Risk Windows for the Week of October 25th and the Genie

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas

Douglas

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 05:43 AM

According to my risk summation system, the days this week with the highest risk of a turn in or acceleration of the current trend are Wednesday October 27th and Friday October 29th with Friday's being the stronger signal. 

Last week I noted that the system didn't produce any clear risk window winners and that turned out to be correct in that there were no sharp turns or acceleration days just a nice steady climb higher.

xF91S3I.png

A lot of Elliott Wave gurus' wave counts crashed this past week when the market made a new high.  My expectation for some sort of correction has so far also floundered, so living in a glass house, I can't really get away with throwing any rocks.  The next risk window for a sharp  turn lower is next week, the first week of November.  Working against this negativity is the likelihood of some sort of spending deal making its way out of the morass that is Congress late this or next week too.  The reality of more funny money destined to make its way into the stock market should put a floor under any correction.  The question is whether the funny money flood will drive demand or supply faster.  The current demand winner is certainly driving inflation.  Supercharging that demand with several more trillion in fresh funny money is not going to help curb prices. 

Now that the inflation genie is clearly out of the bottle, the FED's primary mission of using gradual inflation to make the working poor really poor while making the rich folks' yachts really large is probably nearing some sort of inflection point.  The tapering talk is clearly not doing much to curb inflation.  The FED seriously stepping into the breach to turn this tide, whenever it occurs,  might just provide the market with one of those Wile E. Coyote off the cliff moments with nothing but air under foot.  Given flying prices, that would now certainly seem to be a matter of when, not if, and sooner, not later.

J4lriPN.png

Regards,

Douglas    

#2 LMF

LMF

• Traders-Talk User
  • 801 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 10:42 AM

There are gaps on the daily VIX up to about 21, so that will show up at some point in the future. But its bullish seasonality coming next no matter what. And the bonds bear is alive and well with inflation. SPX AD line at new ATH on Friday so I like the bias higher for big stocks.

#3 Douglas

Douglas

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 11:30 AM

LMF, sometimes the AD line does not diverge at the top.  See the plot below from the early 2020 top.  The red arrow points to the high in the NYSE and the NY Common Stock AD line.   I think that the AD tops first when the news that ultimately kills the market is known early to insiders who start emptying their stock cupboards of riskier, more thinly traded stocks quietly before the news is widely known (or understood) which only shows up in the AD line.  If the public and insiders get the bad news together, they both race for the exits at the same time like in early 2020.  So, the question you have to ask yourself if you're looking for this AD turn first divergence is, what is the killer news this time and how widely is it/will it be known, or maybe more accurately, recognized as a market poison.  Is it something that the smart money will "see" before the masses?  If so, I would think you should be forewarned by the AD line divergence.  If not, then it's every man for himself when the news breaks.

Uek6ybJ.png

Regards,

Douglas

Edited by Douglas, 25 October 2021 - 11:39 AM.

#4 LMF

LMF

• Traders-Talk User
  • 801 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 12:01 PM

I gave up on the broader NYSE AD with all the small stocks after the beat down from COVId. The SPX AD tops in 2000 2008 and 2015 are Good enough for my work.

#5 LMF

LMF

• Traders-Talk User
  • 801 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 12:16 PM

I probably dont spend much time on AD divergences. I think the better analysis point is the SPX AD line going below its 200 day MA. Time below the 200 is it. That was the key to knowing the economic shutdown was just a good looking blip on the charts. New highs were coming back then.

#6 Douglas

Douglas

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 12:38 PM

Don't give up on the NY Common Stock AD line just yet.  As you can see in the plot below, it's giving you a divergence right now.  It could be resolved by the AD line going higher or the NYSE coming down, but one way or another it should get resolved.  In the bottom plot you can see the SPX AD line is not diverging, so who do you believe?  That's the rub.  I suspect the NYSE is just early to the party and the SPX will join in once the music gets really loud.

knlpH2o.png

4FYcDaa.png

Regards,

Douglas

#7 LMF

LMF

• Traders-Talk User
  • 801 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 12:14 PM

We need a super cynical post on the Atlanta fed GDP estimate at 0.2 percent for Q3. The first government number on it comes out tomorrow. Fed quits the moron taper talk, and has to print to infinity.