DOW Extremes within some Context

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jmicou

jmicou

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:41 PM

Using Decision Point charts, it may be better to wait for divergence as indicated before positioning short (please overlook the typos on the charts):
Posted Image

Edited by jmicou, 16 May 2007 - 08:43 PM.

#2 Russ

Russ

• Traders-Talk User
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:27 PM

Is the summation higher now than it was in the late 1990's?
"Nulla tenaci invia est via" - Latin for "For the tenacious, no road is impossible".
"In order to master the markets, you must first master yourself" ... JP Morgan
"Most people lose money because they cannot admit they are wrong"... Martin Armstrong

http://marketvisions.blogspot.com/

#3 jmicou

jmicou

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:52 PM

Is the summation higher now than it was in the late 1990's?

Unfortunately, the charts have basically all of the data shown. Would really like to see DOW MCSUM and Volume MCSUM for many years back for comparative purposes and to get a better relationship to the configurations of late.

#4 jmicou

jmicou

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:05 PM

For giggles-n-grins, a different internal chart of the big dog:
Posted Image

#5 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:08 PM

IT LOOKS LIKE A NICE UPTREND SINCE THE 1974 LOW. I think Da-Cheif is long since then. That's when he sold his dragster and bought Walmart. :ninja:

Edited by Rogerdodger, 16 May 2007 - 11:16 PM.

#6 jmicou

jmicou

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:14 PM

IT LOOKS LIKE A NICE UPTREND SINCE THE 1974 LOW.
I think Da-Cheif is long since then.
That's when he sold his dragster and bought Walmart. :ninja:

:lol:
Curious what the SPX COT contract results look like Friday:
Posted Image

#7 jmicou

jmicou

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:28 PM

IT LOOKS LIKE A NICE UPTREND SINCE THE 1974 LOW.
I think Da-Cheif is long since then.
That's when he sold his dragster and bought Walmart. :ninja:

Hey, wait a minute. My family still owns stocks bought back in the early 80s. <_<

#8 Gary Smith

Gary Smith

• Traders-Talk User
  • 887 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:30 PM

Sentiment indicators go in and out of vogue and effectiveness (witness the broken Investors Intelligence poll since 2003) but since last May the sentiment indicator that has been spot-on has been the COT in the large S&P contract. It has suddenly become the most awaited weekly indicator by some in the trading fraternity and Johnny has provided some of the better charts of this indicator. I've used the COT in the stock futures since the early 90s and it has been a long time since it has been this accurate. A more simplified non charting version of this indicator during the past year has been to simply lighten up or go to cash as the commercials reach into the 40,000 to 50,000 net short range. The past several weeks it has been more like a flashback to the 80s and early to mid 90s with the commercials net long and the small specs (the non-reportables) net short.

#9 jmicou

jmicou

• Traders-Talk User
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:48 PM

Sentiment indicators go in and out of vogue and effectiveness (witness the broken Investors Intelligence poll since 2003) but since last May the sentiment indicator that has been spot-on has been the COT in the large S&P contract. It has suddenly become the most awaited weekly indicator by some in the trading fraternity and Johnny has provided some of the better charts of this indicator. I've used the COT in the stock futures since the early 90s and it has been a long time since it has been this accurate. A more simplified non charting version of this indicator during the past year has been to simply lighten up or go to cash as the commercials reach into the 40,000 to 50,000 net short range. The past several weeks it has been more like a flashback to the 80s and early to mid 90s with the commercials net long and the small specs (the non-reportables) net short.

What a very nice compliment. Thank you.

My son has recently expressed an interest in trading and investing. He unwittingly asked my advice. Firstly, he received a beginning reading list, which included a book of yours, and some interchange of ideas. The goal is for him to have a strong fundamental understanding of TA, but moreover, to enhance his perceptibility of market dynamics and trading psychology.

Regards,

Johnny

#10 Rogerdodger

Rogerdodger

• TT Member*
  • 26,877 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:11 AM

My family still owns stocks bought back in the early 80s.

Walmart has made a bunch of little old ladies wealthy beyond their wildest dreams.
A friend of ours was a cashier there. She was paid those "low wages" but was an "associate" who got stock in her retirement account for 30 years.
I think Walmart was $0.014 per share in 1974 pre-split prices!