DoS attacks

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 briarberry

briarberry

• Traders-Talk User
  • 214 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:00 AM

infected IPs I think these people need an email telling them to install a firewall, so their computer cannot be taken over I've got a software firewall plus there's a firewall on the server BUT last time I updated my antivirus software it found a "password catcher" just got my credit card statement and it's ok it just goes to show how easy it is for your computer to be used by someone else without you knowing about it I avoid dodgy web sites and don't run software from the internet but I still got infected It's probably only due to the fact that I've got a double firewall that saved me losing 1000s - because the firewall stops all software apart from IE from connecting to the internet - I guess the software could get on my computer but couldn't report back my details over the internet I've installed some IE6 security patches and blocked ActiveX so hope it won't happen again but I think Microsoft have been very dishonest about the safety of their software when people buy a computer they expect it to work, they're not prepared online muggings - I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't go online if they really knew is it possible to change the address of this website ?

Edited by briarberry, 02 March 2007 - 06:04 AM.

#12 DRYALLS

DRYALLS

• Admin
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 07:16 AM

I have to be careful what I say here, but am open to discussion to see if you guys have any ideas that I haven't considered... Strictly, what we are experiencing is a DDoS attack, when several different IPs at once visit the site. It's quite possible that the people doing it, are doing it unwittingly by (for example) visiting a site which downloads some code to their PC which then runs on their PC and hits this site, HARD. We know they are all coincidentally hitting on the same Traders-Talk URL, a particular topic on this board, but it's not possible for us to find out how or why, just which IP they are using. We are almost certain that we are not serving up Ads on others behalf. Changing the servers address we think will not make any difference because the attacks are using our URL, not our IP as their destination. So we'd go through the pain of changing IP, telling DNS, you losing access for a couple of days, then it all starting over.
Oh, I said "I'm so happy, I could die."
She said "Drop dead," then left with another guy.

#13 Vector

Vector

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:07 AM

its probably being attacked by some sore loser who wants the market to crash and for an end to free capital markets...probably some terrorist loser... keep dreaming loser!!!! Not gonna happen!

Edited by Vector, 02 March 2007 - 09:08 AM.

#14 mdwllc

mdwllc

• Traders-Talk User
  • 574 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:39 AM

Kisa: Sorry, I couldn't reply on my earlier visit because I kept getting knocked off. This DOS is from an off shore Asian country to test our weaknessess. The is a symposium being held on the East Coast on March 19th by the NSA -- but only if you have a current Top Secret clearance in effect...MDW :cry:
Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way...

Be Sure to Perform Your Own Due Diligence

#15 greenie

greenie

• Traders-Talk ~
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:51 AM

Kisa: Sorry, I couldn't reply on my earlier visit because I kept getting knocked off.

This DOS is from an off shore Asian country to test our weaknessess. The is a symposium being held on the East Coast on March 19th by the NSA -- but only if you have a current Top Secret clearance in effect...MDW :cry:

what is an 'off shore' asian country??? and why would they test weakness of an off-bit trading site? They should rather play with google, yahoo or even CNN.
It is not the doing that is difficult, but the knowing

It's the illiquidity, stupid !

#16 gorydog

gorydog

• Traders-Talk User
  • 738 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:52 AM

Maybe a banned individual, exacting revenge. GD

#17 mdwllc

mdwllc

• Traders-Talk User
  • 574 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:55 AM

Kisa: Sorry, I couldn't reply on my earlier visit because I kept getting knocked off.

This DOS is from an off shore Asian country to test our weaknessess. The is a symposium being held on the East Coast on March 19th by the NSA -- but only if you have a current Top Secret clearance in effect...MDW :cry:

Our good friend China has a dedicated group that is constantly testing our defense and financial network soft points. This group has a specific name, and I am not trying to be dramatic, but if one uses it you are on a watch list! ....MDW :ninja:
Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way...

Be Sure to Perform Your Own Due Diligence