"We must do something!"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:02 PM

A couple of years ago I bought the coolest digital clocks.
A computer chip with a built in calander automatically sets itself when daylight savings time arrives or upon a power failure.
Until this year!
In an effort to save the planet, the Wise men of Washington DC moved up the date for daylight savings.
But it failed to save the planet or energy and now my clocks have to be manually reset!!!
The extra effort required to reset my clocks results in massive amounts of heavy breathing which produces not only heat but also CO2!
I feel so guilty.

By Lisa Lee

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The early onset of Daylight Savings Time in the United States this year may have been for naught.

The move to turn the clocks forward by an hour on March 11 rather than the usual early April date was mandated by the U.S. government as an energy-saving effort.

But other than forcing millions of drowsy American workers and school children into the dark, wintry weather three weeks early, the move appears to have had little impact on power usage.

"We haven't seen any measurable impact," said Jason Cuevas, spokesman for Southern Co., one of the nation's largest power companies, echoing comments from several large utilities.

That may come as no surprise to the Energy Department, which last year predicted only modest energy savings because the benefits of the later daylight hour would be offset.

For example, households may draw less electricity for lights at night, but will use more power in the early in the day as they wake to darker and chillier mornings.

DUH!

Edited by Rogerdodger, 02 April 2007 - 08:06 PM.

#2 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,873 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:17 PM

This reminds me of the "current" effort to get homeowners to "upgrade" to mercury containing fluorescent light bulbs. In a few years we will hear the warning of their dangers to the planet.
(I bought several of these with a 5 year guarantee! They burned out within a year and I had to send them to CHINA to have the warranty honored!)

Years ago, plastic shopping bags were the answer to paper bags, which caused deforestation.
Now you can be arrested for using a plastic bag.
(Plastic water bottles are still chic however.) ;)

Edited by Rogerdodger, 02 April 2007 - 08:27 PM.

#3 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,022 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:11 AM

Australia tried DST and it cost more money and spent more energy. Artificial change is inefficient. Given any choice in the matter, folks will gravitate to the most efficient time to do things. Its not like we're all stupid... Oh yeah, congress knows best... :/ M

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter