IB traders

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vitaminm

vitaminm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 01:48 PM

How one can trade at IB without subcribing their market data? Would you be able to see bid/ask price when you place an order? Which platform is better?
vitaminm

#2 tozwp

tozwp

• Traders-Talk User
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:42 PM

How one can trade at IB without subcribing their market data? Would you be able to see bid/ask price when you place an order? Which platform is better?

I've traded open outcry futures in the past with it without subscribing to market data. You can still place orders but there are no prices in the bid & ask fields.

I used the stand alone version of the program for years. I tried the web version maybe five years ago and it was very slow in comparison. Don't know if its any different now or not. I don't have any problems with the stand alone and recommend it.

#3 TechSkeptic

TechSkeptic

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:45 PM

I used to trade Canadian stocks without market data, but now I trade them often enough that I added the subscription. Like tozwp said, you just don't see the bid and ask, so I would just use delayed data from stockcharts.com to get an idea of the price and then just place a limit order. The Java-based standalone version is the most versatile, but some people have issues with Firewalls, so if you're affected you can use the web platform. They also have a mobile platform, so you can trade from a cell phone with data service.

#4 vitaminm

vitaminm

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,701 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:51 PM

I've traded open outcry futures in the past with it without subscribing to market data. You can still place orders but there are no prices in the bid & ask fields.

I used the stand alone version of the program for years. I tried the web version maybe five years ago and it was very slow in comparison. Don't know if its any different now or not. I don't have any problems with the stand alone and recommend it.

Thanks

I used to trade Canadian stocks without market data, but now I trade them often enough that I added the subscription. Like tozwp said, you just don't see the bid and ask, so I would just use delayed data from stockcharts.com to get an idea of the price and then just place a limit order.

The Java-based standalone version is the most versatile, but some people have issues with Firewalls, so if you're affected you can use the web platform. They also have a mobile platform, so you can trade from a cell phone with data service.

Thanks
vitaminm