#2411 jabat

jabat

• Traders-Talk User
  • 606 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 10:24 AM

From yesterday afternoon:

Cause For Concern and Caution In The Metals Complex

By Avi

For the last few months, we have been tracking a potential bullish set up in the metals complex.   But, I have been warning that the set up has been looking less than ideal.  To see two 2nd wave pullbacks drop as deeply as seen in GDX is not normally indicative of a very bullish structure.  So, while I have been tracking it, I had maintained a certain amount of skepticism.

And, this week, with the market having the opportunity to prove that it will begin a heart of a 3rd wave to the upside, we broke back below our pivot on Friday, which makes the potential for a standard impulsive rally much less likely.  

While I do not have anything to be bearish about YET, the market may still resurrect and continue higher in some form of diagonal rally structure.  But, the problem with diagonals is that they are less predictable than standard Fibonacci Pinball structures.  Therefore, they are not as easy to trade.

As of yet, I have not reason to be bearish.  However, if I see a 5-wave decline completed in GDX, then I will likely be buying hedges on the corrective bounce thereafter as it would signal a change of trend, and another leg lower to be seen in the chart.  But, for now, I have not been given any reason to be bearish yet, even though the ideal bullish structure has likely been broken.

What is interesting is that although GDX broke back below its pivot, both silver and gold retained solid consolidations that can keep pressure to the upside.  But, I must remind you that silver began this rally with less than an ideal structure as well, as its initial move off the December low counts best as a 3-wave structure.  So, I am viewing silver with a bit of healthy skepticism as well.

For now, I am still going to track the impulsive potential structure in silver.  Moreover, I have moved our pivot up, as we should not be seeing below that pivot box if the market has an intention of completing the next 5-wave rally structure, as outlined on my 144-minute chart.  Any break down at this time would be a very strong warning to the bulls, and will have me looking for a short set up.

The GLD chart is a bit of a hybrid of the GDX and silver.  And, while I do not see a 5-wave decline having completed, we have yet to take out the micro pivot.  

Overall, I am disappointed in the action in GDX this past week.  It had a wonderful opportunity to provide us with a massive upside set up, but has since broken below the pivot and only left us with diagonal potential which is much harder to trade from a smaller degree perspective.  While silver is still looking good in this current rally, its initial move off the lows really counts best as a 3-wave structure.  And, GLD seems to be lagging a bit.  This leads me to thoughts of concern about the sustainability of this rally.  So, I am going to be much more cautious in the coming weeks.  But, I want to reiterate again that, for now, I have not been given a reason to be outright bearish yet.

#2412 linrom1

linrom1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,042 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 10:33 AM

Some hope for silver left as it bounced off 61.8% retracement.

#2413 gannman

gannman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 10:43 AM

xle bounced off its 30 day exponential ma i think it has a failed rally here

then another sell off to test that 30 dema and then i would expect a massive

wave up fwiw

feeling mellow with the yellow metal

#2414 gannman

gannman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 10:47 AM

and slv and gld both did 5 waves up here i think and are correcting in the general 

market sell off. but imo they are holding up just fine so far 

#2415 Smithy

Smithy

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 10:55 AM

Avi needs an editor to cut out 90% of the words.

#2416 Smithy

Smithy

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 10:58 AM

If the S&P500 low of this morning at 4273 doesn't hold then both it and silver will make another modest leg down.

#2417 linrom1

linrom1

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,042 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 12:01 PM

If the S&P500 low of this morning at 4273 doesn't hold then both it and silver will make another modest leg down.

Just going sideways, but, not going down more.

#2418 dharma

dharma

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,625 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 12:34 PM

441.92 is the 200dma on spy

was looking for a bounce but the fed meets wednesday so maybe then. i have built a position in vxx and waiting for the bounce to add . 

silver is more industrial then gold so it is getting clobbered.  @some point powell will ride in on a white horse and reverse directions as he did in 2018 , setting a precedent. 

i think the market has more pain before then. margin debt was at its highest in history. there is alot of cleansing to take place.

my play is the other side of the decline. when powell starts to flood the market w/liquidity gold will have a run.  the question for me is does it make a new high. the big long term cycles are well into their down phase , which if the market does make a new high would be quite bullish or does it make something like a double top????

for now the play is in the broad market . and when oil gets hit hard enough it will be a buy .   the war cycles start to heat up later in the year.   2022 is going to be a traders dream 

dharma

#2419 gannman

gannman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,948 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 02:11 PM

on gld very interesting it bottomed on 1 7 22 at 10 50 am and proced to do 55 dollars to the top

on 1 20 now doing an abc correction imo when done should have a dynamic move but that 5 waves 

off the bottom is there gld and slv as far as i am concerned are in an impulse wave up fwiw 

#2420 K Wave

K Wave

• Traders-Talk User
  • 27,419 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 10:15 AM

After the break at 4.52, next HUGE level on Copper 4.40...

After all this work, you likely do not want be long back below 4.40....

cop.png

The strength of Government lies in the people's ignorance, and the Government knows this, and will therefore always oppose true enlightenment. - Leo Tolstoy