Episodes of hyperinflation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tor

Tor

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,647 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 11:56 AM

I thought this was good background reading. For anyone interested.

http://www.sjsu.edu/...tkins/hyper.htm
Observer

The future is 90% present and 10% vision.

#2 flyers&divers

flyers&divers

• TT Patron+
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:48 PM

The description of hyperinflation as it played out in Yugoslavia is heartbreaking. I am originally from Hungary and I was a toddler after the II.WW when the communists decided to debase the currency there to wipe out the aristocracy and middle class.. The workweek was six days those days and people got paid in cash. My father would run to the grocery to spend all the money Saturday after work because by Monday it was worth much less. Also, I have two Hungarian banknotes one is One Billion Million the other is One Million Billion, printed the same week. Seriously, I guess they lost count. To this day I can't get an answer from my Hungarian cousin who happens to be a banker (and speaks fluent English) what is the proper word for a Million Billion. Regards F&D
"Successful trading is more about Sun Tzu then Elliott." F&D

#3 PorkLoin

PorkLoin

• TT Member*
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:32 AM

a Million Billion

= a quadrillion, although in England a quadrillion is a billion of our American quadrillions.

#4 flyers&divers

flyers&divers

• TT Patron+
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:04 AM

"Successful trading is more about Sun Tzu then Elliott." F&D

#5 PorkLoin

PorkLoin

• TT Member*
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:08 PM

"The "Traditional British" values shown are unused in American English, are becoming obsolete in British English, but are dominant in continental Europe and other non-English areas"

Man oh man it looks to me like for Hungary in the 1940s or 1950s it may well have been a 1 followed by 18 zeros for a "million billion" or vice-versa.

Yee Haa.