• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:36 PM

I've been struck lately about how we, people, think. After the Imus thing, the Virginia Tech thing, and the explosion in on-line forums, such as this one, it is increasingly clear to me that people approach ideas with minds closed. It would seem that from an early age, our minds are made up and our opinions shaped, or at least the groundwork for those opinions are laid down at an early age. When I listened to all the talking heads going on about Imus, the shootings, Iraq, Bush, Gun control, or read all the posts about bull versus bear, nutrition, health, whatever, all I see and hear are people pounding the table for their own convictions. I never hear or see anyone change their mind or integrate new information. I must have known this all along, but the reality of this seems to have hit me like a 2 by 4 in the head. I am motivated to do some research/reading into how and when our minds snap shut. mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#2 dasein

dasein

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:39 PM

when our minds snap shut.

As soon as we are "invested" in something <G>
klh
best,
klh

#3 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:42 PM

It seems to me that you've made up your mind about this issue! :P I'm probably going to move my SMH stop up another dime by EOD and put it on break even. My CCJ buy came very close to hitting but didn't. I'll let it ride for tomorrow and see if it hits.
In the end we retain from our studies only that which we practically apply.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~

#4 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,028 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:43 PM

I want to point out that I've changed some very agressively held and expressed ideas in past years. I did so actually through online discussion with others. On Usenet, in fact. Mark

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#5 hiker

hiker

independent trader

• TT Member*
  • 12,118 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:55 PM

fyi...site on "how to exercise an open mind" -

http://www.wikihow.c...se-an-Open-Mind

#6 ty250

ty250

• Traders-Talk User
  • 206 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:55 PM

Actually , changing a person's or company mindset is the very essence of six sigma. We all have preconceived notions, the open-minded will listen to other ideas and viewpoints and rationally evaluate the data. Doesn't mean I have to change, but I need to be aware of the pros and cons of each. The voice of the customer is paramount. The problem lies in the data that is gathered, is it fact or opinion? I fear the majority of data, such as news, is slanted to favor one side.

#7 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:57 PM

I am motivated to do some research/reading into how and when our minds snap shut.

I did a little paper on this several years ago, and as improbable as it might sound, all animals tend to gain their learning curves between Fibonacci time periods. Depending on the animal, this can range from days to years in length.

As far as humans are concerned, we pretty much have made up our minds on life experiences between the ages of 34 and 55, and "snap shut" between the ages of 55 and 89.

Happy research!

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#8 denleo

denleo

• Chartist
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:59 PM

Very good post. Very true. I change my mind frequently when it comes to markets -- from bullish to very bullish :D Just kidding. In reality most people are just looking for support instead of learning. Denleo

#9 maineman

maineman

maineman

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:59 PM

I want to point out that I've changed some very agressively held and expressed ideas in past years.

I did so actually through online discussion with others. On Usenet, in fact.

Mark

And you are probably the exception...
In practice I've seen the RARE patient quit smoking, take up exercise, improve diet, etc.but for the most part, those who are going to eat healthy already do, those who exercise already do, and so on.

Obviously people are capapble of change. What I've come to see, though, is that the majority of people are set in their thinking. Firmly. And early.

mm
He who laughs laughs laughs laughs.

My Blog -Maineman Market Advice

#10 esther231

esther231

• TT Member+
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:00 PM

It's next to impossible to learn anything when you are talking. You have to be listening to learn. Totally agree with Daesin about being invested. It's painful to be wrong. In the market, in life, where ever. Valuable to admit when I'm wrong. :) But it hurts everytime right before I do.
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells