Fed Funds 2 year note stimulus fundamentals

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 14 May 2022 - 04:47 PM

Below is my "Boom/Bust" chart that measures the spread between the 2 year note and the Fed Funds Rate. Right now, the Fed continues to be very slow in raising its target rates which is providing excess stimulus to the financial markets (and probably why savings rates aren't moving higher with each increase). This is potentially good news for the longer term bulls on a historic basis, but it's also bad news for the intermediate term in that this keeps the rate of inflation "hot", the buying and selling of consumer goods and services stagnant, with lower business profits and earnings as a result.

Bottom line, the quicker we see the Fed raise rates to match the yield on the 2 year note, the quicker that equities will find a tradable bottom. Looking at the past, the lag time here could be months away.

At least that's the fundamental theory behind this.

Other opinions are most welcomed as fundamentalism is really not my forte.

Fib

boombust051422.png

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#2 MikeyG

MikeyG

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 08:11 PM

Looking at a stock like UPS, that has never cut its dividend even through the economic collapse of 2008 is a great barometer of fundamentals. Div yield a 1/2 point higher than the 10 year. Projections of SPX 2000 are simply ridiculous at this juncture. Unless we see oil keep rising, then all bets are off.

Edited by MikeyG, 16 May 2022 - 08:12 PM.

mdgcapital@protonmail.com  

papilioinvest.com

@papilioinvest

"One soul is worth more than the whole world." 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fed Funds, 2 year note, stimulus, fundamentals