Execution risk?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 slupert

slupert

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 11:45 AM

AMD tonight great company, report should be good, would not buy in front of earnings though.  The semiconductors. as we all know, have undergone supply chain disruption. China keeps all the chips and screw everybody else. Do you really belive the semis are the only company's with sizable execution risk? Get real! Tonights AMD earnings might put that fear of execution risk in to the broader market.Its not priced in, that's for sure.

Also, I listened to Mohammed El Erian, on CNBC this morning. He is such a brilliant man you have to pay attention to what he says. He thinks it will be better if the FED hints at tapering tomorrow and have the market take a measured hit now, instead of breaking the news later on and upset the apple cart. I have to agree with him. (JMHO)

#2 jesteronyer6

jesteronyer6

• Traders-Talk User
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 03:05 PM

AMD tonight great company, report should be good, would not buy in front of earnings though.  The semiconductors. as we all know, have undergone supply chain disruption. China keeps all the chips and screw everybody else. Do you really belive the semis are the only company's with sizable execution risk? Get real! Tonights AMD earnings might put that fear of execution risk in to the broader market.Its not priced in, that's for sure.

Also, I listened to Mohammed El Erian, on CNBC this morning. He is such a brilliant man you have to pay attention to what he says. He thinks it will be better if the FED hints at tapering tomorrow and have the market take a measured hit now, instead of breaking the news later on and upset the apple cart. I have to agree with him. (JMHO)

AMD as well as Intel have their own foundries, they don't rely on TSMC for wafers, however China holds the cards on REM so the world is at risk until we start mining for them again. The chip problem can be solved easily if we break away from relying on China for the rare earth materials.

I love my country, I fear my government.

#3 Chilidawgz

Chilidawgz

A fool and his money... (the second mousie gets the cheese)

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 03:27 PM

"AMD as well as Intel have their own foundries, they don't rely on TSMC for wafers"

Wrong. AMD sold their foundry business and rely 100% on others to manufacture for them.

Anything can happen...what's happening now?
No one can forecast the future. No one.

All stocks (ETF's) are BAD...unless they go up - William O'Neil
When The Time Comes To Buy or Sell, You Won't Want To - Walter Deemer

#4 jesteronyer6

jesteronyer6

• Traders-Talk User
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 06:09 PM

"AMD as well as Intel have their own foundries, they don't rely on TSMC for wafers"

Wrong. AMD sold their foundry business and rely 100% on others to manufacture for them

.I stand corrected I did not know they sold off Global Foundries.  Shame....

#5 Chilidawgz

Chilidawgz

A fool and his money... (the second mousie gets the cheese)

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 06:19 PM

Wrong. AMD sold their foundry business and rely 100% on others to manufacture for them

no shame, easy to do

Anything can happen...what's happening now?
No one can forecast the future. No one.

All stocks (ETF's) are BAD...unless they go up - William O'Neil
When The Time Comes To Buy or Sell, You Won't Want To - Walter Deemer

#6 jesteronyer6

jesteronyer6

• Traders-Talk User
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 07:36 PM

no shame, easy to do

What's easy? Starting a foundry that has success in yielding chips from wafers. Billions of transistors in single digit nanometer die size.  Not easy at all. SO yes a shame that they sold the fab and now they can't make enough video cards or X86 chips. 

#7 slupert

slupert

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 03:27 PM

Guess I was wrong, the new go to word is bottlenecks,  sounds so much better than execution risk. That word risk just isn't in anyone's vocabulary any more.