A possible fly in the ointment

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:41 AM

Is there something on the horizon that can put a big dent in the Goldielocks and the perpetual rally ?

Possibly.

Long term interest rates are in a very suspect spot. If they break out upwards out of this triangle, the whole new bull market in yield may have begun.

Mountains of debt will start coming home to roost.

Posted Image

#2 denleo

denleo

• Chartist
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:01 AM

The problem of "Mountains of debt" will be solved by The FED and US Treasury building bigger mountains of debt. This is not even a discussion any more. That is the fact of finance. Buy every pull back in stocks. Denleo

#3 jjc

jjc

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:18 AM

The problem of "Mountains of debt" will be solved by The FED and US Treasury building bigger mountains of debt. This is not even a discussion any more. That is the fact of finance. Buy every pull back in stocks.

Denleo

Speak of the devil:

Operation Date: 04/20/2007
Operation Type: Outright Coupon Purchase
Release Time: 10:34 AM
Close Time: 11:00 AM
Settlement Date: 04/23/2007
Maturity/Call Date Range: 05/31/2008 - 01/15/2009
Total Par Amt Accepted (mlns) : $1,879
Total Par Amt Submitted (mlns) : $12,873

#4 ogm

ogm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 13,780 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:53 AM

The problem of "Mountains of debt" will be solved by The FED and US Treasury building bigger mountains of debt. This is not even a discussion any more. That is the fact of finance. Buy every pull back in stocks.

Denleo

Here is the problem with that.

The mountains of debt are being bought by foreigners, who are in a precarious position, holding this low yeilding paper denominated in detiriorating currency. the US dollar.

As China and Asia get economicaly stronger, the standing of the US dollar will keep declining toghether with its value. The potential buyers of the new mountain of debt may start demanding higher interest for their efforts to offset the risk or erroding dollar. I wouldn't be surprized if the combination of falling dollar and new debt issuance will be the base of the new bull market in yields.

Now as for stocks, its hard to say how they will react to rising interest rates. Though historicaly rising interest rates weren't a good environment for stocks.

Edited by ogm, 20 April 2007 - 11:57 AM.

#5 Cirrus

Cirrus

• TT Patron+
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:01 PM

Denleo

Here is the problem with that.

The mountains of debt are being bought by foreigners, who are in a precarious position, holding this low yeilding paper denominated in detiriorating currency. the US dollar.

As China and Asia get economicaly stronger, the standing of the US dollar will keep declining toghether with its value. The potential buyers of the new mountain of debt may start demanding higher interest for their efforts to offset the risk or erroding dollar. I wouldn't be surprized if the combination of falling dollar and new debt issuance will be the base of the new bull market in yields.

Now as for stocks, its hard to say how they will react to rising interest rates. Though historicaly rising interest rates weren't a good environment for stocks.

Here's the deal...the entire world is on a FIAT currency system. If the dollar, the currency which most goods and resources are traded in, depreciates----it gives those nations (China, Russia, Japan, S Korea, India, etc) holding the dollar a license to print more of their own currency as their economy will grow without excessive inflaitonary pressures. The more dollars/weaker the dollar the more potential for runaway world growth.

There's plenty of money out there. Buy the weekly charts of stuff that's supportive of world growth. They are flat out working.

#6 Trend-Signals

Trend-Signals

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:11 PM

weak USD pro-con
http://www.chicagofe...weak_dollar.cfm

CRB trading below trendline support.
http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$CRB&p=D&yr=0&mn=11&dy=0&i=p38583385896&a=90444715&r=324.png

Edited by Trend-Signals, 20 April 2007 - 12:11 PM.

Market Timing ... Trend-Signals.com

#7 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,527 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:17 PM

The only problem with "debt" is....it has to be paid back WITH interest. Oh yes, with the average 2 offers in the mail every week for a new credit card, I am thinking about using all of them and live a very prosperous looking lifestyle. Until that is...the time when the minimum monthly payments exceed my monthly income. Hey...might as well go out in style :D
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#8 Cirrus

Cirrus

• TT Patron+
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:57 PM

All debt is not payed back--it's 'supposed to be'. There are bankruptcies and defaults everyday. It's no coincidence that inflation usually coincides with rapidly growing issuance of gov't debt and thus money creation. There's a big multiplier for every billion created with a fractal reserve banking system.