regarding off topic posts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dasein

dasein

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:32 AM

Ive mentioned this before. It appears that the TOS is selectivey enforced on this board. since Jan 31, Bob_C has made 12 off topic posts and 7 market related posts. The off topics are mostly rather unusual factoids that cannot easily be connected with the market, yet they have all remained on this board. According to the TOS, they are not allowed on this board, and should be moved to the health board. But moderators are allowing them to stay, which encourages these posts to continue on the trading board. On the other hand, Russ posted a OT post on global warming betting, which was removed to the Health board. This topic is about a betting spot that has specific global warming gambling bets that could easily be considered a kind of weather derivatives. I maintain that that post is actually relavant to the market, as you can actualy make money if you want to go to that venue. Im even considering doing so for the 100:1 odds, but I never saw it until I got to the health board, which I normaly dont do since I dont care about such topics. If you have a set of rules, they need to be enforced uniformly. Moderators are not doing this, and there doesnt seem to be the required concern at the management level to make sure they do not act on their personal preferences but act according to the rules. Maybe there needs to be a process where fine line issues are automatically passed up to the Supermoderator, i.e. Admin!thanks, klh
best,
klh

#2 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,028 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:25 PM

One thing I have a hard and fast rule about, Karen is that I don't like hard and fast rules! I similarly despise zero tolerance laws and rules. I let Bob's news bits go because they create little clutter and amount to a small break. They rarely are controversial. I like them, so we leave them. Simple. Does that make Bob special? Well, sorta. He's reliable and consistently non-controversial. If they cause problems or if there's just too many of them, well, I can start moving them. But for years now, it works fine. Why worry about it? The key is, will the post be disruptive or pleasing (at least to me)? Some OT posts can quickly get into unpleasantness. That's why we're very rather selective about what we allow. In general I allow very little and that only to create a little fun when things are slow. In any case, I'll take it under advisement. M

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#3 dasein

dasein

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:37 PM

Appreciate your explanation, Mark, and I do get the part on hard and fast rules. If this is the worst disappointment Ive had on this board(it is), I consider myself pretty lucky! You are the man. Thanks, klh
best,
klh

#4 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,028 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:07 PM

you the chick! :) BTW, the Swingwaves board is much more about strictly maintained order. It's nice, but more rigid. FF has always been about TA, but also some bits of fundamental stuff, and news, and personal stuff from time to time. It helps us maintain a more solid sense of community, I think. M

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:

#5 calmcookie

calmcookie

calmcookie

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:10 PM

you the chick!

:)

BTW, the Swingwaves board is much more about strictly maintained order. It's nice, but more rigid. FF has always been about TA, but also some bits of fundamental stuff, and news, and personal stuff from time to time. It helps us maintain a more solid sense of community, I think.

M

Uh? I'm not "THE chick?????" .... so disappointed. :( :D Just kiddin ....

(can I be "THE poet?" .... I just gotta BE somethin')

Edited by calmcookie, 25 April 2007 - 03:14 PM.

#6 Bob-C

Bob-C

• Traders-Talk User
  • 5,316 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:30 PM

One thing I have a hard and fast rule about, Karen is that I don't like hard and fast rules!

I similarly despise zero tolerance laws and rules.

I let Bob's news bits go because they create little clutter and amount to a small break. They rarely are controversial. I like them, so we leave them. Simple. Does that make Bob special? Well, sorta. He's reliable and consistently non-controversial.

If they cause problems or if there's just too many of them, well, I can start moving them. But for years now, it works fine. Why worry about it?

The key is, will the post be disruptive or pleasing (at least to me)? Some OT posts can quickly get into unpleasantness. That's why we're very rather selective about what we allow. In general I allow very little and that only to create a little fun when things are slow.

In any case, I'll take it under advisement.

M

Hi Mark, thank you very much for your nice comments. :)

All the best, :)

Bob-C
Disclaimer: None of my posts are meant to be taken as investment advice or trading advice. Do your own due diligence and consult your financial advisor before making any trades or investments.

#7 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,028 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:40 PM

you the chick!

:)

BTW, the Swingwaves board is much more about strictly maintained order. It's nice, but more rigid. FF has always been about TA, but also some bits of fundamental stuff, and news, and personal stuff from time to time. It helps us maintain a more solid sense of community, I think.

M

Uh? I'm not "THE chick?????" .... so disappointed. :( :D Just kiddin ....
(can I be "THE poet?" .... I just gotta BE somethin')

You can but only if you eschew the word "Nantucket"

:lol:

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here: