• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jawndissedi

jawndissedi

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:23 AM

will never get old! :D :lol: :D

In early trading, the shares were at $1.86 on the New York Stock Exchange.

Bloomberg
Da nile is more than a river in Egypt.

#2 greenie

greenie

• Traders-Talk ~
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:15 AM

To complete a trade, there has to be a buyer and seller. Question is who is buying those stocks????
It is not the doing that is difficult, but the knowing

It's the illiquidity, stupid !

#3 jawndissedi

jawndissedi

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:25 AM

To complete a trade, there has to be a buyer and seller. Question is who is buying those stocks????

Well, my ex-wife's boyfriend was a big buyer of Worldcom when it hit $1 because, as he explained to me at the time, "After all, it is Worldcom." Maybe he's buying NEW this morning -- I sure hope so! :D :D :D

And, oh yes, "smart money" has also been buying:

Citigroup disclosed on Feb. 28 that it recently upped its stake in New Century to over 5%, adding some 1 million shares just weeks before New Century revealed the investigation by federal prosecutors. Citigroup declined to comment. -- Business Week, 7MAR2007

I guess they're even smarter today . . . . :lol:

Edited by jawndissedi, 12 March 2007 - 08:32 AM.

#4 greenie

greenie

• Traders-Talk ~
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:37 AM

Now think about it - one year back, you were thinking correction to housing bubble is all priced in - even before you saw one cockroach :D Speaking of cockroaches, which one will be the next do you think?

#5 jawndissedi

jawndissedi

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:57 AM

Now think about it - one year back, you were thinking correction to housing bubble is all priced in - even before you saw one cockroach :D

Speaking of cockroaches, which one will be the next do you think?

I believe NFI may actually go BK along with NEW -- in fact, I thought NFI would get there first. I'm also very bearish on NDE, LEND, FED, AHM and FMT. I think DSL is in a lot of trouble, but I'm not making much money on that one so far. As noted previously, I will cover CFC sooner rather than later.

BTW, I'm seeing stories that NEW is halted -- if it goes BK, I never cover and the proceeds of my short sale are TAX FREE. It doesn't get much better than that . . . ;)

#6 greenie

greenie

• Traders-Talk ~
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:14 AM

BTW, I'm seeing stories that NEW is halted -- if it goes BK, I never cover and the proceeds of my short sale are TAX FREE. It doesn't get much better than that . . . ;)

I was wondering about that as well - how does it work? Is it true that if you do not cover, you pay no taxes even if the company is gone???

BTW, here is what I am seeing on DSL - ST and LT.

It turned around from a powerful trend line. The trendline is powerful, because the general markets are following the same line from Oct.

So, DSL is very likely to head down ST.

Posted Image

LT, it is still in its uptrend, until it breaks the lower line in this second chart. So, the market still does not think it is as vulnerable as the other ones. We will know, when it reaches the line. However, the fact that it reacted faster to the upper line means the market thinks the company is weaker than the general market.

Posted Image

I have some DSL shorts. I am going to hold them, until it reaches 62. Then, I can decide.

Another category that is vulnerable to death spiral is the homebuilders. If subprime goes away, so does their business. Some ones like BZH, CTX, MTH are the weakest. But they will not probably collapse as fast as subprime ones.

#7 steve

steve

• Traders-Talk User
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:16 AM

I believe NFI may actually go BK along with NEW -- in fact, I thought NFI would get there first. I'm also very bearish on NDE, LEND, FED, AHM and FMT. I think DSL is in a lot of trouble, but I'm not making much money on that one so far. As noted previously, I will cover CFC sooner rather than later.

My accountant says new tax rules mean you have to pay tax on shorts that go BK. I had to pay on one short in 2003.

#8 jawndissedi

jawndissedi

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:32 AM

My accountant says new tax rules mean you have to pay tax on shorts that go BK. I had to pay on one short in 2003.

You may be right about this. I won't know for sure until I see how IB reports the trade to the IRS next year.

#9 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,027 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:39 AM

It's pretty bogus. I bet they don't force you to take the loss if you are holding a long! Usually, what happens is that brokers don't want to deal with a short in a company that's delisted and up the margin requirements or otherwise pressure you to cover it. I'm not sure that there's a hard an fast rule on this type of thing. I will say that such is a dandy trade and you pounded the table all the way down. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter