Photo

Why is Vloume so high on a stock like GE ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nimblebear

nimblebear

Welcome to the Dark Side !

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,062 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:56 PM

This is a stock that has gone nowhere for 2 years. How come its near the top in terms of trading volume on a regular basis ? Just curious if someone could help out on this ?
OTIS.

#2 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,529 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:42 PM

I have a friend who trades just GE everyday! He buys and sells constantly trying
to scalp. And this guy is worth dozens of millions so he must be trading in big
quantities. I am sure there are thousands of others doing the same thing.

GE has probably more shares out there than almost every other outfit.
And the market is very liquid. That might explain the high volume.

This is a stock that has gone nowhere for 2 years. How come its near the top in terms of trading volume on a regular basis ?

Just curious if someone could help out on this ?

"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#3 ...

• Traders-Talk User
  • 510 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:36 AM

Size matters for the purpose of blunt, indiscriminate measurements. GE has the 2nd largest US market cap at about $350 billion. Only XOM is larger at $400 billion. GE is relatively boring and staid and certainly not a favorite spec vehicle, but the sheer number of shares out there guarantees that there's going to be a lot of activity just from the buy-and-holders. If you look at volume as a percentage of shares outstanding or float, or the value of turnover as a percentage of market cap, GE falls way, way out of the top 10.

#4 A-ha

A-ha

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,875 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:23 AM

GE brokedown an ancient trendline ... just like INTC there are bunch of stocks that will never see the highs in your life time i mentioned both of these stocks before they brokedown... because they were obvious, in almost all time frames... somethings never change in WS

Edited by xD&Cox, 18 March 2007 - 10:26 AM.