Love the smell of Walmart in the morning

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 thespookyone

thespookyone

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:54 PM

Walmart earnings in the morning should give Joe Sixpack an idea of what the retail future looks like-and I doubt it is pretty. Home Depot may have some interesting things to say in the afternoon, as well. I'm short the Q's here, and content that the Williams % is dropping, adx is weak, macd looks ready to plunge, and I'm feeling a negative aroon cross is on the way. Higher volume on the Q's drop today than on Fridays rise(what's new?) , and equity traders still snoofing it up at the trough on calls, lovely. On the other hand, maybe TA no longer matters, and we are truly on our way to a straight shot to da moon, because it is "going to be different this time"- I'll take my chances, short term. Spooky

#2 Sentient Being

Sentient Being

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,262 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:37 PM

It's been a busy day here but I heard on the way in to work that things were looking ugly at Wallmart. I forget the details. I've never been a Wallmart shopper. I'm more of an internet person. Living in Rural USA and instead of the Sears Catalog we just google whatever we need then buy it. Last week it was the grill parts to fix up the grill. The old grill is looking pretty good now with all those new, stainless steel parts. This past weekend I finished moving a few accounts over to the buy and hold side of my investments. That leaves me with one trading account.
In the end we retain from our studies only that which we practically apply.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~

#3 thespookyone

thespookyone

• Traders-Talk User
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:42 PM

It's been a busy day here but I heard on the way in to work that things were looking ugly at Wallmart. I forget the details. I've never been a Wallmart shopper. I'm more of an internet person. Living in Rural USA and instead of the Sears Catalog we just google whatever we need then buy it. Last week it was the grill parts to fix up the grill. The old grill is looking pretty good now with all those new, stainless steel parts.

This past weekend I finished moving a few accounts over to the buy and hold side of my investments. That leaves me with one trading account.

Thanks for the info. I'm really an internet shopper myself, for the most part. Gas prices being what they are, it just doesn't pay me to drive and buy, as I live on a few acres out in the country myself.

#4 pdx5

pdx5

I want return OF my money more than return ON my money

• Traders-Talk User
  • 9,529 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:30 PM

The nearest Wal-Mart is only 2 miles from my house, and after opening 1.5 years ago it has been packed with customers. Yesterday, after picking up my $4 prescription, I was browsing for a sweater. A saleslady saw me looking at the price tag, came over and said "that is a great price, you might want to get 2 or 3 of those". Now that is a first when someone at Wal-mart pushing merchandise. Come to think of it the store looked pretty empty.
"Money cannot consistently be made trading every day or every week during the year." ~ Jesse Livermore Trading Rule

#5 wyocowboy

wyocowboy

• Traders-Talk User
  • 424 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:22 PM

Walmart has the lowest price - Always the lowest price.......also they have the worst customer service -Always a huge line at the the three checkout stands (out of 23) that have a clerk. But I must confess, Home Depot is now giving them some competition in the worst service department....
Good luck is with the man who doesn't include it in his plan.
- Graffitti

#6 OEXCHAOS

OEXCHAOS

Mark S. Young

• Admin
  • 22,027 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:11 AM

Walmart has the lowest price - Always the lowest price.......also they have the worst customer service -Always a huge line at the the three checkout stands (out of 23) that have a clerk. But I must confess, Home Depot is now giving them some competition in the worst service department....

Gotta agree with you there. It's not that the folks are dullards who don't care, it's that it appears to be their first job. They know almost NOTHING (at least around here).

I say that we need to cut S.S. so that we can get some of those old wise seniors to take jobs at HD...and keep them.

We've always had problems around here with our low end retailers. I used to rail about K-mart never having anything I needed priced. I figured that a low end retailer ought to understand that their key constituency was prince-sensitive. They never did figure that out. I long ago decided that they are merely a convenience store. If I care what I pay, I'll drive elsewhere. Even after the Sears merger they still seem to retain the same culture.

Then again, I also note that when I have bought stuff there, I was amazed at the pricing. There can't be much margin to work with.

M

Mark S Young
Wall Street Sentiment
Get a free trial here:
http://wallstreetsen...t.com/trial.htm
You can now follow me on twitter

#7 mss

mss

I'M WATCHING

• TT Sponsor
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:21 AM

I say that we need to cut S.S. so that we can get some of those old wise seniors to take jobs at HD...and keep them.
M

:( The old wise seniors are the ones working now. They can't live on S.S., TOO many other people drawing. :cry:

Then again, I also note that when I have bought stuff there, I was amazed at the pricing. There can't be much margin to work with.

This is so true, ask "fib", he can tell you. :D
:cat:

Edited by mss, 15 May 2007 - 06:23 AM.

WOMEN & CATS WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE, AND MEN & DOGS SHOULD GET USED TO THE IDEA.
A DOG ALWAYS OFFERS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. CATS HAVE TO THINK ABOUT IT!!

#8 skott

skott

• Traders-Talk User
  • 4,712 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:34 AM

business has definitely slowed at walmart. I've been talking to some of the greeters and others there and they were talking about slow business months ago. And now we see sales down 3.5% worst month ever. I used to own a retail store and always could smell a slowdown. their stores are not nearly as busy as they used to be