Symantec warning - someone mentioned it recently

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 muppet

muppet

• Traders-Talk User
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 06:47 PM

Seem to remember someone posting a message about a major problem with Symantec ... something to do with talking to a government friend? Can't remember ... but I am having major computer hassles ever since installing Norton Ghost. Attempted to do a recovery from Ghost, back to my computer and something BAD has happened. I don't know if the Symantec product is causing the problem or not. Computer is running ULTRA slow .... and I mean SLOOOOOOW as thick honey. It also seems to be overheating (fan problem?). It's a Toshiba laptop. ANY suggestions appreciated. Guess I'll have to take it in to be looked at, but curious as to the past TT comment about Symantec problems. Anyone remember that post? Thanks in advance, M.

Edited by muppet, 03 May 2007 - 06:47 PM.

#2 norton

norton

• TT Member
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:09 PM

Symantec's virus definitions are no more a memory hog than any other's, and should not be the cause of the slowdown. However, you may have visited a website than infected your puter with spyware. Best solution is to back up anything valuable, and put in your main recovery disk and completely return your puter to virgin clean as the day you got it. Simple, takes maybe a hour or less, and solves the problem.
Please, help stamp out vibration.

#3 raleigh

raleigh

• Traders-Talk User
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:06 PM

Do you move your laptop around alot, travel with it etc etc ? Then its subject to mechanical wear and tear, hardbdrive damage etc. Laptops 'age' fast as a result of mechanical failure. How old is?

#4 mdwllc

mdwllc

• Traders-Talk User
  • 574 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:17 PM

Seem to remember someone posting a message about a major problem with Symantec ... something to do with talking to a government friend? Can't remember ... but I am having major computer hassles ever since installing Norton Ghost. Attempted to do a recovery from Ghost, back to my computer and something BAD has happened. I don't know if the Symantec product is causing the problem or not.

Computer is running ULTRA slow .... and I mean SLOOOOOOW as thick honey. It also seems to be overheating (fan problem?). It's a Toshiba laptop. ANY suggestions appreciated. Guess I'll have to take it in to be looked at, but curious as to the past TT comment about Symantec problems. Anyone remember that post?

Thanks in advance, M.

M: I made a statement, in responding to a question, that the Government and it subcontractors have moved away from Norton because there was a built in Trojan to allow its programmers to "get in". Your problem is probably not related to that fact, however, most "techies" don't care for Norton because they get too intertwined with Windows, and does slow it down. You might want to check the PC World web-site which has an evaluation of the anti-virus crowd possibilities. In full disclosure, if you're looking for straight anti-virus that doesn't get intertwined, I use avast!4 personal which gets high rating, works with minimal interference and is free...but there are some others...MDW :) .
Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way...

Be Sure to Perform Your Own Due Diligence

#5 TTHQ Staff

TTHQ Staff

www.TTHQ.com

• Admin
  • 8,597 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:35 AM

Muppet, try this : Lavasoft's Adaware (free version)

My bet is that you've got adware and/or spyware stealing your resources. It's an easy first place to start, anyway. If you run the software and you're clean, at least you'll know.

(personal GLOWING recommendation, I've used AdAware for years.)

#6 mdwllc

mdwllc

• Traders-Talk User
  • 574 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:06 PM

Seem to remember someone posting a message about a major problem with Symantec ... something to do with talking to a government friend? Can't remember ... but I am having major computer hassles ever since installing Norton Ghost. Attempted to do a recovery from Ghost, back to my computer and something BAD has happened. I don't know if the Symantec product is causing the problem or not.

Computer is running ULTRA slow .... and I mean SLOOOOOOW as thick honey. It also seems to be overheating (fan problem?). It's a Toshiba laptop. ANY suggestions appreciated. Guess I'll have to take it in to be looked at, but curious as to the past TT comment about Symantec problems. Anyone remember that post?

Thanks in advance, M.

M: I made a statement, in responding to a question, that the Government and it subcontractors have moved away from Norton because there was a built in Trojan to allow its programmers to "get in". Your problem is probably not related to that fact, however, most "techies" don't care for Norton because they get too intertwined with Windows, and does slow it down. You might want to check the PC World web-site which has an evaluation of the anti-virus crowd possibilities. In full disclosure, if you're looking for straight anti-virus that doesn't get intertwined, I use avast!4 personal which gets high rating, works with minimal interference and is free...but there are some others...MDW :) .

M: I went back and found the link I use to refer to quite frequently. It's the "utilities" that one must have...http://www.majorgeek.../page.php?id=20.....MDW :)
Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way...

Be Sure to Perform Your Own Due Diligence

#7 muppet

muppet

• Traders-Talk User
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Have gotten rid of Symantec. It has been nothing but problems since the word GO ... never even got the rebate, despite meticulous care in filling out their forms. And it was the beginning of my computer running incredibly SLOWLY. And those very annoying, constant, bright yellow symbols at start up. YUK!!! And all those pop up reminders to do little "clean ups" .... they are forever in your face ... well, no more for me ... thank goodness!!! I don't know how anyone puts up with Symantec. Have found alternatives to Ghost and a better anti-virus program ... I think ... will report back once I've used it for a while. And also ... my fan needed cleaning ... full of dust. Best to all, M.

Edited by muppet, 04 May 2007 - 08:07 PM.