• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,530 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 10:08 PM

Permanent because the government has the power to print money and that power is intoxicating, and will continue so long as we have unwashed masses have the majority votes.

Exaggerated because dollar has devalued so much in my lifetime, so if you adjust the indexes to inflation, SPX for example was at 525 in December 1960 while dollar has devalued by 783.72%. from December 1960 to date. Inflation adjusted SPX today would be 525 x 7.83 = 4110. 

So we closed at 4297.50 today. Not much of a gain from 1960 in purchasing power,

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#2 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 11:01 PM

Exaggerated because dollar has devalued so much in my lifetime, so if you adjust the indexes to inflation, SPX for example was at 525 in December 1960 while dollar has devalued by 783.72%. from December 1960 to date. Inflation adjusted SPX today would be 525 x 7.83 = 4110. 

So we closed at 4297.50 today. Not much of a gain from 1960 in purchasing power,

Speaking of inflation, here's a handy dandy website that might be of interest to the reader that will likely add to the discussion: https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#3 Douglas

Douglas

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 05:56 AM

The funny money bull market that is.  The "real" money bull market in the DJIA peaked in 1999 and hasn't even been able to do a 50% retracement since then.  The current up leg may have peaked in 2018 depending on whether that high or the 2020 low is taken out first.    

SRCI2YC.png

Regards,

Douglas

#4 pdx5

pdx5

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,530 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 07:20 AM

Speaking of inflation, here's a handy dandy website that might be of interest to the reader that will likely add to the discussion: https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Fib

Very hand dandy calculator! Thanks...

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#5 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 08:02 AM

The answer to inflation is to make millions, it won't matter to you then.

The average wage worker is no better off
over the last 50 years.

#6 pdx5

pdx5

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,530 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 10:02 AM

The answer to inflation is to make millions, it won't matter to you then.

The average wage worker is no better off
over the last 50 years.

Yes! The successful investor stays one step ahead of inflation.

Bad news is inflation is ubiquitous, so can never relax with all money is saving account and CD's.

#7 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,964 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 04:42 PM

..>over the last 50 years.< ? bad news?    ......really  ,.....     what was the minimum wage 50 years ago..........and u never see junkers on the road any more.......inflation was and is so predictabe......personal debt shrinks......thats why the avg home cost is over 300 k now.....unbelieveable........deflation is the killer   i..

#8 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 05:40 PM

..>over the last 50 years.< ? bad news?    ......really  ,.....     what was the minimum wage 50 years ago..........and u never see junkers on the road any more.......inflation was and is so predictabe......personal debt shrinks......thats why the avg home cost is over 300 k now.....unbelieveable........deflation is the killer   i..

I just don't see anyone getting anywhere on 40-50k per year, all they have is a mortgage they will be paying on for 30 years. People now need to make 100-150k minimum to pay their house off early.

It's not easy to make 150k, need 4yr degree, own business or truck driver for years.

#9 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,964 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 06:26 PM

I just don't see anyone getting anywhere on 40-50k per year, all they have is a mortgage they will be paying on for 30 years. People now need to make 100-150k minimum to pay their house off early.

It's not easy to make 150k, need 4yr degree, own business or truck driver for years.

>It's not easy to make 150k, need 4yr degree<     where do you come up with this idea????

my grandawter at 18 gets 60k a year on her first job.NO DEGREE..........what kinda neighborhood do u live in?      wow......and who sed anything was easy    and so how does anyone start and own a  business......truck driver?    there is a shortage now.....of course u can be an uneducated plumber and make 300k a year.....cmon man.....>. People now need to make 100-150k minimum to pay their house off early.<    what dummy wants to pay off their house early.........the equity in all my houses were ATMS

Edited by da_cheif, 01 July 2021 - 06:31 PM.