Bearish Charts

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:08 PM

While markets may go up very short term, it looks like a bigger down move should unfold. Breakout on vix chart measure up to 21 based on triangle base width.

Posted Image

Posted Image
"Nulla tenaci invia est via" - Latin for "For the tenacious, no road is impossible".
"In order to master the markets, you must first master yourself" ... JP Morgan
"Most people lose money because they cannot admit they are wrong"... Martin Armstrong

http://marketvisions.blogspot.com/

#2 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,964 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:28 PM

While markets may go up very short term, it looks like a bigger down move should unfold. Breakout on vix chart measure up to 21 based on triangle base width.

Posted Image

Posted Image

the last time the vix went from 8 to 50.....the dow went from 3000 to 12000.......soo.....the next time the vix gets to 50 i suspect the dow will be around 30k....... ;)

#3 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:34 PM

the last time the vix went from 8 to 50.....the dow went from 3000 to 12000.......soo.....the next time the vix gets to 50 i suspect the dow will be around 30k....... ;)

Way down the road I agree, but I'm just talking shorter term here. Here's another that doesn't look too sweet...

Posted Image
"Nulla tenaci invia est via" - Latin for "For the tenacious, no road is impossible".
"Most people lose money because they cannot admit they are wrong"... Martin Armstrong

#4 thespookyone

thespookyone

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:45 PM

Nice backtest on the rising wedge brakdown on the Wiltshire. Backtests are my favorite place to short-little risk, great potential.

Edited by thespookyone, 01 May 2007 - 09:46 PM.

#5 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:49 PM

Here's another that doesn't look too sweet...

I really don't wish to be a pain in the rear end, but where is the daily volume that would help in applying the preferred trendline analysis to the pattern given? Without it, it may not be a snapback, and you don't really know which fan formation line you're working with, no less the difference between what could be analyzed as a wedge and that of a leading diagonal.

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#6 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:19 PM

My data provider doesn't give volume for the Wilshire 5000 but ok ok...if you insist...this clearly shows degrading money flows. BTW...why don't you go after Teaparty for not posting volume? Why don't you post a chart with your volume insights?

http://stockcharts.com/c-sc/sc?s=$WLSH&p=D&b=5&g=0&i=p54115419496&r=3504.png

Here's another that doesn't look too sweet...

I really don't wish to be a pain in the rear end, but where is the daily volume that would help in applying the preferred trendline analysis to the pattern given? Without it, it may not be a snapback, and you don't really know which fan formation line you're working with, no less the difference between what could be analyzed as a wedge and that of a leading diagonal.

Fib

#7 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:39 PM

Here is a better gif of the Wilshire chart, this one is semi-log, the middle blue line goes right back to the low of the crash of 2002. Had some trouble with the other image hoster, you must click on this chart to enlarge it.

Posted Image

Edited by Russ, 01 May 2007 - 10:41 PM.

#8 fib_1618

fib_1618

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,145 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:48 PM

My data provider doesn't give volume for the Wilshire 5000 but ok ok...if you insist...this clearly shows degrading money flows.

Funny, I see increasing daily volume patterns as the uptrend continued to mature. This is consistent to most trending sequences, both up and down.

BTW...why don't you go after Teaparty for not posting volume?

A. I have many times in the past.
B. What Craig is concentrating on doesn't really need daily volume analysis, though it would help in providing a more well rounded and simplified picture.

Why don't you post a chart with your volume insights?

No one ever asks me to.

In fact, many would rather fight with me than to probe me to what I may know that they might be missing.

Maybe one day.

In the meantime, I will try to open some eyes without taking away the thrill of discovery.

Yes, I know, now I sound pompous. But my intentions are, and have always been, guileless.

Fib

Better to ignore me than abhor me.

“Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it” - Benjamin Franklin

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance" - George Bernard Shaw

Demagogue: A leader who makes use of popular prejudices, false claims and promises in order to gain power.

Technical Watch Subscriptions

#9 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:53 PM

Funny, I see increasing daily volume patterns as the uptrend continued to mature. This is consistent to most trending sequences, both up and down.

The trendline on the volume bars from about april 12 was broken and today's volume is well below it.

Edited by Russ, 01 May 2007 - 10:54 PM.

#10 arbman

arbman

Quant

• Traders-Talk User
  • 19,504 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 01:19 AM

This is simply not true, actually very wrong and misleading, the implied volatility increases ahead of the declines and continues to increase during the declines, it declines during the rallies. There is probably no single instance where the VIX goes above 25 and continues to increase that the market did not follow a significant decline such as a correction or crash, it is not the case at the moment though...