6 replies to this topic

#1 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 03:38 PM

Too much like 1929

April 25, 2007

Bernard Ber :bear: :lol: is an investment representative with CIBC in Toronto and is currently working towards the CMA management accounting designation.

The following commentary will describe the final sequence of events that will lead to the implosion of the global economy.

As US real estate prices fall and depress US economic growth, private foreign investors begin to withdraw their capital from the US financial markets. This capital flow would by itself act to elevate the currency value of the country that it is returning to. However, the governments of developing foreign countries have policies in place to fix the exchange rate of their currencies. In order to maintain this fixed exchange rate, foreign central banks will print their own currency and exchange it for US dollars (which are then invested into US government debt). The amount of money printed and exchanged into US dollars by the foreign central bank will necessarily equate to the amount of private capital returning to the country. These central bank policies will act to artificially keep the value of the US dollar elevated and artificially keep US interest rates low.

The fixed exchange rate regime is put under great stress when private investment capital begins to leave the US, because it necessitates that the foreign central bank print much greater amounts of their own currency. This will act to boost their domestic money supply and cause their own economy and stock market to “overheat”. Additionally, in the process of exchanging increasing amounts of their own currency for US dollars, the foreign central bank rapidly builds up the amount of foreign exchange reserves that they own. The increasingly large holdings of foreign exchange reserves represent a corresponding increasingly large risk of foreign exchange losses to the central bank (should the US dollar fall in value in the future).

When the central bank fixes the exchange rate, it effectively cedes control over the domestic money supply, as they are obligated to print whatever amount of currency is required in order to offset the amount of foreign currency being brought back to the country. The only tool that the central bank has left at its disposal is to change the level of the domestic short term interest rate. However, even there its’ hands are tied, because if they decide to increase the interest rate (should the economy “overheat”), then this will only serve to worsen the situation. This will cause even more investment capital to return to the country from the US because the interest rate differential between the two countries is made more favourable, drawing in capital in search of higher interest yield.

In the face of increasing private investment inflows (caused by a deteriorating US economy), the foreign central bank is faced with a tremendous dilemma. Its economy begins to overheat and yet increasing interest rates will only serve to worsen the situation. The only way to stop the rapid acceleration in domestic money supply growth is to finally abandon the fixed exchange rate regime altogether. This will negate the necessity of printing new currency with no control.

When the fixed exchange rate regime is terminated, then newly minted funds from the foreign central bank no longer act to support the value of the US dollar and maintain low US interest rates. In effect, there is nothing left to support the US consumer anymore. The value of the US dollar collapses and US interest rates skyrocket. The skyrocketing interest rates cause a real estate crash. The collapsing value of the US dollar causes the price of gold to skyrocket. And needless to say, the stock market collapses.
..continued at: http://www.prudentbe...icles/show/2001
"Nulla tenaci invia est via" - Latin for "For the tenacious, no road is impossible".
"In order to master the markets, you must first master yourself" ... JP Morgan
"Most people lose money because they cannot admit they are wrong"... Martin Armstrong

http://marketvisions.blogspot.com/

#2 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:02 PM

My own comment on this is to note what Martin Armstrong said in the past: that in 1929 the USA had a Gold standard thereby preventing them from printing money and inflating everything so a depression ensued. Today is quite different, the US gov't essentially defaulted under Pres. Nixon and took the US off the Gold standard. The danger now is hyper-flation. German's have said that they would rather have a depression than hyper-inflation after their experience in the 1920's btw.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via" - Latin for "For the tenacious, no road is impossible".
"In order to master the markets, you must first master yourself" ... JP Morgan
"Most people lose money because they cannot admit they are wrong"... Martin Armstrong

http://marketvisions.blogspot.com/

#3 Tor

Tor

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:19 PM

Here is the issue in a nutshell as I see it. EVERYBODY knows the economy is heading for some kind of consumer led recession. Market is ignoring this information. Policy makers are aware of the dangers. In 2003 the market kept going down while macros signalled an uptick. In reverse, now we have markets showing mini parabolas while the macros are blatantly bad. What gives? There are a hoard of bears out there, look at the short interest. Margin debt extremes probably include short interest. I fought the trend, betting down. The uptrend remains for now. When it turns, I will too. My line in the sand is 12500 dow. It is an interesting juncture I think. I remain flat having capitulated on my shorts.
Observer

The future is 90% present and 10% vision.

#4 SandStorm

SandStorm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 457 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:03 PM

The usual bearish argument for the capital outflow nighmare created by both private and government of foreign entities forgets one simple fact and that is as the lone super-economic and military power of the world, many flow their capital here for non-economic reasons. The U.S. is NOT Malaysia or Thailand.

Edited by SandStorm, 27 April 2007 - 05:06 PM.

#5 Cirrus

Cirrus

• TT Patron+
  • 5,735 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:52 PM

My own comment on this is to note what Martin Armstrong said in the past: that in 1929 the USA had a Gold standard thereby preventing them from printing money and inflating everything so a depression ensued.

Today is quite different, the US gov't essentially defaulted under Pres. Nixon and took the US off the Gold standard. The danger now is hyper-flation. German's have said that they would rather have a depression than hyper-inflation after their experience in the 1920's btw.

Great post Russ. I can't figure out why many think we're going to have a depression in a FIAT environment. IMHO the best LT investment right now, perhaps in the world is high quality US agricultural RE.

#6 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,530 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:00 PM

A real "crash" requires impending depression. The only real crash I know of happenned in 1929. The 1987 crash was not a real crash since the economy was chugging along OK and the markets recovered within a much shorter time than 1929. With US congress allowed to authorize printing of money without any artificial restraint, there is ZERO chance of a "real crash". However, the business cycle has not been outlawed the last time I checked, and when the next recession arrives, markets will correctly forecast it by declining. The problem is no economist has been able to pinpoint the exact arrival time of a recession. Even the supercomputers can't do it. Bears are prematurely trying to make money on the short side. A better chance for bears will arrive after the peak house selling season has ended and statistics still look dismal.
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#7 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,964 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:19 AM

yawwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnn......gonna make the 90.s look like childs play it will...........tic toc tic toc