The lack of bulls is amazing.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,886 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:52 AM

The one issue which stands out is the lack of bulls for over a year.
Feb. 27th was preceded by the highest reading all year.
But before that and even now, the bulls are out to pasture as the markets make new highs.
The only year like this which I can see is 1998-99.
Then and now, bulls can't get above that red line.
AAII dropped to 51 this week, sentimentrader.com is still neutral.
Posted Image

From TOR's post below:
"But how have investors and Wall Street reacted? By piling on more pessimism. The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) recently reported short-interest activity for April, revealing a jump to another record. In fact, from March 15 through April 13, the number of shares short on the NYSE increased by 4.6 percent. During that same time frame, the SPX gained nearly 4.4 percent.

A bit of history should give you healthy perspective on the current short interest situation. The NYSE short-interest ratio (total short interest divided by average daily trading volume) stood at 3.7 when the SPX peaked around 1,500 in early 2000. This is a noteworthy fact as the SPX closed Friday fewer than 16 points away from this round-number area. (As a side note, the equal weighted SPX crossed above 2,000 this week and is trading at an all-time high). With the NYSE short-interest ratio currently at 6.1, this is consistent with the level of shorting activity that took place during the mid-to-late 1990's rally in the market and also the level of shorting activity that occurred as the market carved out its bear market lows in 2002-2003. Each of these periods were favorable for accumulating stocks.

Coming into last week, small traders of S&P futures netted the largest short position in the past five years. Furthermore, large speculators in E-mini S&P futures (which some suspect are hedge funds) also netted the largest short position in five years."

Edited by Rogerdodger, 29 April 2007 - 10:05 PM.

#2 Tor

Tor

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 10:10 AM

I know, it is truly amazing. Even here all I read is short this short that and top here or top there, in what has been the strongest month in a long time!! Just got to be on the lookout for a reversal if/when it happens.
Observer

The future is 90% present and 10% vision.

#3 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,886 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 10:23 AM

I had not read your post below until after I posted the AAII chart.
But it is so obvious that even I saw the lack of bulls.
Your post really says it all. IMHO :redbull:

The bulls finally "snorted" (sorry Cheif) at the end of Feb. and got their tails burned.
Since the Feb 27th sell-off, all they remember is how hot the stove can be.
Especially one imported from China.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 28 April 2007 - 10:57 AM.

#4 Tor

Tor

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:09 AM

If I am right however,then the pendulum could swing the other way quickly. That said it may not, so the trend is up and long and strong. I am flat as i closed my shorts and capitulated, but need a good entry if i get one, if not so be it this time.
Observer

The future is 90% present and 10% vision.

#5 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:38 PM

:)
We might look at some other thoughts also. If stocks etc. are held and the number of buyers grow smaller, then price will rise. Fewer buyers equal fewer bulls % wise.
Various money flow indicators also suggest this.
Brokers as a group appear to be cautious in suggesting "buy" and are favoring the "old churn" method which has been made sophisticated by the term "sector rotation", IMO.
Chart below is self explanatory.

Posted Image

The indicator is mine and reflects a number of market data with a single line.

mss
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#6 Jnavin

Jnavin

• TT Member*
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 03:15 PM

Where was the U.S. dollar in 1998/99 and where is the dollar now?

#7 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 03:32 PM

Where was the U.S. dollar in 1998/99 and where is the dollar now?

Posted Image

Just for you ;)

:cat:
WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.

#8 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,886 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 05:16 PM

Interesting question on the dollar. Somehow I think you already knew the answer. ;) Now as I see that chart, if I would have bought $116 worth of the S&P at the last peak in the summer of 2000 and held till now I could sell and get almost all of my $116 back...but it would be worth only $82. What a deal. <_<

#9 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 06:11 PM

If I am right however,then the pendulum could swing the other way quickly. That said it may not, so the trend is up and long and strong. I am flat as i closed my shorts and capitulated, but need a good entry if i get one, if not so be it this time.

Tor,

Why not trade a small long position, instead of flat ?

#10 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 07:00 PM

People who know more about the dollar than I will need to comment on its relationship to the two periods.
HOWEVER:
A long look at these charts might have a bearing on your trading. We could get a rapid decline, we could get a rapid rise, or some consolidation.
There is no doubt that at the present MOMENTUM & STRENGTH is favored to the upside.
The BLUE indicator (measurement) is the same on each chart ONLY the time frame is changed.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Comments welcome.
mss