Open Gaps. Do gaps mean anything?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 skott

skott

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 11:41 AM

I'm seeing some open down gaps from August 2022 in MSFT, SMH has a small one from April of last year. Just looking, wondering. Some say they are always filled and that stops the move or not. Other times stocks fail to close that gap. Usually it is a point of recognition, good or bad, or it's panic. Just looking. no prediction. just wondering what you think of gaps not any stock in particular. I've just been watching of few key big techs because like the nifty 50 in the 1970's they are what's holding the market up.

thinkorswim Sharing (tos.mx)

#2 skott

skott

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 12:19 PM

I posted this inverse h&S a couple days ago or whatever so this is not after the fact chart.. So far QQQ has broken thru the second neckline (the top of the sloping neckline) and has comeback and succesfully tested that breakout (304ish)  at least so far.  ON a daily this is another lower high if it holds.

#3 skott

skott

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 12:25 PM

The S&P futures looks like a bear flag after break two trendlines. Doesn't look good to me but what do I know? nuttin. A big futures trader I knew always said the S&P futures is the General of the market. The Big tech names are the folks on the titanic trying to catch the last few lifeboats. I guess next week we'll know the answer. The consensus one way or the other means nothing. It's kinda ridiculous that peoples retirement $$ depends on what one man says or how he says it.

#4 skott

skott

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 12:30 PM

am i mistaken, isn't the Russell 2000 just 4% + off the Oct lows?

#5 skott

skott

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 01:56 PM

QQQ went right to that 304 level again and held which is what you'd expect on a first test. no time for decisions off to work. Thank the Good Lord this week is almost over

#6 slupert

slupert

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 03:18 PM

You have to learn the difference between the S&p 500 and the NDX100. The NDX is tech, its furures are /NQ, tech was up 6% this week. The S&P 500, s 500 stocks that are considered the best benchmark for large cap securities, the futures ar the  /ES.The banks are a large component of the S&P 500

#7 K Wave

K Wave

• Traders-Talk User
  • 26,544 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 03:51 PM

IF tech DOES roll over next week, then sledding gonna get real rough soon.

If not, then perhaps one last 6 week ramp before the piper is paid.

Essentially, the entire market is now about about whether Apple holds the 153 breakout or not.

Market WILL NOT crash without it on board, but if it does roll over, kiss it all goodbye....

Edited by K Wave, 17 March 2023 - 03:51 PM.

The strength of Government lies in the people's ignorance, and the Government knows this, and will therefore always oppose true enlightenment. - Leo Tolstoy

#8 skott

skott

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 06:13 PM

You have to learn the difference between the S&p 500 and the NDX100. The NDX is tech, its furures are /NQ, tech was up 6% this week. The S&P 500, s 500 stocks that are considered the best benchmark for large cap securities, the futures ar the  /ES.The banks are a large component of the S&P 500

not sure if this comment was meant for me. I traded futures for 15 years successfully, so I'm well aware.

Edited by skott, 17 March 2023 - 06:15 PM.

#9 skott

skott

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 18 March 2023 - 11:31 AM

https://www.marketwa...t-says-f5fddea2

Every hiking cycle over the last 70 years ends in recession or a financial crisis. ‘It’s not going to be different this time,’ Morgan Stanley strategist says.

Edited by skott, 18 March 2023 - 11:32 AM.

#10 skott

skott

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 11:04 AM

Do gaps mean anything?  MSFT