Norton Security Software

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mdwllc

mdwllc

• Traders-Talk User
  • 574 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:24 PM

I have been spending the last two days transfering programs to a new computer [I don't plan to go into those problems, e.g.with Vista, my software and transfer from external storage].

The computer came Norton Anti-Virus/Internet security manufacture installed. [I quit using Norton several years ago because I thought it got too intertwined with other programs, particularly Windows.]

Yesterday, I found out that the US Government and its major defense contractors have determined that Symantec software developers apparantly have built in a "trojan" into their programs which would allow Symantec [or presumably some hacker] to come in the program's "back door." Consequently, neither are using Norton's products on their computers.

This is purely a "heads-up advisory" to suggest you think of the implications of what information exists on your computer and whether you might be at some degree of risk if any of your computer's data was obtained...MDW :sweatingbullets:
Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way...

Be Sure to Perform Your Own Due Diligence

#2 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:30 PM

I am not fond of Symantec ... "rebate" scoundrels ... that is putting it mildly. C.C. B)

Edited by calmcookie, 17 March 2007 - 08:32 PM.

#3 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,529 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:35 PM

I am always suspicious of the so called firewall and virus guard programs. First, I don't like how they slow my computer down. Next I am never sure if they have Trojans built in etc as per mdwllc's post above. I use no virus detection, no firewalls, no nothing. Yet have never been attacked by anything in 12 years of internet usage. My solution? I use two computers. One is for general surfing. That is the one I am using now to browse Traders-Talk. I have zero information of value on this computer. The older computer (8 years) I use strictly for logging into my 7 or 8 financial web sites. I stay on line as little as possible on my business computer. I never open emails or download anything on that computer. And whatever is stored on that computer is encrypted. So it will be very difficult (if not impossible) for others to look at my data. This way my computers don't bogg down, and I had zero security related problems on my business computer. Occasionally I will format the hard disk of my general browsing computer and reload Windows and a few other programs just in case a virus or spyware has been picked up, even though there is nothing of value on it.
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#4 Long/Short Funds

Long/Short Funds

• Traders-Talk User
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:59 AM

Thanks for the heads-up. I had heard this elsewhere and now you confirm it here also. Thanks...
Just an "Old Retired Fart" trying to keep my IRA invested with the market direction.

#5 Net

Net

• Traders-Talk User
  • 527 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:14 AM

I use no virus detection, no firewalls, no nothing. Yet have never been attacked by
anything in 12 years of internet usage. My solution?

I don't use anti virus software either, but firewalls are pretty much a requirement.... at the very least, because of worms. Worms are viruses that can attack and infect a computer, without the user doing anything at all, only by having the comptuer on. This type of worm attacks an "exploit," or a flaw in the OS that allows some worm virus to get into the computer, and make it respond to the virus while the attacked computer is just sitting there doing nothing. I have seen a computer infected within seconds of connecting to the internet... it can happen. Microsoft is regularly releasing patches to fix these exploits as soon as they are discovered. If you've ever read what Microsoft states about the patch, you'll often read something like, "Critical Security Update... ...fixes flaw that will allow a remote attacker to take control of your computer...." It's not a joke, and these types of flaws are discovered quite often.

Don't forget that computer criminals now create virus worms to silently and covertly enter a computer and transmit to the criminals keyboard capture, in an attempt to steal credit card numbers, bank account information, etc. In the past, virus writers wanted to damage computers for publicity.... but that's been changing. People can be infected and never know it, only to later become victims of identity and electronic credit card theft. The attack of choice is called a root kit, because a root kit is invisible to anti-virus software. Root kits are extremely difficult to find and can be rather difficult to remove when found. That's because they "become part" of the operating system, and can tell the operating system to ignore attempts by the user and anti-virus software to find it.

For firewalls, the most basic box that provides a substantial level of protection for very little cost is a box that provides "NAT (Network Address Translation)." It's just a box that sits between your computer and the internet, and changes public addresses to private ones. This prevents your computer from being directly accessable to vulnerabilities. (More advanced firewalls will monitor inbound and outbound traffic, and block specific types of traffic inbound, oubound, or both, and the more recent firewall technologies now scan for exploits in web pages, email, etc.)

More and more internet providers are already providing NAT in the cable and dsl routers... if your computer's IP address starts with 192.168.xxx.xxx or 172.(16-32).xxx.xxx or 10.xxx.xxx.xxx you are already using NAT and you already have good basic firewall protection outside of your computer. The key word here, is basic. A determined hacker has tools that can penetrate NAT, but otherwise your computer is basically invisible to the internet at large, when hidden behind NAT.

You can check your IP address by clicking Start-->Run... then in the RUN window, type " cmd " (without the quotes). Hit enter and a black command window will open. Type " ipconfig " at the command prompt and hit enter. If you don't have a private IP address, you should have some sort of firewall on your computer turned on, or you're at risk during connect time to the internet, regardless if you're surfing or not.

I don't like firewalls on the computer itself, and always turn off the Windows firewall, using only a "hardware" firewall. That basic level of protection can be bought starting atabout $50.00 from a place like Fry's or Best Buy.

#6 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:18 AM

Yesterday, I found out that the US Government and its major defense contractors have determined that Symantec software developers apparantly have built in a "trojan" into their programs which would allow Symantec [or presumably some hacker] to come in the program's "back door." Consequently, neither are using Norton's products on their computers.

This is important info for those who still use Norton. Can you tell me where you read this? Can you give me any reference? I would like to find out more ... and see if this is true.

Thanks, C.C.

Edited by calmcookie, 18 March 2007 - 09:18 AM.

#7 mdwllc

mdwllc

• Traders-Talk User
  • 574 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:53 AM

This is important info for those who still use Norton. Can you tell me where you read this? Can you give me any reference? I would like to find out more ... and see if this is true.

Thanks, C.C.

C.C.: No reading of material; conclusion reached after personal discussion with computer security personnel at a base in CO...MDW :)
Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way...

Be Sure to Perform Your Own Due Diligence

#8 TTHQ Staff

TTHQ Staff

www.TTHQ.com

• Admin
  • 8,597 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:16 PM

I don't use anti virus software either, but firewalls are pretty much a requirement.... at the very least, because of worms. Worms are viruses that can attack and infect a computer, without the user doing anything at all, only by having the comptuer on. This type of worm attacks an "exploit," or a flaw in the OS that allows some worm virus to get into the computer, and make it respond to the virus while the attacked computer is just sitting there doing nothing. I have seen a computer infected within seconds of connecting to the internet... it can happen. Microsoft is regularly releasing patches to fix these exploits as soon as they are discovered. If you've ever read what Microsoft states about the patch, you'll often read something like, "Critical Security Update... ...fixes flaw that will allow a remote attacker to take control of your computer...." It's not a joke, and these types of flaws are discovered quite often.

Don't forget that computer criminals now create virus worms to silently and covertly enter a computer and transmit to the criminals keyboard capture, in an attempt to steal credit card numbers, bank account information, etc. In the past, virus writers wanted to damage computers for publicity.... but that's been changing. People can be infected and never know it, only to later become victims of identity and electronic credit card theft. The attack of choice is called a root kit, because a root kit is invisible to anti-virus software. Root kits are extremely difficult to find and can be rather difficult to remove when found. That's because they "become part" of the operating system, and can tell the operating system to ignore attempts by the user and anti-virus software to find it.

For firewalls, the most basic box that provides a substantial level of protection for very little cost is a box that provides "NAT (Network Address Translation)." It's just a box that sits between your computer and the internet, and changes public addresses to private ones. This prevents your computer from being directly accessable to vulnerabilities. (More advanced firewalls will monitor inbound and outbound traffic, and block specific types of traffic inbound, oubound, or both, and the more recent firewall technologies now scan for exploits in web pages, email, etc.)

More and more internet providers are already providing NAT in the cable and dsl routers... if your computer's IP address starts with 192.168.xxx.xxx or 172.(16-32).xxx.xxx or 10.xxx.xxx.xxx you are already using NAT and you already have good basic firewall protection outside of your computer. The key word here, is basic. A determined hacker has tools that can penetrate NAT, but otherwise your computer is basically invisible to the internet at large, when hidden behind NAT.

You can check your IP address by clicking Start-->Run... then in the RUN window, type " cmd " (without the quotes). Hit enter and a black command window will open. Type " ipconfig " at the command prompt and hit enter. If you don't have a private IP address, you should have some sort of firewall on your computer turned on, or you're at risk during connect time to the internet, regardless if you're surfing or not.

I don't like firewalls on the computer itself, and always turn off the Windows firewall, using only a "hardware" firewall. That basic level of protection can be bought starting atabout $50.00 from a place like Fry's or Best Buy.

Excellent information, thank you.

#9 qqqqtrdr

qqqqtrdr

• Traders-Talk User
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:38 PM

Hey Guys: I've gotten rid of viruses on a few machines. My neighbor had about 20 varients of viruses on his machine. It took me a couple of days to clean his system. Viruses are out there and abundant. ISP's now scan emails for viruses so most of them don't get through to machines. Most people who don't run virus protection will get 2 or 3 virus and about 4- 6 spamware programs a year. Most of the time a virus goes on a computer it slows it down and open up ports and connects to other sites. The best protection is a hardware firewall.... I use firewall protection and Norton for Antivirus and Spamware. I'm switching over to Norton 360 which provides these solutions with less taxing on the hardware. Barry