10,962 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 08:55 PM

seems to me very few really embracing this miner rally and its potential - that makes Senor smile. Nothing is ever certain, we make our best guesses, I like the long side a lot but always scanning the charts for what I consider negative action, don't see any yet. For now I see a potential wave 3 basis daily and weekly charts unfolding, holding about 50% long. as always DYODD

Senor