Questions on your daily chart settings

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#11 kc135a

kc135a

• Traders-Talk User
  • 501 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:42 PM

I'm a "converted" fundamentalist and with the market being what it is, I've found myself daytrading far more now than I ever wanted to.

I use scottrade elite and wondered what settings you may use.

Scott in KC

Hi Scott

I use Scottrader, rarely Elite, and Tradestation on multiple computers with and without multiple monitors.

First, I have used Tradestation for about 8 years but it is now an overpriced bloated PIG. Even with today’s low volume it choked during the first ˝ hour making me use what? You guessed it, Scottrade’s software which after many poor years now executes like crazy.

If you have multiple monitors, …, great. If not, try this.

Setup Scottrader, not Elite, with about 10-15 quotes in the right hand corner of the screen.

To the left of it set up a 60 minute chart in the remaining space with the same height as the quote screen.

Above all of that, set up 3 more charts with 1 min, 5 min, and 10 minute time frames.

Stay with me on this.

Set the charts to the same equity, ETF, etc. with only a 20 MA and volume for indicators. Nothing else!

Trade in the direction (up/down) of the 20 MA on the chart with the time frame that suits your style with an eye on volume. Use the shorter time frame charts to give you a heads up on a potential change of trend (up or down) of the 20 MA on your working chart. I personally trade the 10 minute chart with an eye on the 1, 5, and 60 minute charts. You will find in time any move worth trading will start to get some volume behind it within 2-5 bars on a 1 minute chart. After a while, you will get a feel for how simple and effective this method is without a boat load of indicators to mess up your decision making.

However, you can still use Elite for a more in depth view. Just open Elite, do what you want, and then minimize it and use Scottrader to move in and out of your trades. I overlay the order entry over the bottom of the quote screen since it is easy to minimize or bring back. I also leave a very small sliver of the change order and open position screens on the right hand side for when needed. Each application only requires 10-15MB in memory so you should not have any troubles with a memory starved machine.

Hope this helps and for darn sure, …. , do not upgrade to Tradestation unless you like killing time during slow periods or after hours and paying heavy fees for the entertainment. Unfortunately they are a bunch of arrogant ?>#$'s that have turned a great product into a non-productive pig. You know they are going out the door.

KC

#12 flyers&divers

flyers&divers

• TT Patron+
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:56 AM

Scott, There is a recent book out which every short term trader should peruse because it has been written by a trader who really knows the ropes. John Carter: Mastering the Trade. BTW I buy my books on Half.com and resell them there after I have read them and took notes but Carter's book is a keeper. A good intraday system should include volatility bands because emotional traders and stop running, reaction to news take price fluctuations temporarily to the extremes which creates a low risk opportunity to trade with the trend. This type of trade is showing up on the everage 2x per day and I call this the snap-back trade. Several traders on this board (NAV for example) refer to pairs of MA's as dynamic support and resistance.. Pairs or layers of price bands can also be viewed as suport and resistance. Initiate a trade at the bands with the longer timeframe trend. Experiment with Keltner Channels and Standard Error Bands. If trading individual issues comparing what one is trading to the industry or wider averages is advisable.(ratio chart - what was called relative strenght chart before Welles Wilder confused everyone with labeling his oscillator RS). I trade ER2 and Crude Oil futures - whichever is busier at the particular moment - making dozens, sometimes hundreds of trades a day and all the standard formations and techniques work down to the tick level. I trade off tick bar charts and volume bar charts and use a compressed 1 minute chart for perspective. Regards, F&D
"Successful trading is more about Sun Tzu then Elliott." F&D

#13 vitaminm

vitaminm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:56 AM

Posted Image

OK, here's what happened today on one of the Semi's I follow.

Check the circle - I just happened to be watching KLAC when the 13 crossed the 60 then jumped above the 200 on the 1 minute. (I also got a quick look at the 60 minute screen and KLAC has a 10 week trendline in place) so went long at $53.06. Sold at $53.44 when it ran past the pivot point.

(Wish there was a way I could program it to give me a pop up or alert when that happened)

It's funny that a misread message, kind of put me onto this system - but what the heck, I'll take it

In the interest of full disclosure, I've watched/played KLAC since September when I found Xd's blog, so I've seen it do this more times than I care to remember (including when I was short).

Now just looking for another reliable indicator (or two) to watch.

KLAC

http://finance.yahoo...lac&t...0&a=&c=

http://finance.yahoo...XX sm...0&a=&c=
vitaminm