18 replies to this topic

#1 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,874 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:19 PM

Frontlinethoughts.com
John Mauldin's Last Bear Standing:
...someone asked our thoughts about the direction of the stock market.
Richard
Russell (of Dow Theory Letter fame) started off, and I expected him to give his usual bearish answer, but it did not come.
"We are seeing all three Dow averages (30, transports and utilities) at all-time highs. My own proprietary private indicator, the PTI (primary trend index) is bullish. I expect to see all the markets go on to record new highs."

The Street.com excerpted some of the more salient quotes from Grantham's recent newsletter. From their site:
"While euphoria sweeps stock markets here and worldwide, there are at least a few voices of dissent. One, unsurprisingly, is legendary value investor Jeremy Grantham - the man a lot of rich people, trust with their money. Grantham ... has been a voice of caution for years. But he has upped his concerns in his latest letter to shareholders. Grantham says we are now seeing the first worldwide bubble in history covering all asset classes.

"'Everything is in bubble territory,' he says. 'Everything. The bursting of this bubble will be across all countries and all assets.'

So, does he counsel you to run for the hills? No. Their study of bubbles suggests there is a short but dramatic "exponential" phase before the bubble bursts. He writes:

"My colleagues suggest that this global bubble has not yet had this phase and perhaps they are right. ... In which case, pessimists or conservatives will take considerably more pain."

So what is fueling the stock market if it is not a rising economy? Let's look at a few possible reasons.

First, we are seeing large amounts of stock being taken out of public hands and going into private hands. Lombard Street Research reports that net retirement of stock in nonfinancial US companies reached 5.2% of GDP in the last quarter of 2006, and about 6.5% of their market value. About 85% of that was financed by debt of some kind, either through buy-backs, takeovers, or private equity (the latter of which is highly leveraged).

Second, money supply does matter. We are seeing the broad money supply indicators (M-2 and M-3) rise not only in the US but all over the world. This is not a central bank pumping function but a market-driven phenomenon, as leverage is increasing the capital deployed in today's markets. The central banks of the world have largely lost the ability to control the money supply, other than by the narrowest of measures, which are increasingly less meaningful. We are not seeing the rapid increase in money supply show up in inflation or loss of buying power but rather as inflation in asset prices of every kind, as Grantham notes.

Edited by Rogerdodger, 04 May 2007 - 10:44 PM.

#2 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,198 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:43 PM

"Dow 3600, Dramatic "exponential" phase coming" Must be a Freudian slip Roger Dow 3600 is going to take it down into a depression!
"Nulla tenaci invia est via" - Latin for "For the tenacious, no road is impossible".
"In order to master the markets, you must first master yourself" ... JP Morgan
"Most people lose money because they cannot admit they are wrong"... Martin Armstrong

http://marketvisions.blogspot.com/

#3 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,963 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:22 PM

in january 86 there was a barrons cover.......ARE YOU READY FOR DOW 3600??... ....does anyone remember who they were quoting......and whoes face was on the barrons cover??????

#4 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,198 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:30 PM

in january 86 there was a barrons cover.......ARE YOU READY FOR DOW 3600??... ....does anyone remember who they were quoting......and whoes face was on the barrons cover??????

I give up but it must have been someone Snorting who likes fast cars! :redbull:
"Nulla tenaci invia est via" - Latin for "For the tenacious, no road is impossible".
"Most people lose money because they cannot admit they are wrong"... Martin Armstrong

#5 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,963 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:37 PM

actually it was RP.... didnt see 3600 for about 7 years or so...

#6 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,874 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:45 PM

What's a few zeros amoung friends? Unless your friends are zeros... :lol:

#7 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,198 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:48 PM

actually it was RP.... didnt see 3600 for about 7 years or so...

So RP was not always so bad eh?

#8 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,963 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:07 PM

well he was never bad....just never good...........can you imagine how his rep would soared if he looked at the market the way i do?????.....here he was....had the media in his palm and blew it all away because he couldnt see past his nose when it came to the worlds order and the effect that freedom would have on the worlds emerging economies......it was all there in the markets action......sigh.....his problem like so many others was that instead of looking forward he kept looking back.....u know...wearing out all that 1929 crap

#9 n83

n83

• Traders-Talk User
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 08:07 AM

well he was never bad....just never good...........can you imagine how his rep would soared if he looked at the market the way i do?????.....here he was....had the media in his palm and blew it all away because he couldnt see past his nose when it came to the worlds order and the effect that freedom would have on the worlds emerging economies......it was all there in the markets action......sigh.....his problem like so many others was that instead of looking forward he kept looking back.....u know...wearing out all that 1929 crap

"..when it came to the worlds order and the effect that freedom would have on the worlds emerging economies"

so it isn't really all about TA

i know/knew (nothing against you, just that much more than market action, ta has to be accounted to make predictions and look out into the future, even tax cuts)

Edited by n83, 05 May 2007 - 08:12 AM.

#10 da_cheif

da_cheif

• Traders-Talk User
  • 10,963 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 08:55 AM

"..when it came to the worlds order and the effect that freedom would have on the worlds emerging economies"

so it isn't really all about TA

i know/knew (nothing against you, just that much more than market action, ta has to be accounted to make predictions and look out into the future, even tax cuts)

ta predicted all this 30 years ago......geeziz....leave me alone willya......