Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:45 PM

Prepared before the close today:
Posted Image

#2 Douglas

Douglas

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:12 AM

Do you also track T-Bond COT data? I have been tracking it for donkey's years but on paper. Presently I believe it is making a strong case for a bond rally - large small speculator and large speculator short positions and large commerical long position. This is definitely counter the strong down trend in T-Bonds, so some sort of trigger will be needed. The relative position of these three has been a pretty good indicator over the years of the potential for a trend reversal.

#3 jmicou

jmicou

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:23 AM

Do you also track T-Bond COT data? I have been tracking it for donkey's years but on paper. Presently I believe it is making a strong case for a bond rally - large small speculator and large speculator short positions and large commerical long position. This is definitely counter the strong down trend in T-Bonds, so some sort of trigger will be needed. The relative position of these three has been a pretty good indicator over the years of the potential for a trend reversal.

I don't keep data on them, but do look at those COT charts. Came to the same conclusion about the COT and now looking for a good technical set up for at least a tradeable bounce.

#4 dasein

dasein

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:40 AM

one source of cot data, for those who dont have any:

http://www.softwaren...itmentscurrent/

klh
best,
klh

#5 skott

skott

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 11:39 PM

I have to admit I don't see how this is usefull or predictive.

#6 jmicou

jmicou

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:27 AM

I have to admit I don't see how this is usefull or predictive.

That's ok. Some do. So, just posting the charts for those who might.
Posted Image

#7 PorkLoin

PorkLoin

• TT Member*
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:01 AM

Posted Image

1994 - momentum was waning and I was wondering about a market top.

Posted Image

During 1994 it looked like a triangle was forming, which coming during an uptrend often forecasts a thrust higher afterwards, many times a final thrust before a substantial downmove.

The thrust came, but the market just kept on going and going. I wasn't watching the COT at the time, but during 1995 I looked at it, and saw how bullish the Commercials had been at the end of 1994 and in early 1995.

COT isn't foolproof nor all that great a stand-alone indicator IMO, but I certainly think there is value in it as a filter or one of the items in one's trading tacklebox.

Best,

Doug