I suppose with that Oil Refinary fire

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:31 PM

Energy stocks will take off some more. I should have gone with the oil servicing issue instead of Uranium!
In the end we retain from our studies only that which we practically apply.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~

#2 CLK

CLK

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,787 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:53 PM

I've never met anyone that made any money trading. People say they do alot though. I suppose if someone amassed 1 million through employment and 401k, they could manage to scalp 5-10% off the market average yearly, which on that amount of capital would be a good living. But if I had a million, it would be mostly in CD's, not the stock market. I'd have a guaranteed 5% return with no headaches. Markets are constantly changing, what works one year fails the next. Lots of chartists everywhere, most end up wrong. Bottom line is, to not lose. Give a long index position enough time, and you won't. Long term investors are the ones that end up with a good reward for their effort. I'm convinced that the best way to invest is to buy, not short. Buy weekly oversold in both bull and bear markets. For 401k, dollar cost averaging works well, and when the market sells off alot, increase the weekly paycheck investment deduction.

#3 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:28 AM

I've already decided to move half of my trading pile this year, over into my broadly diversified buy and hold stuff. I did the same thing last year. And of course, my wife and I are both slamming as much as we can into our 401K plans. I've got one of those funds in my 401K that is aimed at the year you retire and it becomes "more conservative" the closer you get to retirement. And it's outperforming my trading at this point. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not one of those people who can beat the market but I like playing around at it. So as long as I do no serious damage and have the bulk of my assets away from my trading, I'm happy.
In the end we retain from our studies only that which we practically apply.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~

#4 matrose

matrose

• Traders-Talk User
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 06:26 PM

Energy stocks will take off some more

Sentientbeing,
Do not assume I am trading futures - I am merely trying to buy at the pump on the imagined dips for 2 cars.

It is news driven , it is seasonal , and international and my gawd is is earlier and larger this year.
Cursory examination of stockcharts daily for $Gaso (unleaded ) undelivered and more signifigantly untaxed (futures).
full duration of $Gaso chart ' high ' 1 Sept 2005 at $2.409

2 Aug 2006 at $2.337

27 April 2007 at $2.36 (up 3.1 % in day)