If you want to be a guru, stop being bearish

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 greenie

greenie

• Traders-Talk ~
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:28 AM

Forbes here says "Gurus Buy Blue Chips, Unwind Bearish Bets" and tells us that the gurus at Marketocracy are all getting long.

http://www.forbes.co...artner=yahootix

Strangely, one of the very consistent marketocracy guru I know (J Navin) is increasing his bearish bets, not reducing. I would expect others of his level are doing the same.
It is not the doing that is difficult, but the knowing

It's the illiquidity, stupid !

#2 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,023 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:43 AM

John is one of the top performers... One thing I want to say is that in any nasty decline we normally get some Bearish readings from the sentiment fairly early, and we either bounce or not, but then we really head down and get folks REALLY scared and claiming that sentiment doesn't work. I will also say that the speed with which the Bearishness rose implies that this is only a correction. Take it for what it's worth. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#3 Cirrus

Cirrus

• TT Patron+
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:39 AM

I have a fund that's in the "M100" right now. I've managed it since Jul of 2000. I can say that I'm only about 65-70% invested in my fund with the entire remainder in SDS and MZZ as I'm looking for a second wave down which may or may not come. I am now mostly invested in energy and materials again as I'm expecting another spring bottom.....FWIW. There is plenty of bullishness though as the cash levels are very low.

#4 Jnavin

Jnavin

• TT Member*
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:02 AM

Just covered, Greenie.

#5 Jnavin

Jnavin

• TT Member*
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:34 AM

Couple of other things: that Marketocracy crowd seems to be mostly fundamentally-oriented. Sometimes they're top stock picks are good fades. RE: being a guru. I tried it for awhile and didn't like it. Now I'm just a trader.