• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,022 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:51 AM

It went out at 117. That's clearly a signal. Is it a coincidental Sell, or a Buy? I say the former. We'll have to see. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#2 Dex

Dex

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:32 AM

Former - Latter
Former refers to the first of two things, latter to the second. Strictly speaking, if there are more than two things first or first-named and last or last-named should be used, but this rule is often ignored. The use of former and latter mean that the reader has to go back over the sentence (or, worse, the listener has to remember it). It is usually better to repeat a word; in the sentence Some people prefer dogs to cats because the former are more faithful it is easier, and kinder to the reader, to write because dogs are more faithful.

From the society to stamp out the use of "Former - Latter".
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. "
17_16

#3 Frac_Man

Frac_Man

Hank Wernicki M.A.

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:38 AM

??????????????????????????

I'm confused , it's a sell right ?

Former - Latter
Former refers to the first of two things, latter to the second. Strictly speaking, if there are more than two things first or first-named and last or last-named should be used, but this rule is often ignored. The use of former and latter mean that the reader has to go back over the sentence (or, worse, the listener has to remember it). It is usually better to repeat a word; in the sentence Some people prefer dogs to cats because the former are more faithful it is easier, and kinder to the reader, to write because dogs are more faithful.

From the society to stamp out the use of "Former - Latter".

#4 Data

Data

• Validating
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:42 AM

Is it merely coincidental? I would've preferred it be unequivocal irregardless of whether it's the former or the latter.

#5 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,022 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:43 AM

I see the wisdom in your statement, however, since the run of the two sentences didn't span a line, one wonders at the benefit of dispatching my anachronistic usage (in this context). ;) BTW, in my business, we deal with essentially the same several permutations, day after day. The late, GREAT, Trader Nick is about the only one who managed to do so beautifully every time. The rest of us, I fear, have to slog through and fight to not repeat ourselves or seem overly boring. I often default to uncommon or archaic usages to lend a smidgen of interest to the prose.

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#6 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:45 AM

Uh? :huh: You sound like a surgeon explaining to the family what went wrong ... they can't understand, so can't argue ... let alone sue. By the way, here's the surgeons favorite psychological ploy - tell the family before hand that "it's the worse case he's ever seen like this" ..... then, when it all gets botched, the family won't be surprised, because, after all, it was a REALLY bad case. This must be in the MD unspoken curriculum, as I see it done all the time and it is nauseating. But Mark, you know I still love your posts. C.C. :-)

Edited by calmcookie, 28 February 2007 - 09:52 AM.

#7 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,022 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:47 AM

I think it's a Sell. The activity level implies that what happened yesterday was important. It's just that the movement in the market was so great that the signal could have spent itself. Personally, I doubt it. I see signs of dip buying by the least sophisticated speculators.

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#8 raleigh

raleigh

• Traders-Talk User
  • 528 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:31 PM

My neurosurgeon told me FIVE times all the risks including quadiplegia, stroke, clots, death, nonimprovement, infection, etc. Sure enough !