Record Inflow into Mutual Funds

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Citation

Citation

• Traders-Talk User
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:12 PM

Just announced on CNBC: The announcer (Bob Pisano, I think) just said that there were "record inflows into U.S. mutual funds after last week's trouncing." He found it very encouraging that instead of retreating after last week's vicious selloff, people have STEPPED UP THEIR BUYING after the selloff. Clearly, he concluded, people are not scared and saw this as a great opportunity to invest. He also said that people are pulling money out of emerging markets and piling into U.S. funds.

#2 Cirrus

Cirrus

• TT Patron+
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:17 PM

Bearish IMO. If we had record outflows it would be time to buy.

#3 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,963 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:40 PM

Bearish IMO. If we had record outflows it would be time to buy.

actually if you have been keeping track of inflows....you wouldnt be bearish about it....but hugely bullish.......fund managers gonna have a problem with each other trying to get in....

#4 spielchekr

spielchekr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:43 PM

That was last week, this is this week. But hoarding cash is argued to be as bullish as spending it, so win-win.

Money Market Mutual Fund Assets
March 8, 2007
Washington, DC, March 8, 2007 - Total money market mutual fund assets increased by $32.88 billion to $2.431 trillion for the week ended Wednesday, March 7, the Investment Company Institute reported today.</H1>Assets of Money Market Mutual Funds
(billions of dollars)

Posted Image

Retail: Assets of retail money market funds increased by $14.38 billion to $1.007 trillion. Taxable money market fund assets in the retail category increased by $11.13 billion to $768.47 billion, and tax-exempt fund assets increased by $3.25 billion to $238.49 billion.

Institutional: Assets of institutional money market funds increased by $18.50 billion to $1.424 trillion. Among institutional funds, taxable money market fund assets increased by $18.53 billion to $1.281 trillion, and tax-exempt fund assets decreased by $26.9 million to $143.00 billion.

ICI reports money market fund assets to the Federal Reserve each week. Revisions are due to data adjustments, reclassifications, and changes in the number of funds reporting. The Institute also provides other statistical reports on investment companies, including monthly reports on five broad categories of mutual funds.

Edited by spielchekr, 08 March 2007 - 10:43 PM.

#5 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,529 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:02 PM

Money Market funds increase directly translates into bullish for stocks? I thought people sold out of stock mutual funds and transferred into cash money market funds, which is why the increase. That would be money fleeing the stocks into cash. How about some figures on levels of CASH in STOCK mutual funds? That would be bullish if there was a good increase there.
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#6 jonbear

jonbear

• Traders-Talk User
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 02:20 AM

AMG Data reports a slightly different set of data for the week ending March 7th, which includes equity fund outflows from both domestic and non-domestic funds, taxable bond fund inflows, and money market fund inflows.

Supplemental data can be viewed at their link below.

http://www.amgdata.c...ine.php?id=1513