Photo

Harry Potter's Monetary Policy Wand? New BULL market?

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#1 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,455 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 04:50 PM

Good post on this topic:

Harry Potter's Monetary Policy Wand?

The Fed is outside of politics but not our civic life. It has an obligation to display more intellectual rigor and honest realism than it did this week.”
Former Treasury Secretary Lawrence Summers, The Washington Post, March 17, 2022.

The Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) is reassuring us that, so long as we are patient, price stability will return without further pain. But its narrative seems less grounded in historical experience and more like something Harry Potter might have conjured at Hogwarts. By the end of 2024, the Committee expects trend inflation (measured by the price index of personal consumption expenditures excluding food and energy) to drop by more than 3 percentage points while economic growth remains above (and the unemployment rate below) its sustainable level. And, all this magic materializes with the real (inflation-adjusted) policy rate barely turning positive. Unsurprisingly, we share former Treasury Secretary Summers’ skepticism about the FOMC’s fantasy (see the citation above).

The principal means by which the Fed affects the inflation outlook is by influencing financial conditions. Yet, having telegraphed its policy shift for months, the FOMC’s most recent actions on March 16—initiating a series of rate hikes and suggesting that balance sheet tapering could begin soon—barely affected the ease with which firms and households obtain financing. To see this, consider the two-day change of key financial indicators from the end-of-day prior to the announcement. The 10-year Treasury yield rose by 5 basis points, the two-year yield by 9 basis points, the S&P 500 increased more than 3%, and the dollar index fell around 1%. And, while financial conditions are indeed a bit tighter than six months ago—when about one-half of FOMC participants anticipated no interest rate hikes in 2022—these conditions remain quite accommodative (see here).

https://www.moneyand...ary-policy-wand

#2 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,455 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 04:54 PM

Mixed week, with 3 green days, 2 red on Thursday and Friday, but Friday's loss was less than 700 and I 

expect more red days as I build a large SHORT position

Closed all ETFs and Stocks, closed all OPTIONS, cut down on daytrading OPTIONS and ETFs, at least for now as market rallies

37 SPY PUTS

1 ES HEDGE LONG

40 QQQ PUTS

1 NQ HEDGE LONG

Will add more PUTS and hedges, looking at VIX CALLS and also ENERGY trades

#3 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,455 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 04:56 PM

Can still spike higher....

McClellanOsc_1261.gif

https://www.mcoscill...t_breadth_data/

#4 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,455 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 04:57 PM

Drawdown in NDX Stocks

ndx_drawdown1_mar2022-300x168.gif

When the Nasdaq 100 Index (NDX) hit its low point (so far) for the current downtrend on March 8, 2022, the NDX was down 20.0% from its all-time high of 16,573 made on Nov. 19, 2021.  That is for the index itself. 

But on that same day, the average drawdown for the component stocks that make up the NDX was 28.8%.  So how can this be that the average stock is down a bunch more than the index?  Warning: there is math ahead.

The NDX is a cap-weighted index, meaning that the bigger stocks like... Read More

https://www.mcoscill..._in_ndx_stocks/

#5 dTraderB

dTraderB

• Traders-Talk User
  • 17,455 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 04:58 PM

Have a great weekend! This weeks rally was 0 coincidence: #ES_F broke out its 3 month triangle, this is the shot at ending the downtrend
Plan Next Week: 4545-65 = target.
Pullback likely en route (4465 or 4495).
Bulls must defend 4405 at all costs, or its a fakeout. Detail below

#6 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,022 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 06:16 PM

It's LeviOsa not LevioSA!

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#7 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,583 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 07:35 PM

Not usually on here, but added some more shorts on Friday into the close and right from the open today I added to my short and now am in at an average 4432, will continue to add overnight if we continue higher here to be ready for an exciting week!! 

#8 kinga200

kinga200

• TT Member+
  • 594 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 02:46 AM

Smartas I said over a year ago, this is Stagflation. Get ready to boogie.

Very new lows to come. IMHO.

#9 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,583 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 07:15 AM

Was up early this morning and surprised to see the market coming back with oil and yields moving up.  None of this rally has changed my mind at all that the market won't remain in this volatile range for some time to come and as we go along will likely see lighter and lighter volume with lots of movement in both directions.  We'll likely continue to see mixed days with tech up one day while the Dow and S&P down etc.  Not sure this rally is completely done yet but likely getting close.  I've added a little more to my short bringing my average to a nice even 4435....

#10 12SPX

12SPX

• Traders-Talk User
  • 12,583 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 08:54 AM

This market is hilarious seeing this much a pop after Friday.  Took profits on my sold April 3500 puts for a profit of $13!!  Will start selling puts later on this week maybe and getting tempting to hold shorts longer term....