7 replies to this topic

#1 kaiser soze

kaiser soze

• Traders-Talk User
  • 884 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:09 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

During the summer'06 sell-off, the peak in implied volatility of volatility coincided with the peak in volatility itself. This time, the VIX has come back (settled down) quite a bit while the implied volatility of the VIX is still inching higher. Also, while the VIX itself never scaled the heights reached in 2006, its implied has.

Edited by kaiser soze, 21 March 2007 - 11:11 AM.

#2 flyers&divers

flyers&divers

• TT Patron+
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:15 AM

This means that writers of VIX options are not reducing asked premium levels because they expect more volatility. F&D
"Successful trading is more about Sun Tzu then Elliott." F&D

#3 Mtrader

Mtrader

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:30 AM

BIG IF. if sell off continues, it is going to be huge.
You are on your own. This is for demonstration only.
JV

#4 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,200 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:10 PM

This is the option implied volitility on the Vix. Is this the same as you are talking about?

Posted Image
"Nulla tenaci invia est via" - Latin for "For the tenacious, no road is impossible".
"In order to master the markets, you must first master yourself" ... JP Morgan
"Most people lose money because they cannot admit they are wrong"... Martin Armstrong

http://marketvisions.blogspot.com/

#5 kaiser soze

kaiser soze

• Traders-Talk User
  • 884 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:11 PM

My chart is from ivolatility.com. They have a proprietary formula that combines the implied option volatilities of several different strikes/expirations to generate a measure of Vix volatility that is consistent across different time frames. Also, the historical volatility is also overlaid for comparison. Your chart appears to be from IB-is that correct ? I dont know exactly how IB calculates the volatility of the VIX options.

#6 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,200 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:16 PM

Yes it is from IB. Did you mean that the 30 day historical volitility(red line) is up while the vix is down. The implied volatility (Blue line) is down.

My chart is from ivolatility.com. They have a proprietary formula that combines the implied option volatilities of several different strikes/expirations to generate a measure of Vix volatility that is consistent across different time frames. Also, the historical volatility is also overlaid for comparison.

Your chart appears to be from IB-is that correct ? I dont know exactly how IB calculates the volatility of the VIX options.

"Nulla tenaci invia est via" - Latin for "For the tenacious, no road is impossible".
"Most people lose money because they cannot admit they are wrong"... Martin Armstrong

#7 kaiser soze

kaiser soze

• Traders-Talk User
  • 884 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for correcting me. Yes, I meant the historical volatility is up. But the implied for the VIX did reach a higher value than it did in 2006.

#8 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,200 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:37 PM

Right now the Vix seems to be gunning for the gap on the chart as the spx rallies.
http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$VIX&p=D&b=5&g=0&i=p94195042070&r=8836.png

Thanks for correcting me. Yes, I meant the historical volatility is up. But the implied for the VIX did reach a higher value than it did in 2006.